Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Exhibition of invisible art

Still Waters

London's Hayward Gallery will gather together 50 ''invisible'' works by leading figures such as Andy Warhol, Yves Klein and Yoko Ono for its display of works you cannot actually see.

It is thought to be the first such exhibition staged at a major institution in the UK.

Gallery bosses say the £8 a head exhibition demonstrates how art is about ''firing the imagination'', rather than simply viewing objects.

http://www.telegraph...isible-art.html

I'm selling invisible money, you get £10.00 for every £5.00 of real money you send me!!!

• Like 2

I'm selling invisible money, you get £10.00 for every £5.00 of real money you send me!!!

Excuse me, but just hold on here, sir! What'ya take us for, mindless twits? There's no such thing as invisible money. Everybody knows that including the lowest life form upon the Earth.

Now...on the other hand, if you got invisible gold and your willing to sell that for £5.00 of real money, then we just might be able to do business.

But it's gotta feel and look like invisible gold or no deal. That's my offer.

"This exhibition highlights that art isn't about material objects, it's about setting our imaginations alight, and that's what the artists in this show do in many varied ways."

So maybe if you are lacking in imagination you might not see the value in it.

Yep. I see a lot of value in looking at a blank piece of paper and using my imagination to 'see' art. :unsure2:

"This exhibition highlights that art isn't about material objects, it's about setting our imaginations alight, and that's what the artists in this show do in many varied ways."

So maybe if you are lacking in imagination you might not see the value in it.

Yeah but I could do that at home, using my own imagination and without going somewhere and paying a pretty penny for it. I don't need them telling me how to visualize art that I can't see, hell...anybody could that and probably come up with something better. The main reason artists put their work on a canvas, in stone, in wood, is to get the exact thoughts of their imagination for all to see. There is a reason why people say: A picture is worth a thousand words. Describing it is one thing, which is just lame, seeing it in a material form is another.

Yeah but I could do that at home, using my own imagination and without going somewhere and paying a pretty penny for it. I don't need them telling me how to visualize art that I can't see, hell...anybody could that and probably come up with something better. The main reason artists put their work on a canvas, in stone, in wood, is to get the exact thoughts of their imagination for all to see. There is a reason why people say: A picture is worth a thousand words. Describing it is one thing, which is just lame, seeing it in a material form is another.

Yes but THIS exhibition is to set other peoples imaginations alight. That seems to be its point. Maybe sometimes people need a trigger to help do that. So to just simply say "I dont see anything" is not really understanding what this exhibition seems to be about.

It could almost be looked upon as similar to a ghost tour. People might go on a ghost tour of just a building but its your imagination and the telling from the tour guide that gives the full experience.

Edited by Kazahel

• Like 1

That was my invisible post, try to imagine what I would say.

• Like 3

That was my invisible post, try to imagine what I would say.

Brilliant! :clap:

Well done Princess. Straight to the point. Wish I had thought of that lol :)

London's Hayward Gallery will gather together 50 ''invisible'' works by leading figures such as Andy Warhol, Yves Klein and Yoko Ono for its display of works you cannot actually see.

This 'exhibition' is about neither art nor imagination - it is about ego.

• Like 1

This 'exhibition' is about neither art nor imagination - it is about ego.

And who's to say whether what you're 'seeing' is right or not lol.

• Like 1

I dont think there is meant to be a right or wrong. I think its about making you the artist for a change, instead of just a person going along to see someone elses art. I think its an interesting idea.

It's like the Emperor's new clothes...

• Like 1

It is an interesting phylosophical idea indeed. Maybe have one exibit and the question posed. But really as stated by Leonardo, it is about ego. And perhaps idol worship. Should I feel grateful or enlighted to see a spot where andy stood? Im an artist as well, and I find it rather silly and even a bit insulting to pay someone else for the privalge to think for myself.

• Like 1

Exactly!

I dont think there is meant to be a right or wrong. I think its about making you the artist for a change, instead of just a person going along to see someone elses art. I think its an interesting idea.

Then why not simply hang several blank canvasses?

Why have 'invisible art' from "famous artists"? Princess Tumbleweed showed that one doesn't have to be "famous" (no disrespect intended, Princess) to be an artist, and the quality of Princess's 'invisible art' was equal to that of these "famous artists".

• Like 1

I will use my 'imagination' and imagine that I buy an invisible plane ticket to the U.K. (bought with invisible gold of course, as I just recently found out on this thread that there is no such thing as invisible money) . I shall imagine myself paying the admission to go see this invisible display of fine art.

Damn invisible TSA just patted me down and touched my no-no place. They are saying that I have an invisible bomb and I am a threat to the invisible plane that I was about to board.

Oh well, there goes that trip.

• Like 1

Instead of posting a reply to this thread, I took what I was going to say, crumpled it up and threw it in a waste basket, so that it would be worth more money as a piece of modern art.

• Like 1

I could paint one just as good as any of those people....in fact...I think I will!! There....it's done and it looks just like theirs!! Think anyone will pay to see it?

• Like 1

The exhibit will be accompanied by repeated performances of John Cage's 4'33".

LOL that is great! I never knew about that piece but wrote one similar when I was a kid in high school. It had multiple time signature changes in it but consisted of no notes on the score, only rests. Whole rests, half rests, 8th rests etc.. I had even instructions for fortissimo and rubato in certain parts. My music teacher gave me an A+ on that extra credit project.

I probably should have submitted that to my math teacher at the time as well because all the rests added up to the time signatures assigned. :D