Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

The dutch word is HEILIG.

HELD is used as a benediction in the OLB, like "hail", "heil", "health", "behoud".

Etcetera.

It couldn't be more obvious.

What you should do is browse all different uses in OLB of HELD, HALD and HOLD (control F).

And our Saint/Holy Jesus Healed the sick and broken haerted.

I think you have a keen sense for language Otharus.

Santé.

That's because hel is not hill - it's incline or North

hel linga only makes it slope because it's hel/incline linga/length

a hellinga is a hill in that sentence because that's what a hill is, to them - the length of the incline - the slope = a hill

The OLB word for hill is hellinga in that instance you showed.

The ling is not an added ing or ling - it's the etymology for long - it's a particular word 'linga'.

I'll revise on the Hellinggar:

The OLB is hellinggar - with helling with the ng letter then a gar added - helling gar

It might be - gar as in estate/land

helling gars

hellinga - incline length = slope = hill

helling gars - incline length (drop the a) + estate/land then it says HETEN = slope land heten/types/ethnicity

Edited by The Puzzler

That's because hel is not hill - it's incline or North

hel linga only makes it slope because it's hel/incline linga/length

a hellinga is a hill in that sentence because that's what a hill is, to them - the length of the incline - the slope = a hill

The OLB word for hill is hellinga in that instance you showed.

The ling is not an added ing or ling - it's the etymology for long - it's a particular word 'linga'.

I'll revise on the Hellinggar:

The OLB is hellinggar - with helling with the ng letter then a gar added - helling gar

It might be - gar as in estate/land

helling gars

hellinga - incline length = slope = hill

helling gars - incline length (drop the a) + estate/land then it says HETEN = slope land heten/types/ethnicity

Well, these are some other examples from the OLB:

ЄÐELINGA, TÆLLINGA, BANNALINGA, SÆNDALINGA

https://sites.google.com/site/oeralindabook/tekst/manuscript

Because it is nothing more than a suffix added to a stem, you will not see that connecting line that always shows up in the OLB when a composition of two nouns is meant.

NOW I WILL WRITE ABOUT HIS SON ADEL.

Friso thêr vsa skidnese lêred hêde ut-et bok thêra Adellinga, hêde ella dên vmbe hjara frjundskip to winnande.

Friso, who had learned our history from the book of the Adelingen, had done everything in his power to win their friendship.

http://oeralinda.angelfire.com/#bv

And "Adellingen" is nothing but 'those who follow Adel" or Adel's followers.

Well, these are some other examples from the OLB:

ЄÐELINGA, TÆLLINGA, BANNALINGA, SÆNDALINGA

https://sites.google...ekst/manuscript

Because it is nothing more than a suffix added to a stem, you will not see that connecting line that always shows up in the OLB when a composition of two nouns is meant.

The word means longer - a length (of time etc).

bannalinga is used for exiles.

banna is used for banish

exiles are banished longer - forever

I haven't got time to find each one of those words but I'd say each one is the same - linga really means length or long/longer.

If it was suffix -ling, it would have ling but they all say linga. East germanic -linga is ling --- to me, that says ling the suffix was once linga meaning longer/length. The difference is the OLB has linga, not ling.

*-ling

, afries., Suff., st. M. (a): Vw.: s. ba-l-, ef-t-er-swe-s-t-er-, êg-, even-knÆ-, fiõr-,

frÆ-, hal-, hâv-ed-, ju-n-g-e-, knÆ-, or-d-, swe-s-t-er-, thre-d-knÆ-, thre-d-, sun-d-er-,

wêd-; E.: germ. *-linga, Suff.

*ling-a

, afries., Präp.: Vw.: s. *leng-a

Edited by The Puzzler

The word means longer - a length (of time etc).

bannalinga is used for exiles.

banna is used for banish

exiles are banished longer - forever

I haven't got time to find each one of those words but I'd say each one is the same - linga really means length or long/longer.

No Puzz. a BANNELING is nothing but someone banned = an exile.

And please, also try to explain those other words I quoted from the OLB.

No Puzz. a BANNELING is nothing but someone banned = an exile.

And please, also try to explain those other words I quoted from the OLB.

You are just not getting it.

ling comes from longer - all your ling words will mean linga/lingr/longer

banna is in the OLB

bannalinga is in the OLB - bannalinga is NOT bannaling or banneling in the OLB. The OLB word is bannaLINGA.

This is way before anything you are coming up with.

