Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Oera Linda Book and the Great Flood [Part 2]

Abramelin

He is the source, not a book from 2009.

He defined the word OD. based on HIS etymology of the names Woden, Odan, Odin and so on.

If he had read it in the OLB, he would have said so, but no, it was HIS idea, based on HIS etymology.

Yes we have posted that one, actually it was one of the first things we came up with: it's from Von Reichenbach.

I thought I said it at the time.

life force is what I know it as anyway and what I'd put and pretty sure I said it.

I replied too fast.

Reichenbach did NOT define "od", he merely used the existing word as inspiration for his new term "odic force".

Here's a fragment of a scientific article "Sleepwalking in Italian Operas: A Window on Popular and Scientific Knowledge on Sleep Disorders in the 19th Century" in "Neurology and Art" (2010) by Michele Augusto Riva et al.

This relationship between sleepwalking and magnetism was also found in other previous literary and historical descriptions. In the first half of the 19th century, baron Karl Ludwig von Reichenbach (1788–1869), member of the Prussian Academy of Sciences, made extensive studies on sleepwalkers, and used some discoveries to formulate his theory of the Odic force, based on mesmeric animal magnetism [17]. Indeed, in the popular opinion, somnambulism always followed the appearance of specific lunar phases, reaching maximum expression at full moon (it was linked to werewolf legends). Like animal magnetism, this ‘lunar attraction’ was a manifestation of a more fundamental natural force. Baron von Reichenbach named this vital principle ‘Odic force’ (from Odin, mythological Nordic god), which pervades and connects all living things. The theories of Armand M.J. de Chastenet, Marquis de Puységur (1751–1825) were very similar. Even this French aristocrat learned about mesmerism, studied ‘artificial sleepwalking’ for many years (at present known as ‘hypnosis’) and noted the similarity between this sleeping trance and somnambulism [18]. He based both phenomena on the vital principle, similar to the modern idea of subconscience, which would be developed through researches on hypnotism by J.M. Charcot and his fellow, S. Freud. These metaphysical theories persisted in some Gothic novels in the Northern European literature (e.g. ‘artificial sleepwalking’ in Dracula by Bram Stoker, 1897) [19].

Edited by Otharus

The main thing is that - apart from the authenticity issue - we now officially have a much better translation than the existing "hate" (based on Latin odium) by Ottema and Sandbach.

Edited by Otharus

I thought I said it at the time.

life force is what I know it as anyway and what I'd put and pretty sure I said it.

You can click the link to the post in my answer to Otharus, and turn back the pages to see who came up with it first.

But the point here is: we knew about it at least a year ago, and it was a well known concept in the 19th century, and before the OLB was even published.

And whoever had earlier and similar ideas, it was Reichenbach who coined the term OD.

The main thing is that - apart from the question if OLB is authentic or not - we now officially have a much better translation than the existing "hate" (based on Latin odium) by Ottema and Sandbach.

Well, we agree on that one; Ottema's translation was odd indeed, lol.

Edited by Abramelin

You can click the link to the post in my answer to Otharus, and turn back the pages to see who came up with it first.

But the point here is: we knew about it at least a year ago, and it was a well known concept in the 19th century, and before the OLB was even published.

And whoever had earlier and similar ideas, it was Reichenbach who coined the term OD.

OK, I'm going back to bed. Hang on. Odins name came from a word... more like SPIRIT the word OD should be imo - meaning life force - not related to Reichenbach but seperate in meaning, based on true original meaning. Wraldas SPIRIT entered her.

The Old Norse noun óðr may be the origin of the theonym Óðinn (Anglicized as Odin), and it means "mind", "soul" or "spirit" (so used in stanza 18.1 of the Poetic Edda poem Völuspá). In addition, óðr can also mean "song", "poetry" and "inspiration", and it has connotations of "possession". It is derived from a Proto-Germanic *wōð- or *wōþ- and it is related to Gothic wôds ("raging", "possessed"), Old High German wuot ("fury" "rage, to be insane") and the Anglo-Saxon words wód ("fury", "rabies") and wóð ("song", "cry", "voice", "poetry", "eloquence"). Old Norse derivations include œði "strong excitation, possession".[2]

Ultimately these Germanic words are derived from the Proto-Indo-European word *wāt-, which meant "to blow (on), to fan (flames)", fig. "to inspire". The same root also appears in Latin vātēs ("seer", "singer"), which is considered to be a Celtic loanword, compare to Irish fāith ("poet", but originally "excited", "inspired").[2] The root has also been said to appear in Sanskrit vāt- "to fan".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%93%C3%B0r

Edited by The Puzzler

To summarize:

Reichenbach used the word "od" that already existed in a similar meaning (as he admitted) for his theory about natural forces.

