Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man dies of delayed drowning,

Still Waters

A 60-year-old man fell into New York’s Long Island Sound, pulled himself out — and then died several hours later, apparently of drowning. Emergency doctors today called it a case of secondary drowning, something very unusual.

http://abcnews.go.co...elf-from-water/

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• Still Waters

• sarah snow

• CRIPTIC CHAMELEON

It's so sad to read this. When I was a newly-qualified lifeguard in the 1980s, we were made fully aware of this. People can seem fine, but they need to be looked after and very carefully monitored. Horrible thing to happen, for everyone involved :-(

That's awful. It's like sudden pneumonia.

That poor bloke just when he thought he made it.RIP Tommy

Poor guy, I never heard of secondary drowning before.

Since I swim a lot and am also a bit of a hypochondriac I find this pretty scary. I hadn't even heard of it until two years ago. I read that it's possible for this to happen after inhaling a small amount of water.

One time I accidently inhaled and swallowed a little water and several hours later I began feeling really tired, congested and started vomiting clear liquid. I fell asleep and fortunately was fine the next day. I really probably should've went to get checked out though to be safe.

Edited by RavenEyes19

Since I swim a lot and am also a bit of a hypochondriac I find this pretty scary. I hadn't even heard of it until two years ago. I read that it's possible for this to happen after inhaling a small amount of water.

One time I accidently inhaled and swallowed a little water and several hours later I began feeling really tired, congested and started vomiting clear liquid. I fell asleep and fortunately was fine the next day. I really probably should've went to get checked out though to be safe.

That is scary. I'm glad I read this article.