Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strong storm at my home

Taun

Oklahoma City is currently under a very strong storm that is producing 70+ MPH straight line winds, hail in excess of 5 inches in diameter and tornadoes...

The sirens have just now gone off so I am going to get into a safer spot...

If you are interested you can follow along her at storm chaser...

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/storm-chasers/live-tracker/live-tracker.html

Hope you are safe and ok. Keep your heard down :unsure2:

Hope you are safe and ok. Keep your heard down :unsure2:

Thanks EG, I came out okay - minor car damage (broken tail light)... Intial reports estimate 10's of millions of dollars of damage...

We had two storms that actually CROSSED each other over the city... One - the most damaging - came up the traditional route, from the Southwest to the Northeast, and the other came out of the Northwest to the Southeast - extremely unusual around here...

They collided directly over the city and then in a weird kind of way they passed through each other and continued on their way... I've never seen anything like that before...

Fortunately there were no reported fatalities - though there were some injuries...

Glad to hear your are ok. Must be pretty frightening to be underneath one, although I would love to witness a storm like that. Also happy to hear no fatalities :)

I have never heard of two storms crossing like that. Is there any footage?

Glad to hear your are ok. Must be pretty frightening to be underneath one, although I would love to witness a storm like that. Also happy to hear no fatalities :)

I have never heard of two storms crossing like that. Is there any footage?

Probably... But I sure as heck wasn't going to go out and film it!!!! :o I'll nose around on Youtube after I get back home from work and see what I can find (my work systems block youtube)..

Here is a video of a part of the storm... The last few seconds will give you an idea of what it sounds like to be bombarded with tennis ball sized hail...

It also has a short screen cap of a local TV station covering the storm and shows a portion of the city map under the storm...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8hbl1QpjXg

Here is a recording of the radar coverage of the event... Two supercells colliding is an EXTREMELY rare event....

• Like 1

Here is a recording of the radar coverage of the event... Two supercells colliding is an EXTREMELY rare event....

[media=]

[/media]

Amazing to see this occuring on radar. Must have been pretty scary to be right underneath it. Thanks for sharing Taun :)

You're welcome EG... I just like sharing the experience of living in paradise with everyone! ;)

It didn't really scare me, but I will admit to being 'highly interested'...

The best part about the storms is watching the local weather casters (reportedly the highest paid in the US) go into what we call 'stormgasms'...

Whenever a cloud begins forming over Wichita Falls, Texas (about 120 miles southwest of us), they start cutting into regular broadcasting and start giving us in depth (i.e. non-stop, frenetic, highly repetitious) forecasting for hour upon hour until finally the storm closes on us (or misses entirely) - forget watching your regular programs...

Not that the reporting isn't important... These same forecasters have saved numerous lives over the years - and they are actually highly accurate in their severe storm predictions (I do wish they were as accurate about regular weather though)...

I just heard on the local news that some insurance companies are leaving the state - due to excessive damage from the recent hail and wind storms...

Apparently one of the larger companies - Farm Bureau - is dropping people in certain parts of the city that were hit the hardest... Though they are honoring their legitimate claims up until now...

Probably... But I sure as heck wasn't going to go out and film it!!!! :o I'll nose around on Youtube after I get back home from work and see what I can find (my work systems block youtube)..

Hey Buddy you deserve a medal for just living there.I've watched and listened to your posts and hope all is ok.I guess some of us have it easy,Sunshine and 70f (21c)temp here in S.West U.K.

Hey Buddy you deserve a medal for just living there.I've watched and listened to your posts and hope all is ok.I guess some of us have it easy,Sunshine and 70f (21c)temp here in S.West U.K.

Thanks Spud... Everything is fine here...

The weather just gives us something to talk about that we can all agree on (other than exactly how annoying Texas is :D )...

You're welcome EG... I just like sharing the experience of living in paradise with everyone! ;)

It didn't really scare me, but I will admit to being 'highly interested'...

The best part about the storms is watching the local weather casters (reportedly the highest paid in the US) go into what we call 'stormgasms'...

Whenever a cloud begins forming over Wichita Falls, Texas (about 120 miles southwest of us), they start cutting into regular broadcasting and start giving us in depth (i.e. non-stop, frenetic, highly repetitious) forecasting for hour upon hour until finally the storm closes on us (or misses entirely) - forget watching your regular programs...

Not that the reporting isn't important... These same forecasters have saved numerous lives over the years - and they are actually highly accurate in their severe storm predictions (I do wish they were as accurate about regular weather though)...

Lol, I wouldn't exactly call it paradise. That's more like where I live. I also love storms and am stupid enough to stand out side, watch and take photographs. Having said that, I tend to take cover if it is a thunderstorm directly overhead as we often get as many as two or three strikes a second. I really look forward to the monsoon season which is just starting now. A little later than usual.

I would love to go storm chasing in the USA but insufficient funds prevents me from doing this just now. Probably just as well.

As you said, they do seem to go over the top with their broadcasting of the storms over there, but as it does saves lives we should not complain. If they didnt broadcast and people died, the complaints would soon come rolling in! :)