It may have come back in use for a while, because of his publications.

The entry in VD dictionary may (or may not) refer mostly to use in the 19th century, as caused by Reichenbach's work.

It is neither evidence for - nor against authenticity of the OLB.

The main thing we can establish, is that the classic Ottema & Sandbach translations are now officially improved, and we have a professional source to support this new translation.

Edited by Otharus

Finding sources is one thing, reading and understanding them another. LOL

So what did you not understand from the German site with the copy of Von Reichenbach's book?

OK, I'm going back to bed. Hang on. Odins name came from a word... more like SPIRIT the word OD should be imo - meaning life force - not related to Reichenbach but seperate in meaning, based on true original meaning. Wraldas SPIRIT entered her.

The Old Norse noun óðr may be the origin of the theonym Óðinn (Anglicized as Odin), and it means "mind", "soul" or "spirit" (so used in stanza 18.1 of the Poetic Edda poem Völuspá). In addition, óðr can also mean "song", "poetry" and "inspiration", and it has connotations of "possession". It is derived from a Proto-Germanic *wōð- or *wōþ- and it is related to Gothic wôds ("raging", "possessed"), Old High German wuot ("fury" "rage, to be insane") and the Anglo-Saxon words wód ("fury", "rabies") and wóð ("song", "cry", "voice", "poetry", "eloquence"). Old Norse derivations include œði "strong excitation, possession".[2]

Ultimately these Germanic words are derived from the Proto-Indo-European word *wāt-, which meant "to blow (on), to fan (flames)", fig. "to inspire". The same root also appears in Latin vātēs ("seer", "singer"), which is considered to be a Celtic loanword, compare to Irish fāith ("poet", but originally "excited", "inspired").[2] The root has also been said to appear in Sanskrit vāt- "to fan".

http://en.wikipedia.....org/wiki/Ã"ðr

The first thing Wralda did is 'spice' them with his 'breath', or ADEM in Dutch, then he gave them 'life-force' or OD, or better OD entered them.

Edited by Abramelin

So what did you not understand from the German site with the copy of Von Reichenbach's book?

Why do you assume there is something that I did not understand?

Why do you assume there is something that I did not understand?

Because of what you said in that post you edited beyond recognition. But I knew what you meant, it's just that I can play too, you know...

You were wrong, but you'd rather die than admit it.

Van Dale is a recent source, and its entry about OD is based on something, and that can only be Von Reichenbach who was the one who coined the term OD.

If you have an earlier source, then I'd like to see it.

If you have an earlier source, then I'd like to see it.

He said so himself:

"... in Wodan, Odan, Odin, wo es die alldurchdringende Kraft bezeichnet"

*Snip*

Edited by Karlis
Request by poster

He said so himself:

"... in Wodan, Odan, Odin, wo es die alldurchdringende Kraft bezeichnet"

*Snip*

What I asked for is a source - a book - that defined OD as life-force.

Only Reichenbach did, based on HIS etymology.

*Snip*

Edited by Karlis
Personal remark

The causative energy was itself a true mystery, requiring a name. Looking into Germanic mythology, he sought some term, which could describe the permeating nature of this strange current. "Odos" in Ancient Greek meant "roadway". "Voda" in Old Norse means, "I go quickly ...! stream forth". "Odylle", "Ode", and "Od", the names, which Reichenbach gave to this singularly fundamental energy, also referred to Wodin, the "all-transcending one". The name was the first of a new technical lexicon, which Reichenbach would build throughout the next few decades, despite final and loud academic protests. Od energy represented a Victorian revelation, an opening of ancient knowledge. Od energy was far more than an ordinary inertial force. Od was an energy, which somehow linked sensation and the world, a personal energy that connected individuals directly with the very core of natural reality.

http://customers.hbci.com/~wenonah/history/odenergy.htm

So, he just sought a suitable word for that form of energy he thought to have discovered.

Had he read about 'prana' he may have chosen that word, and we would have that word, or a distorted, 'Old Frisian-ish' form of it, in the OLB, instead of OD.

Heh, then Wralda would have given the earth mothers some "branie" (which comes from Malaysian, btw), or 'courage', and we would be discussing that word for pages on end.

Od can point to germanic origin (auda): pretty archaic word to be linked with and still visible in words as "klein-ood" and "arm-oede" and "heim-at" (ode, oede, at -> pointing to richness, something good, ...)

Old names (Xth century) carry it also: Odillon, Odette

See below kleinood from Wiki, link with Ooievaar. Still in use in flanders (maybe also Netherlands: when a baby is born, they tell the ooievaar brought it :-):

De etymologie van kleinood is onzeker. Geopperd is, dat de uitgang -ood dezelfde herkomst zou kunnen hebben als -oede in armoede en at in Heimat, maar het Nederlands etymologisch woordenboek acht een verband met het Middeleeuws Latijnse clenodium waarschijnlijker. De uitgang van clenodium zou teruggaan op het Germaanse auda, wat in latere afleidingen opduikt met betekenissen als bezit, gelukzaligheid en rijkdom. Via auda en audr legt het woordenboek verbanden met woorden als ooievaar (een geluksbrenger) en olijk

The first thing Wralda did is 'spice' them with his 'breath', or ADEM in Dutch, then he gave them 'life-force' or OD, or better OD entered them.

Sorry, still half asleep. My error beofre but I think both you and Otharus are wrong and that OD=hatred.

He gave them adama=breath then the OD refers to hatred, not life force.

Thâ hja blât kêmon spisde Wr.alda hjam mith sina âdama; til thju tha maenneska an him skolde bvnden wêsa. Ring as hja rip wêron krêjon hja früchda aend nochta anda drâma Wr.aldas. Od trâd to-ra binna:

Actually I think OD as, maybe not quite hatred, but what odr is - that is fury or rage found it's way among them.

Why is this so hard to think this is correct. It's obviously what's happening. Frya, Finda and Lyda do not like each other - so why is this being questioned anyway - seems obvious OD is rage or hatred.

Lyda, Frya and Finda seem to have rage towards each other.

So, imo, hatred is not really wrong, even though I would put 'fury' or 'rage'.

Hatred found its way among them = fury found it's way among them.

Hardly some sweet spirit or life force. Quite simply they hate each other.

Treacherous Finda! One wrong word would irritate her, and the cruellest deeds did not affect her. If she saw a lizard swallow a spider, she shuddered; but if she saw her children kill a Frisian, her bosom swelled with pleasure.

Edited by The Puzzler

Oh yeah, sorry, still half asleep.

Actually I think OD as, maybe not quite hatred, but what odr is - that is fury or rage found it's way among them.

Why is this so hard to think this is correct. It's obviously what's happening. Frya, Finda and Lyda do not like each other - so why is this being questioned anyway - seems obvious OD is rage or hatred.

Lyda, Frya and Finda seem to have rage towards each other.

So, imo, hatred is not really wrong, even though I would put 'rage'.

I don't see any 'rage' in that mythological part of the OLB story.

The mutual hostilities between their 'children started later.

I don't see any 'rage' in that mythological part of the OLB story.

The mutual hostilities between their 'children started later.

See my edit, which you might have missed, it goes on next to describe them, Finda loves it when Frisians (Fryans) get killed.

They hate each other, seems fairly logical and obvious really.

OK, I read it now.

So what you are essentially saying is that Wralda was the cause of the animosity between the Fryans, Findas, and Lydans, he caused their children to hate each other.

That's an interesting twist, lol.

I have always automatically assumed that Ottema was wrong with his translation.

But if you are right, it will open a can of wurms....

Edited by Abramelin

OK, I read it now.

So what you are essentially saying is that Wralda was the cause of the animosity between the Fryans, Findas, and Lydans, he caused their children to hate each other.

That's an interesting twist, lol.

No, it doesn't say that.

He created them, breathed his spirit in them, and then hatred found it's way among them. Seperate sentence. Like kids, I have 3, jealousy is rife in kids, naturally, it can lend itself to hatred if not kept in check - ie; Cain and Abel.

When the last came into existence, Wr-alda breathed his spirit upon her in order that men might be bound to him. As soon as they were full grown they took pleasure and delight in the visions of Wr-alda.

Hatred found its way among them.

Od trâd to-ra binna: aend nw bârdon ek twilif svna aend twilif togathera ek joltid twên. Thêrof send alle maenneska kêmen.

Od trad tot'r binnen, en nu baarden elk twaalf zonen and twaalf dochters, elke joltijd een tweeling. Daaraf (Daarvandaan) zijn alle mensen gekomen.

Od entered them, and now they gave birth to 12 sons and 12 daughters, each yuletife a twin. From there all humans came.

If OD means 'hatred', It doesn't make sense to what follows directly.

Edited by Abramelin

It looks like this OD makes them fertile, and makes them able to give birth.