Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Inspiring Dog stories

Sakari

I think many have seen how much I love dogs, and how much I think about them.I have seen many people here that agree with my thoughts.I thought maybe make a topic where we can share inspirational stories, personal, or seen on the internet that move us, and inspire us to realise just how low we are compared to these loving animals......

This is old, but it is a start.....

[media=]

[/media]

Edited by Sakari

[media=]

[/media]

Below is the story of Hachiko, there is a movie out called " Hachiko, a dogs tale " that is one of the best movies I have seen...

Edited by Sakari

• Like 1

Man that's hard to watch.

Not sure why people are upset, they are sad, but all are inspiring...

Argghh, had to stop before I started crying :( I ran out to my dog and threw my arms around him.

STOP NOW PLEASE DON'T WATCH SO,SO,SAD.

Edited by Erudite Celt

Man, that is a touching story.

You always make me cry Sakari!!! I love these wonderful touching stories but I can't take all of them at one time, I will be back to watch the rest.

Bless you!!!

Thank you for making people feel something more than their own existence!!!

• Like 1

I am crying right now, damn those stories are sad but beautiful, nope haven't watched that last one yet, with the comments I've seen so far. I think I will have to recover a little first.

What would we be without our loyal four legged pals? They reflect the qualities we admire most and can never have in the same measure they do.

Of course I love all animals and cats the most but dogs are definitely special.

• Like 1

This is why I absolutely love and adore dogs. They're angels on earth.

I miss my dog. :[ She was a ball of energy, light, and love.

• Like 1

Really miss my dog right now... She was a Jack russel and she loved being kissed on the head by the people she cared for. She would actually bow her head and shove the top of her head towards your lips. She would always do it after we where play fighting for reassurance.

Thanks for the awesome videos.

• Like 1

You always make me cry Sakari!!! I love these wonderful touching stories but I can't take all of them at one time, I will be back to watch the rest.

Bless you!!!

Thank you for making people feel something more than their own existence!!!

I am crying right now, damn those stories are sad but beautiful, nope haven't watched that last one yet, with the comments I've seen so far. I think I will have to recover a little first.

What would we be without our loyal four legged pals? They reflect the qualities we admire most and can never have in the same measure they do.

Of course I love all animals and cats the most but dogs are definitely special.

This is why I absolutely love and adore dogs. They're angels on earth.

I miss my dog. :[ She was a ball of energy, light, and love.

Really miss my dog right now... She was a Jack russel and she loved being kissed on the head by the people she cared for. She would actually bow her head and shove the top of her head towards your lips. She would always do it after we where play fighting for reassurance.

Thanks for the awesome videos.

:tu:

Ok, this first one is not about a dog, but a cat...but an amazing one.

Kuzya the Cat/Wondercat

supercat.jpg

It’s hard not to feel bad for the preceding animals when you realize how badly Kuzya (henceforth Kuzya the Destroyer) has trounced them all. Kuzya ran away from his owners, the Efremovs, when they took him with them on vacation from their native Olenyok to Yakitsk in eastern Russia. In Soviet Russia, cat loses you! They searched for the cat for weeks, but eventually were forced to return home without little Kuzya the Destroyer in tow.

It took the Destroyer an entire three months to find his way home to his family. If that sounds like a long time, consider this: Kuzya the Destroyer traveled 1,300 miles across Siberia to finally reach his family, crossing woods, rivers, and lakes. When he finally arrived home, his only problems were a few bite marks on his tail, a bit of weight loss, and the fact that his claws were worn down to nothing, probably from b****-slapping too many predators. Kuzya is a poster-kitten for awesomeness. It would be unfair to discount the amazing efforts of the other pets on this list, but in regards to Kuzya the Destroyer, Keanu Reeves put it best in The Matrix when he simply said, "

.”

Moon the Siberian Husky

tumblr_led65pXLbq1qbqtb0o1_500.jpg

If there’s any breed of dog that would be able find its way home over rugged terrain and great distances, it would be the Siberian husky. The only other dog that would even come close is Muttley from the Hanna-Barbera cartoon Wacky Races, but he gets about in a racecar, making it a contentious issue. In saying that, there are many detractors of Moon's greatness who insists that the only way the dog could have found his way to his home in the town of Ely, Nevada would be to hitchhike. Their speculation stems from the fact that Moon traveled a staggering 77 miles to find her way home to his owner, Doug Dashiell. Dashiell had taken his three dogs on a trip and on the way back, at Railroad Valley, briefly let them out of his truck to stretch their legs and make pee-pee when Moon suddenly bolted. After hours of fruitless (or dogless) searching, Dashiell was sure he would never see Moon again.

Dashiell was wrong. Amazingly, Moon managed to travel the distance back to Ely. The dog crossed desert, the White River, and the Ward Mountain ranges. Dashiell postulates that she probably survived for the week she was missing by feasting on rabbits, although he also mentioned that she absolutely stank of skunk when she finally arrived home.

Sage the German Shepherd

sage.jpg

Sage the German Shepherd didn’t travel very far in comparison. She did, however, do it with a stomach full of shotgun shrapnel, which counts for something. After she went missing on his huge 40-acre property for over a week, her owner, David Lechan, didn’t hold out much hope that Sage would make it home. It was common for Sage to go wandering around on Lechan’s huge property in search of adventure, but she was unfailingly there waiting for him at his doorstep when he arrived home from work. On December 2nd, 2009, she wasn’t.

Sage, ever the punctual dog, did have a good excuse for her non-appearance: she was filled to the brim with shotgun pellets. It’s unclear why she was shot or by whom, but luckily, Sage made the trek home despite her grave injuries. Lechan has said that dogs like Sage go into something called “wolf mode,” a state where their body shuts down and allows them to muster all of their strength and avoid becoming exhausted, even without food. We’re unsure if “wolf mode” has any scientific basis as a canine phenomenon, but it sounds pretty damn awesome. It took seven days for Sage to recoup enough energy to make the journey home, bouncing back from the sort of trauma that would leave most humans crying while they bled out.

Ok, another cat in the dog-pound.

Skittles the Cat

1228271522_3869_full.jpeg

Skittles the cat may not taste like a rainbow (though it’s hard to be sure), but he definitely traveled from one end of it to the other to be reunited with his family. His owners, the Sampsons, lost Skittles while they were vacationing in the Wisconsin Dells for Labor Day, 350 miles from their home in northern Minnesota. While they were packing up to leave, they realized they couldn’t find Skittles anywhere. After some frantic searching, they were forced to give up and return home.

Because of the distance between their home and the area where Skittles was lost, the Sampsons weren't optimistic about being reunited with their feline friend. There was one false alarm when a cat who strongly resembled Skittles appeared at their door, meowing to be let in. After an initial burst of joy, the Sampsons sadly realized that the cat was in fact “M&Ms”, a tabby belonging to the neighbors across street, who bore a striking external resemblance to Skittles despite being a completely different candy cat on the inside. It took the real Skittles 140 days to return home across a distance of 350 miles. When he arrived home, Skittles’ paws were raw and his ribs were actually protruding from his body. His owners declined to rename him “Skeletor” and nursed the cat into a full recovery.

Jarvis the Jack Russel

jarvis.jpg

Jarvis the Jack Russel doesn’t just have a kickass name, he also knows how to use one of the most obscure forms of public transport: the ferry. His owner, Vivienne Oxley of Devon, England, lost Jarvis while she was out strolling the Cornish countryside with her granddaughter, presumably while simultaneously eating scones and cream and reading from a book of Winston Churchill quotes. Jarvis, realizing that he was a bit too awesome for the situation, ran off in the bushes for an adventure while his owner searched for him. After an entire two hours of searching, Vivienne gave up and returned home to Devon to curl up with some Earl Grey and watch reruns of Parkinson.

Jarvis, however, was not really lost. He was just hanging out for a while, partying with the woodland creatures. When he was done showing them how to kick it Terrier style, Jarvis decided it was time to return home, and settled on the ferry as the optimal form of transport back to Devon, being as it was both a scenic route and a prime opportunity to canoodle with any hot b****es who happened to be sharing the journey. Jarvis was caught without a ticket but managed to avoid paying the fine by using the classic ‘I am a dog’ excuse. Oxley was out running errands when she got a call from her husband, who was at home with the recently-returned Jarvis, informing her that she owned one of the pimpest dogs in England.

Max the Airedale Terrier

max.jpeg

Max the Airedale Terrier managed to travel an amazing distance to return to his loving owner, crossing harsh terrain and managing to not get eaten by predators even though his face is shaped like a delicious meatball sub. Two-year-old Max was lost when his owner’s convertible was involved in an accident in Sterling, Connecticut. Bill Clark’s car was struck by another vehicle and in a moment of panic Max ran from the back seat of the car, through the trunk, and off into the woods. After returning home to Coventry, Rhode Island, