Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mexican mother gouged out 5-year-old's eyes

RockabyeBillie

MEXICO CITY - A five-year-old Mexican boy whose eyes were allegedly gouged out by his mother as part of a drug-fueled ritual "to save the world" is expected to live, but has been left completely blind, health authorities said Friday.

The boy, identified by authorities only as Fernando, was taken to a hospital in Mexico City after police discovered the mother clutching her eyeless son at a home in the working-class suburb of Nezahualcoyotl early Thursday.

The Mexico City Health Department said the boy lost both eyes and was suffering some leakage of cerebral fluid. He was in intensive care and was listed in guarded condition, but doctors said in a statement that such leakage normally stops by itself and that no brain surgery is planned at the moment.

The chief prosecutor for Mexico state, where Nezahualcoyotl is located, said the boy's mother had apparently urged others to help her mutilate her son in order "to prevent an earthquake and save the world."

WTF? Who does this? I just don't understand how people think!

This is what religion does to people. It robs them of any vestige of the ability to actually think.

Now this poor boy will be blind forever all because dear old mum and her superstitious friends believed that mutilating a helpless child is going to "save" them.

I feel like puking now.

WTF? Who does this? I just don't understand how people think!

That's just the problem, most don't think and this is why horrific stuff like this happens.

I hope she spends a great deal of time in jail.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 1

Horrifying doesn't even begin to cover it, I have no words just impotent anger at this completely stupid woman. For the record this is about drugs and delusions of grandeur aka: thinking that saving the world or stopping an earthquake is something one has the personal capacity to manage - that the saviour and hero is oneself.

it's not about "religion" per se - not in the generalised sense of holding all religions accountable for this kind of act, that is going way too far.

Of course, beliefs in rituals are certainly religious and there are those fringe preachers/wizards et al that use belief to brainwash the sense out of people - that is true and a travesty to those who fall under their misbegotten power over the thoughts and beliefs of others - but these are the minority, if it was common it would not be headline news it would a part of everyday life.

In the final analysis con artists and self agrandising psychopaths practice their skill in every walk of life, religion is hardly going to be the exception but that does not make all religious teachings the result of these influences just another victim of them.

• Like 1

Eye for an eye, Will not be surprised if they rip the mothers eyes out in jail, she will be wishing for death. It's a horrific event that was drug induced. I'm sure the mother has mental issues along with drug addiction. My heart is in pain for that poor baby who is now blind from this demented situation.

I just have no words to say in response to this. Bless that child. I do hope he isn't returned to anyone near the mother who did this to him.

• Like 1

I dont think you can blame religion or anyone else than the mother herself for doing this. I think there's something seriously wrong with you in the first place if you can't think and feel on your own this much and set your own limits.

This sounds like the mother numbed herself with whatever she could get her hands on and didn't see through the pain to sense and think for herself. Numbing is about escaping from the parts of reality you don't wanna face.

• Like 1

The topic title says it all. The woman is obviously insane.

I dont think you can blame religion or anyone else than the mother herself for doing this.

Actually there are others to be blamed, the ones she talked into doing this in the first place.

If the other adults had any brains then they would have done something but they were just as brainwashed as the mother.

She does not deserve to have her boy back.

mental illness is a terrible infliction. it eats you up inside. i feel for the boy, bless him an i hope he never returns.. but i feel for the mother too. i hope she gets the help she needs.

So sad, but I'm glad he was discovered before anything worse happened.

Sometimes religion is a scapegoat for psychos after they get caught.

Ed Norton played a character like this in a movie where he was on trial for killing a priest(can't remember name).

If she was driven mad by religion/sky daddy she's still highly rare for any religion. Usually something else snaps in these people's live's before the "redruM! jee-zuz sayin you a devil" kicks in.

" Maria del Carmen Rios, 28, reportedly told the boy to close his eyes and when he refused, she decided to gouge them out "to clean them."

It's crazy how that can even go through someones mind, Whether drugs or mental illness are involved or not.