Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it a pear or an apple?

Still Waters

It has the softer skin and texture of a pear, but anyone who bites into this fruit in for a surprise.

New Zealand fruit experts have unveiled their latest fruit hybrid creation on its way to the UK - an apple-like fruit which looks like a pear.

The rounded fleshy fruit described as a pear disguised as an apple has yet to be given an official name, though some have inevitably dubbed the creation the 'papple'.

http://www.dailymail...s--Spencer.html

More importantly...can it be turned into alcohol...?

• Like 1

It's a bit steep!

Ok, I'm missing something... haven't these been around for a long long time? I'm pretty sure they sell them at my local grocery store and my neighbors have been growing them for years in their backyard. We always just called them pear-apples. That being said--they are really tasty.

Ok, I'm missing something... haven't these been around for a long long time? I'm pretty sure they sell them at my local grocery store and my neighbors have been growing them for years in their backyard. We always just called them pear-apples. That being said--they are really tasty.

We don't have them in the UK......until next week.

• Like 1

You'll enjoy them, they pretty much taste just like they sound... like and apple crossed with a pear. The state where I live (Washington) is known for its apples, pears, apricots, nectarines and pear orchards. They've been crossing pears with apple for pretty much 20 years here. I believe they first came here from Japan though. They're a very crisp, clean, balanced pear/apple flavor and texture.

There is an actual variety of pear that is round like an apple and crisp like an apple, but it's an all yellow color and has no "apple" in it. A pear/apple has pink/red in its rind. :) Try one when you get them, they're very nice!

I like the sound of them but I will wait until they are more reasonably priced, I think.

You'll enjoy them, they pretty much taste just like they sound... like and apple crossed with a pear. The state where I live (Washington) is known for its apples, pears, apricots, nectarines and pear orchards. They've been crossing pears with apple for pretty much 20 years here. I believe they first came here from Japan though. They're a very crisp, clean, balanced pear/apple flavor and texture.

There is an actual variety of pear that is round like an apple and crisp like an apple, but it's an all yellow color and has no "apple" in it. A pear/apple has pink/red in its rind. :) Try one when you get them, they're very nice!

I will, thank you, they sound delicious :)

I like the sound of them but I will wait until they are more reasonably priced, I think.

Marks' stuff is expensive anyway. Maybe Tesco or Asda will stock them :D

I can imagine them being similar to a Chinese Pear if you can get them..my local farm shop had them where i lived last...very tasty actually.

Marks' stuff is expensive anyway. Maybe Tesco or Asda will stock them :D

Marks will pack it in about 10 layers of cardboard, cellophane and ribbons too!

I think you might be thinking of these: 800px-Pyrus_pyrifolia.jpghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrus_pyrifolia

It looks like an apple but tastes like a pear. But it's not a hybrid of an apple and pear.

If these already existed I don't know why they bothered making a hybrid of a pear and an apple. Seems like a lot of effort to make something that already exists.

• Like 1

More importantly...can it be turned into alcohol...?

lol! Really?! A scientifically modified fruit that sound delicious and you can only think of it as Alchy? Oh no no no :no: j/k! hahah I thought the same thing too! :tu:

Man I had no ideal such a thing even exsited, until now. (Yeah I know...where have I been?) But I'm going to be on the hunt for these things from now on, gotta try one.

Man I had no ideal such a thing even exsited, until now. (Yeah I know...where have I been?) But I'm going to be on the hunt for these things from now on, gotta try one.

Agreed!

I think you might be thinking of these: 800px-Pyrus_pyrifolia.jpghttp://en.wikipedia....Pyrus_pyrifolia

It looks like an apple but tastes like a pear. But it's not a hybrid of an apple and pear.

If these already existed I don't know why they bothered making a hybrid of a pear and an apple. Seems like a lot of effort to make something that already exists.

No no, that's a Chinese pear.. I know what those are. They come with the funny white styrofoam hats on them in the stores haha. The pear/apple hybrids are pinkish, not yellow.

No no, that's a Chinese pear.. I know what those are. They come with the funny white styrofoam hats on them in the stores haha. The pear/apple hybrids are pinkish, not yellow.

Down Under we call them Nashi Pears :D

Do the ones you have seen look like the picture in the article? eg.

article-2147995-1323E885000005DC-113_468x243.jpgarticle-2147995-1323E91B000005DC-620_468x351.jpg

Maybe you guys can sue the Kiwis!

Edited by psyche101

I don't think I've ever seen them as red as they are in the second picture, but certainly like the ones in the first picture!

Can we get these stateside??? If not, can I have them imported?

It looks like I'll be buying some of these...