Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Only for Addicted to Paranormal TV Shows

-vv-

Are you addicted to paranormal TV shows? I can’t help it. I go from one to another looking for that something that I never really find. I don’t consider myself a believer, neither a skeptic and that’s the problem. I belong, like many others; to that group in the middle looking for that elusive evidence to validate or not our suspicious about the existence of paranormal phenomena. The term 'Paranormal' is defined as a phenomenon or an experience that is beyond or unexplained by conventional theories of science.

Paranormal television shows like Ghost Hunters and Ghost Adventures are becoming incredibly popular. We watch them, then, to give proof and validation to some of our experiences or fears. If anyone is looking for more scientific proof, rather than anecdotal evidence, these shows promote to provide that.

The paranormal/supernatural-investigation subgenre has cropped up on cable television over the last few years, which includes “Ghost Hunters,” “Destination Truth,” “Ghost Adventures,” “Ghost Hunters International”, “Fact or Faked” and a few others. Each one promises to take a skeptical approach in its investigations and to rely on science to confirm or disprove paranormal claims. So far not one has been able to consistently keep that promise, but we still watching them hoping that in one episode that promise will fulfilled.

Sourced from: http://skepticsvsbel...anormal-tv.html

Are you an addicted to paranormal TV shows?

References

·

TV Skeptic: 'Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files' looks at the real 'Battle of L.A.' -- Ed Stockly

Published: December 10, 2009 in New York Times

The Low-Budget Horror Film May Become One of Year's Most Profitable

Skeptics & Believers- Only for Addicted to Paranormal TV Shows

Edited by Karlis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• -vv-

• sickpuppy

• Keel M.

• alexbrown044

skeptic - a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.

A skeptic merely doesn't accept everything that a believer puts forth as evidence, but still wants to find that ellusive piece of evidence you mention. I think a non-believer or a cynic just believes it's all a bunch of hogwash. But of course I'm probably wrong and someone will be along to tell me this.

skeptic - a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.

A skeptic merely doesn't accept everything that a believer puts forth as evidence, but still wants to find that ellusive piece of evidence you mention. I think a non-believer or a cynic just believes it's all a bunch of hogwash. But of course I'm probably wrong and someone will be along to tell me this.

some time ago I went through a long argue about all different type of skeptic and believers, from non-believer to non-skeptic, or even skeptic believer.... what I can say is that I am someone dancing in the middle of both extremes

• 4 weeks later...

I am addicted to watch tv shows, i watch every tv show and paranormal tv shows is on of the best tv shows of mine and i like to watch.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Stream The Simpsons Online

• 4 weeks later...

TV = Entertainment.

at best you will be "Edu-tained"

anything you see on the TV doesn't compare to your own actual experience.

in the end, you'll only end up at something like an internet forum asking others about the same opinions you all got from watching the same tv show?

(and suprise suprise, here we all are)

the human is a reciever / transmitter..

..you can learn more from your own investigations than watching ANY tv show. period.

[maybe] start looking in the metaphysics & psychic phenomena thread instead of watching relying on those TV shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Love em. Not all of them though. Dramatized Personal Accounts, (School Spirits?/Paranormal Witness) bore me to tears. I want to be offered 'evidence' (EVP Vid/pic) and allowed to make up my own mind.

Edited by AZDZ

There have been some good shows out there and quite a few shows start off promising, only to be turned into entertainment. But honestly, I have always been very dissappointed in most of the Paranormal/Cryptozoological/Unexplained television shows' inability to look professional. Most of the shows out now are all entertainment with very little actual investigation/science. They are a whole lot of running around in the dark, overreacting to every little movement and sound they encounter. I understand that is what sells ads and people keep watching them for that entertainment, but with Ghost Hunters finding ghosts/a Paranormal presence everywhere they go and the hacks on Finding Bigfoot spewing "known facts" about the daily habits of Sasquatch(how the hell do you know,for a fact, that Bigfoot swims underneath ducks to catch them), it just makes the whole field of paranormal research look like a big joke(which, in those cases, it is). I'd really like to see a show where they do a proper investigation. While not an ivestigation series per se, the BBC's Planet Earth, is a good example of the type of things you can capture if you spend extended periods of time in a given location. You can't just go out on a weekend, rustling around and expect to capture the golden footage/evidence. To find proper evidence of unexplained/paranormal phenomena, it will most likely take a well-funded extended investigation. Serioulsy if these shows(GH, Finding Bigfoot, DT, UFO Hunters, etc) have encoutnered ANYTHING that could be linked to their respective target phenomena, wouldn't it be smarter to continue investigating that location instead of saying, 'good enough' and moving on to the next place. Spend the time and money you would have used on the new location on the location that is already giving you something....am I insane for thinking that?

/rant

Edited by Onemilelost