-ling dictionary.gif diminutive suffix, early 14c., from O.E. -ling a nominal suffix (not originally diminutive), from P.Gmc. *-linga-; attested in historical Germanic languages as a simple suffix, but probably representing a fusion of the suffixes represented by English -le (cf. icicle, thimble, handle), from O.E. -ol, -ul, -el; and -ing, suffix indicating "person or thing of a specific kind or origin;" in masculine nouns also "son of" (cf. farthing, atheling, O.E. horing "adulterer, fornicator"). Both these suffixes had occasional diminutive force, but this was only slightly evident in O.E. -ling and its equivalents in Germanic languages except Norse, where it commonly was used as a diminutive suffix, especially in words designating the young of animals (e.g. gæslingr "gosling"). Thus it is possible that the diminutive use that developed in Middle English is from Old Norse.

http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

ICICLE was once ice longa - a longer piece of ice

HANDLE - it made your hand longer

duckling and gosling are probably because the duck looked longer with a string of babies behind them - ducklinga

Show me where those words are and I'll have a go then, I'm positive it's what it means.

Edited by The Puzzler

If it was suffix -ling, it would have ling but they all say linga. East germanic -linga is ling --- to me, that says ling the suffix was once linga meaning longer/length. The difference is the OLB has linga, not ling.

So now you are suggesting that the modern Dutch word "BANNELING" has no relationship with the older word "BANNELINGA"??

If I reason like that, I could shoot down every etymology you ever came up with.

--

How about those other words I quoted?

-

And how about this :

boreling =. ‘pasgeboren kind’ = a newborn child

http://www.etymologiebank.nl/trefwoord/boreling

Nothing 'lengthy' in being a newborn, I'd say.

You are just not getting it.

ling comes from longer - all your ling words will mean linga/lingr/longer

banna is in the OLB

bannalinga is in the OLB - bannalinga is NOT bannaling or banneling in the OLB. The OLB word is bannaLINGA.

This is way before anything you are coming up with.

-ling dictionary.gif diminutive suffix, early 14c., from O.E. -ling a nominal suffix (not originally diminutive), from P.Gmc. *-linga-; attested in historical Germanic languages as a simple suffix, but probably representing a fusion of the suffixes represented by English -le (cf. icicle, thimble, handle), from O.E. -ol, -ul, -el; and -ing, suffix indicating "person or thing of a specific kind or origin;" in masculine nouns also "son of" (cf. farthing, atheling, O.E. horing "adulterer, fornicator"). Both these suffixes had occasional diminutive force, but this was only slightly evident in O.E. -ling and its equivalents in Germanic languages except Norse, where it commonly was used as a diminutive suffix, especially in words designating the young of animals (e.g. gæslingr "gosling"). Thus it is possible that the diminutive use that developed in Middle English is from Old Norse.

http://www.etymonlin...owed_in_frame=0

ICICLE was once ice longa - a longer piece of ice

HANDLE - it made your hand longer

duckling and gosling are probably because the duck looked longer with a string of babies behind them - ducklinga

Show me where those words are and I'll have a go then, I'm positive it's what it means.

My post 129 shows you were to find those "Adelinga".

==

From your quote:

>> a nominal suffix (not originally diminutive), from P.Gmc. *-linga-; attested in historical Germanic languages as a simple suffix

>> suffix indicating "person or thing of a specific kind or origin

>> Thus it is possible that the diminutive use that developed in Middle English is from Old Norse

So now you are suggesting that the modern Dutch word "BANNELING" has no relationship with the older word "BANNELINGA"??

If I reason like that, I could shoot down every etymology you ever came up with.

--

How about those other words I quoted?

-

And how about this :

boreling =. ‘pasgeboren kind’ = a newborn child

http://www.etymologi...fwoord/boreling

Nothing 'lengthy' in being a newborn, I'd say.

No, I'm saying banneling is NOT the word in the OLB.

boreling answer: It BECAME a suffix for the diminutive - it wasn't originally - it became one from the use of linga/longer for babies - duck longer - ducklinga - duckling

Mother_and_baby_ducks-300x225.jpg

...into Old Norse, from Fryan.

Words are created for reasons, usually descriptive - longer duck - ducklonger = duckling

They are simple concepts and the OLB is full of them. I can clearly see how it (Fryan/Frisian) might be a base language for most other words.

Brittanja thaet was thaet lând thêra bannalinga, thêr mith hulpe hjarar burchfâm wêi brith wêron vmbe hira lif to bihâldana. Thach for that hja navt to baek kvma ne skolde, warth er êrost en B to fâra hjara staer priked, tha bana mith râde blod farve aend tha ôra misdêdar mith blâwe farve.

Edited by The Puzzler

No, I'm saying banneling is NOT the word in the OLB.

boreling answer: It BECAME a suffix for the diminutive - it wasn't originally - it became one from the use of linga/longer for babies - duck longer - ducklinga - duckling

Mother_and_baby_ducks-300x225.jpg

...into Old Norse, from Fryan.

Words are created for reasons, usually descriptive - longer duck - ducklonger = duckling

They are simple concepts and the OLB is full of them. I can clearly see how it (Fryan/Frisian) might be a base language for most other words.

Brittanja thaet was thaet lând thêra bannalinga, thêr mith hulpe hjarar burchfâm wêi brith wêron vmbe hira lif to bihâldana. Thach for that hja navt to baek kvma ne skolde, warth er êrost en B to fâra hjara staer priked, tha bana mith râde blod farve aend tha ôra misdêdar mith blâwe farve.

Oh christ, ok it's BANNALINGA.

It's BANNELING in Dutch, and it means exile, someone who has been banned from his/her country.

The -LING in the Dutch BORELING has nothing to do with a diminutive, it simply means 'a newborn kind', 'someone recently born'

And how about those OLB words I quoted??

"Adellinga" for instance??

Oh christ, ok it's BANNALINGA.

It's BANNELING in Dutch, and it means exile, someone who has been banned from his/her country.

The -LING in the Dutch BORELING has nothing to do with a diminutive, it simply means 'a newborn kind', 'someone recently born'

And how about those OLB words I quoted??

"Adellinga" for instance??

I mean the A is in the OLB on bannalinga - you keep saying a meaning for bannaling or banneling but that is not the word, the OLB has THE A ON THE END.

Adela's followers - the ducklings are following the mother - the concept is the same.

I'm tired and have given enough explanations for tonight. You must think they just picked -ling out of the air to add on to words then do you?

Edited by The Puzzler

Since speech comes from the tongue, I could almost see that lingua in Latin is also based in linga - since your tongue is long and it rhymes with tong, and tongs are long also, for picking up things. But for now, I gotta do bed. So long.

I mean the A is in the OLB on bannalinga - you keep saying a meaning for bannaling or banneling but that is not the word, the OLB has THE A ON THE END.

Adela's followers - the ducklings are following the mother - the concept is the same.

I'm tired and have given enough explanations for tonight. You must think they just picked -ling out of the air to add on to words then do you?

OK, I'm good, LONG it is. Extension if you like.

Now show me where BANNALINGA and HELLINGA show up in ANY Old Frisian dictionary.

They are ancient words we still use here (even with the same meanig), so it should be easy.

Now I think I know what you're going to say: these are wordstems with an added --linga suffix and so should not have to show up in any dictionary.

Well, the Old Frisian dictionaries I have downloaded do show us wordstems with added suffixes.

So why not these two?

OK, I'm good, LONG it is. Extension if you like.

Now show me where BANNALINGA and HELLINGA show up in ANY Old Frisian dictionary.

They are ancient words we still use here (even with the same meanig), so it should be easy.

Now I think I know what you're going to say: these are wordstems with an added --linga suffix and so should not have to show up in any dictionary.

Well, the Old Frisian dictionaries I have downloaded do show us wordstems with added suffixes.

So why not these two?

Extension, yes - good.

I am unsure why they do not show in the dictionaries as those words. I think there will be many words in the OLB like that though, that do not show up in the dictionaries - dictionaries are written by people who only know so much about the words I spose - with no written evidence of the Frisian word hellinga etc I guess they can't put it in a dictionary...I'll sleep on it.

Extension, yes - good.

I am unsure why they do not show in the dictionaries as those words. I think there will be many words in the OLB like that though, that do not show up in the dictionaries - dictionaries are written by people who only know so much about the words I spose - with no written evidence of the Frisian word hellinga etc I guess they can't put it in a dictionary...I'll sleep on it.

We all have found every word (and no, not all names, like ,,, sigh... Lumka-makia) in the OLB by using Old Frisian dictionaries.

But those that only show up (online, true) in Middle (medieval) Dutch don't.

"And now for something completely different"...

I will swear on the grave of my father that I saw Otharus use constructions like "XXX-his", or an example (not necessarily Otharus's) , "God-his" meaning "God's", in some of his posts of today. I wanted to quote one of those posts of his, but I assume that he edited it out, or else I should see a physician very soon).

Anyway, that form of genitive, "XXX-his =XXX's" is used often in the OLB, and when Otharus sneaked that construction into a couple of his posts, I smiled. and didn't think more of it. It looked ok, linguistically speaking.

