Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Music a bilogical need

Bella-Angelique

Music is a biological need of the human species. It is needed for proper memory function and coordination.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/26/health/mental-health/music-brain-science/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Past this these are my own theories and opinions on this.

I have known for a very long time that ancient peoples used music to have spiritual revelations. Many of those instances involved telepathy. I think that some of peoples of some cultures who took drugs to get those experiences were taking an artificial route to the natural route which is music. Their music was inadequate for them.

If you ever day dreamed while listening to music then you have experienced a trance state. Images go through your mind while listening and I suspect myself that you are also broadcasting those images.

Collectives are formed through music. The kind of music a person enjoys makes them a member of that collective. They have greater understanding of the other members than they do of those outside of their collective, even members that they have never met. It does not matter what language the lyrics are in, the recognition comes in the type of music itself.

Both individuals and entire nations can be changed through the type of music they allow to dominate their lives. It can be either a good change, or bad, one that is evolving and progressing or one that is stagnant and regressing. Before visual images of screens could be projected, music was the most powerful propaganda tool of manipulation over large populations that existed. Music can heal and it can also destroy.

People have been taught for a very long time that they are what they eat. In the future it will be very common knowledge that people and nations are what music they listen to. Diets of music intake will be planned for individual health and music for the masses will be regulated as a public health and crime prevention matter. It will also continue to be used to subjugate and oppress people as well as to liberate them or call them to war.

As our music evolves we also evolve and change in ways science is just now starting to understand. Let us hope we make good choices as a growing planetary collective in what we choose to listen to.

• Like 2

I'll jam to that!! *grabs guitar*

Interesting.

However I am not sure music is a biological need. A biological need are things like food, water, shelter, sleep...where as music might fill a psychological "need".

But the article itself was interesting. Thanks

Interesting.

However I am not sure music is a biological need. A biological need are things like food, water, shelter, sleep...where as music might fill a psychological "need".

Perhaps phrased as the human species is hard wired biologically to crave music the same as it is hard wired to crave sex in order to procreate would have been much better. I should probably have put that in the description space as well as checking my topic spelling, lol. Glad you enjoyed reading the article.

Very interesting; a lot going on in that article.

The way that music releases the same "reward" chemicals as positive survival actions do is interesting, because, as said:

...music doesn't have a direct biological survival value. "It's not obvious that it should engage that same system," Zatorre said.

Musicians can't see inside their own brains, but they're aware of moments of tension and release in pieces, and that's what arrangers of music do.

It brings back one of the many questions of human consciousness; why do we get the same chemical releases as if we had done important survival actions (mating, eating, winning a competition, succeeding at something important in life), when we do something like listen to a great song or see a beautiful painting. Where is the survival factor in art? Is there one? Has a way that art/music fits into our "evolution" not been fully understood, or not been fully implemented yet? Such an interesting and exciting idea that maybe someday things like music would become necessary for survival as a species/world.

edit: I just read the OP's personal thoughts and see how the "spiritual" aspect could be an example of a "need" for things such as music in life. If you want to shy away from the word spiritual, as many do, music/art can be thought of as an effective a way for a person or people to take what they think/feel inside (their deepest thoughts/feelings) and bring it to the surface. A different way of communication of sorts.

Edited by _Only

Music is a biological need of the human species. It is needed for proper memory function and coordination.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_c2

Past this these are my own theories and opinions on this.

I have known for a very long time that ancient peoples used music to have spiritual revelations. Many of those instances involved telepathy. I think that some of peoples of some cultures who took drugs to get those experiences were taking an artificial route to the natural route which is music. Their music was inadequate for them.

If you ever day dreamed while listening to music then you have experienced a trance state. Images go through your mind while listening and I suspect myself that you are also broadcasting those images.

Collectives are formed through music. The kind of music a person enjoys makes them a member of that collective. They have greater understanding of the other members than they do of those outside of their collective, even members that they have never met. It does not matter what language the lyrics are in, the recognition comes in the type of music itself.

Both individuals and entire nations can be changed through the type of music they allow to dominate their lives. It can be either a good change, or bad, one that is evolving and progressing or one that is stagnant and regressing. Before visual images of screens could be projected, music was the most powerful propaganda tool of manipulation over large populations that existed. Music can heal and it can also destroy.

People have been taught for a very long time that they are what they eat. In the future it will be very common knowledge that people and nations are what music they listen to. Diets of music intake will be planned for individual health and music for the masses will be regulated as a public health and crime prevention matter. It will also continue to be used to subjugate and oppress people as well as to liberate them or call them to war.

As our music evolves we also evolve and change in ways science is just now starting to understand. Let us hope we make good choices as a growing planetary collective in what we choose to listen to.

The music of the sphere. The tone of the earth. The pulsing tone of love.

• Like 1

The music of the sphere. The tone of the earth. The pulsing tone of love.

Or hate and chaos as sewn into some music.

Perhaps our dominate music planet wide is what more advanced civilizations in the galaxy can hear from us if music does connect consciousness in an easy manner as shown in the article. Good thing love songs are so far still the most popular if that is the case.

• Like 1

Or hate and chaos as sewn into some music.

Perhaps our dominate music planet wide is what more advanced civilizations in the galaxy can hear from us if music does connect consciousness in an easy manner as shown in the article. Good thing love songs are so far still the most popular if that is the case.

Hate and chaos are discordant. It is harmony that produce the love. And I am all for love!

Edited by greggK

Interesting.

But the article itself was interesting. Thanks

Don't be too sure Ryu, some of this modern so-called 'music' certainly removes the need for chemical laxatives where I'm concerned!

I am not a big listener to music, but when I do I will often powerful inner experience. Thanks for posting, a good thread.

peace

Mark

It's amazing; I have seen little babies not walking and still in diapers have rhythm when a song would come on. Our connection with music appears to be innate, but I've always wondered what the evolutionary explanation would be for that, why we would have developed that, and I have no idea. To me, it is the universal language of our soul. You can be in a terrible mood and listen to an uplifting song and it will change you from the inside out. It's really a mystery to me how it does that. I know that I absolutely can't go running without high tempo music, I'm useless without it. It's just always been a curious thing to me, maybe it's something to do with string theory, lol, oops.

This is the creation myth from Tolkien's Silmarillion, the universe was created by the Music of the Ainur, that whole story has obvious religous influence, but I like it better, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4S1-kwXtEI

• Like 1

To me, it is the universal language of our soul.

I can't put into words how much I agree with that.

Edited by _Only

Music is powerful, for sure. It has the power to lift your spirits or soothe your nerves. Even babies are affected, think of the effect of a lullaby.

A friend of mine used to say that a good song is always cheaper and better then a therapist. lol

I think that music can have a postitive/negative effect on all living things though. I used to have a cat growing up who would come from wherever she was in the house to sit on the piano whenever I started to play. I think my dog hates certain music, even if it's not loud she'll leave if some songs come on. :lol:

• Like 1