Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angler baffled by 'Frankenfish' catch

Still Waters

When angler Mark Sawyer went fishing in Cambridgeshire, all he wanted was to catch a carp.

Instead he ended up with a goldfish, a roach, and a bream - but, bizarrely, all in one fish.

The Frankenfish even manages to put cartoon character Blinky the Fish from The Simpsons to shame when it comes to levels of wierdness.

But unlike Springfield's most famous fish, which is the product of Mr Burn's toxic dumping, there is nothing in the water to suggest this mutant is a result of a nuclear mutation.

http://www.dailymail...-fin-bream.html

It is a lovely fish though isn't it?

• Like 1

It is a very nice looking fish. I can see the resemblance to the roach, but not the bream. Seems to me it probably falls into the range of normal for a goldfish. Those things are inbreed to the nth degree and come out with all kinds of weird fins and mouths.

• Like 1

I don't even see how this is a Frankenfish. A frankenfish usually is mutated or somehow "Wrong" to the eye. This fish is actually quite pleasing to look at.

• Like 2

I don't even see how this is a Frankenfish. A frankenfish usually is mutated or somehow "Wrong" to the eye. This fish is actually quite pleasing to look at.

A frankenfish would be a fish that appears to have various body parts taken from different individuals, which is supposedly what we have here. Beauty is not really a factor.

• Like 1

Seems to me that the biologist interviewed figured it out pretty easily.

Interesting how the Satanic brand name is so conveniently placed in the picture and how the fish in the photo itself just looks shopped in

Interesting how the Satanic brand name is so conveniently placed in the picture and how the fish in the photo itself just looks shopped in

Darn! You beat me to it.

I noticed the "Satanic" word on what looks to be a bike plus the way the hand is positioned looks odd as if the fish was altered somehow.

At any rate, IF this fish is real then it simply looks like an escaped koi or something. Nothing mutated about it.

wtf?

....nothing here?

i'm more concerned about the intelligence of the angler?

He said: 'I have shown the picture to a number of marine boffins who say it is definitely the result of mixed parentage.

*LOL* I LOVE this phrase.

Nibs

• Like 1

The tail looks like it's made of fabric. It does not look like good eating..... ick.

Its a good lookin fish to me

Hopefully that fish will breed and produce more beautiful offspring like it cause I must say that is one handsome fish.

• 2 weeks later...

It's simply a fancy goldfish that someone turned loose. Nothing special about it at all.

Have to agree. Nothing special about that fish, and the term Frankenfish certainly does not apply, it's even a quite beautiful fish. Nothing wrong with it.

• 3 weeks later...

The angler's mistake was returning it to the pond. If you don't know what kind of fish it is you just caught, you should not return it to the waters you caught it out of. It could be an invasive species and could eventually displace the native species. Just look at all the problems we have here in the USA with invasive species.

• Like 2

The angler's mistake was returning it to the pond. If you don't know what kind of fish it is you just caught, you should not return it to the waters you caught it out of. It could be an invasive species and could eventually displace the native species. Just look at all the problems we have here in the USA with invasive species.

I agree. I was wondering myself why he returned it to the pond, thereby losing what proof he had of its existence (except for the photo). Also, when they talked about the "head of a roach", I thought they meant the head of a roach as in cockroach. I didn't know there was a roach fish. *doh*

Edited by Gummug

I don't know if this has any truth to it, but one of the people in the comments section posted a possible explanation for the fish's appearance:

Just a goldfish. I did this a few years ago putting a black goldfish into a pond with about 20 12-18 inch koi. It doubled in size in just three weeks and changed to a very similar pale gold colour.

Just thought it was interesting.

It is a type of ornamental fish. Common in asian countries. I agree with some others here that the angler was wrong to release it back into the lake.

Nothing strange about it.

Link to photo of same type of fish :-

http://danzjager.deviantart.com/art/ornamental-fish-55579472

The ''marine boffins'' were not very good boffins if they didnt know this! :unsure2:

I hope he put the poor fish back in the water