Well, it is probably not

(And I found out about it when I was researching "Adellinga" and "Adel(a)" and because my heart skipped a few beats when I learned that the oldest form of "Adel(a)" is "Athala". Now think "Athala-his", meaning "of noble birth". OK, maybe I will start that thread anyway, and let people fire at me, lol. Think "Atlantis", or, "of Atlas". Nevermind).

OK, read all this please:

Despite the above, the English possessive did originate in a genitive case. In Old English, a common singular genitive ending was -es. The apostrophe in the modern possessive marker is in fact an indicator of the e that is "missing" from the Old English morphology.

The 18th century explanation that the apostrophe might replace a genitive pronoun, as in "the king’s horse" being a shortened form of "the king, his horse", is doubtful. This HIS genitive appeared in English only for a relatively brief time, and was never the most common form. The construction occurs in southern German dialects and has replaced the genitive there, together with the "of" construction that also exists in English. One might expect on the basis of "her" and "their" that plurals and feminine nouns would form possessives using -’r, such as "the queen’r children": "his" or "hys" could be used for nouns of any gender throughout most of the medieval and Renaissance period, but this does not clearly explain the total absence of such forms.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Genitive_case

A GRAMMAR OF THE OLD FRIESIC LANGUAGE.

BY ADLEY H. CUMMINS. A.M. / 1887

(2.) The genitive in -is prevails in the Rustringer Recht, that

is -es in the other documents ; the dative in -i is peculiar to the

Rustringer, that in -e to the Brokmer, and that in -a to the

Emsiger and Hunsingoer.

-

154. Nouns of time, in answer to the question "how long?"

are put in the accusative: thet tilath ma thriujer, that shall

be tilled for three years ; jer and di, for a year and a day. In

answer to the question " when ?" and where we in English

say per (per annum, per month, per day, &c.), the noun is put

in the genitive : thes selva dis, the same day ; liachtes deis, in

broad daylight ; thiu moder thiu mey nima fon hire unjerige

bern thes jeres fif scillingar, the mother may take for her minor

child five shillings per year.

-

160. Nouns expressing the material or quantity of a substance,

age, &c., are put in the genitive : as, merk seloueris, a

mark of silver ; en shilling goldes, a shilling of gold.

===

In the Early Modern English of 1580 to 1620 it was sometimes spelled as "his" as a folk etymology, e.g. "St. James his park"; see his genitive.

http://en.wikipedia..../Saxon_genitive

http://en.wikipedia....ki/His_genitive

http://nl.wikipedia....dfries#Vormleer\

/

Edited by Abramelin

I do understand people will tend to skip posts/threads like these, but despite the fact that it will give people a headache looking into some old (??) language and a topic they never heard of, this IS about ancient European history.

If all of the OLB proves to be true, global history will have to be rewritten.

Personally, I don't think anyone will have to worry about that.

By god his will, it shall.

If the OLB has been finally proven to be a real account of ancient European history, history will must certainly be rewritten.

But I have serious doubts about that ever happening.

And not because there is some 'conspiracy' to hide true historical facts.

By god his will, it shall.

"God-his" is an OLB fabrication.

It's either "Godis" or "God's".

We all have found every word (and no, not all names, like ,,, sigh... Lumka-makia) in the OLB by using Old Frisian dictionaries.

But those that only show up (online, true) in Middle (medieval) Dutch don't.

I'm not sure when the first Frisian dictionary came out but maybe the language from the OLB is older than the first dictionary edition, therefore does not include older words, from the apparent timeframe used in the OLB. Maybe not all older compound words are recorded, especially ones that are obselete in the original language.

This book looks interesting: http://books.google....AAJ&redir_esc=y

Edited by The Puzzler

I'm not sure when the first Frisian dictionary came out but maybe the language from the OLB is older than the first dictionary edition, therefore does not include older words, from the apparent timeframe used in the OLB. Maybe not all older compound words are recorded.

From what I learned, the language from the OLB is most certainly not older than the first dictionary.

Read my post (#142) about the genitive "HIS".

Edited by Abramelin

I do understand people will tend to skip posts/threads like these, but despite the fact that it will give people a headache looking into some old (??) language and a topic they never heard of, this IS about ancient European history.

If all of the OLB proves to be true, global history will have to be rewritten.

Personally, I don't think anyone will have to worry about that.

Personally, I think it might fill in the blanks.

Personally, I think it might fill in the blanks.

And if there are any blanks left, I will publish a new 'ancient' manuscript.to fill them in.

Maybe I will use a rare Klingon dialect.