Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Scientists create lucid dreaming mask

26 posts in this topic

Still Waters
In a twist straight out of the movie Inception, a duo of developers from Brooklyn, New York, have built a sleeping mask designed to allow people to have lucid dreams that they can control.

While it may look like a standard sleeping mask, Remee has been billed as a special REM (Rapid Eye Movement) enhancing device that is supposed to help steer the sleeper into lucid dreaming by making the brain aware that it is dreaming.

The goal of the product is to allow people to have the dreams of their choice, from driving a race car to flying to having lunch with Abraham Lincoln.

http://www.dailymail...ROL-dreams.html

Old Man Waffles

i need one, gimme gimme gimme! :o

White Crane Feather

dont need a mask for that, just a little practice.

• Like 2

WoIverine

Does it actually work? I never have dreams, at least dreams that I can remember. It sucks.

ChewiesArmy

Haven't these been around for like....10 years?

Rolci

And what exactly do you know has been happening with "these" in the past not less than 10 years? How large of a body of research conducted with "these" are you aware of? How many has been sold? Did yo get one 10 years ago? Or ever since? Have you tried one? Do you know anyone that's tried one? What exactly are we supposed to do with the "10 years"?

.saraharas.

Not a bad idea I guess, but with practice and patience it can be done for free.

I don't think the mask would help much to those who have constant trouble remembering their dreams though. Even if it does work, what's the point in shelling out all that $$ just to forget it once you open your eyes?

pallidin

I think it's a curious concept. I'm sure that I am not alone with having a "bad" dream, waking-up, then trying to go back to sleep and into that dream to change it. Never works for me.

Perhaps this type of device could help, but I would like to hear of professional studies conducted for a few years before I would buy one.

pallidin

Oh, I forgot to add that I am not so sure that we should be artificially messing with dreams; given that we do not know what purpose they serve.

That is, dreams may or may not have a specific, necessary function for maintaining healthy daytime mental/emotional states. I don't know, maybe just guessing.

But I am somewhat concerned about manipulating something we know so very little about.

Edited by pallidin

King Fluffs

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothings happening!

• Like 1

Technognome

you know if this thing can run on a software/battery disk. we could have Tek, Wait no , don't tell Shatner He will take the claim. Wait again Tell him, that way we finally blame him for the fall of the global culture.

IronGhost

I have owned and used two dream masks developed by the Lucidity Institute headed up by Stephen LeBerge.

The device is called the NovaDreamer. I bought the first generation model, and then a more advanced model. You can still buy them today.

They work by flashing a red LED lights over your closed eyes while you sleep. They have tiny motion detectors which trigger the lights when you go into REM sleep, making your eyes flutter back and forth. They also emit some small clicks.

Do they work -- yes, they work very well. It's still can be tricky for a lot of people -- but with some practice, they are definitely an aide for those who need some extra help.

Here is an example of one of my dream adventures as triggered by the NovaDreamer: http://ironghost.wordpress.com/?s=novadreamer

Cyaneyed

$95? It's cheaper to train yourself. And pretty simple. Just keep asking yourself during the day: "Am I awake?". Do it enough and you will ask yourself in your dream, realise you are sleeping, and et voila. Another method is waking yourself up about 3 hours before you'd normally sleep, busy yourself for a minute or two, then go back to sleep. It's the time you dream the most.

I find it easy to do, but I quite rarely remember my dreams :(

The Cosmic Fluke

Haven't these been around for like....10 years?

more like 20+

wadoor

I had lucid dreams for about 10 years very successfully, but after a while devolped a servere case of so called sleep paralysis, seeing scary things in my room while lying in bed and not being able to move. had to put a stop to the dreaming. seeing these posts makes me think its time to try again.

ColoradoParanormal

This is pretty cool! Has anyone here ordered them to see if they, indeed, do actually work?? I'm thinking about purchasing a pair to experiment for myself. :tu:

Frazzill

Ummmmmm, you don't need a mask to do lucid dreaming......

puckmomma

I don't need a 95$ mask to dream. How would it be able to control your dream... And if YOU CAN CONTROL it then guess what any one else can too!

It's bad enough we have big brother in our life WE don't need him in our dreams too!

Erudite Celt

It was only a few years ago that I discovered that lucid dreaming was not a normal experience. I have always been able to do it. Being able to levitate and fly over a moon lit landscape is an incredible experience. For reasons I cant comprehend and despite knowing that it is a dream, it is in all respects a reality that actually forms a memory! Anyone have any ideas why?

Edited by Erudite Celt

White Crane Feather

It was only a few years ago that I discovered that lucid dreaming was not a normal experience. I have always been able to do it. Being able to levitate and fly over a moon lit landscape is an incredible experience. For reasons I cant comprehend and despite knowing that it is a dream, it is in all respects a reality that actually forms a memory! Anyone have any ideas why?

There are many explanations the worst one is that it is fluke of nature.

Erudite Celt

There are many explanations the worst one is that it is fluke of nature.

Oh my G*d I'm a Freak!!! :unsure:

RavenwoodSpellbound

That is incredible, I MUST HAVE ONE!

Imagine all the things you could do :)

wadoor

The fun side of lucid deaming is amazing, the flying the exploring the learning the um sex. sometimes i would meet people who would tell me that they were lucid dreaming as well, which was the biggest mind blower. but i was warned about lucid dreams which i didnt listen to. there is a dark side, please tread carefully.

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

You don't need a mask to Lucid dream and also remember your dreams is very possible with practice.

esperwolf

Indeed the mask is unneeded but the fact one was made is not that great either. They pretty much stole the idea from masks used in hypnotherepy. Also such masks have also been used to raise a persons awareness to things around them and thus have been tested in various locations as a attempt to communicate with ghosts.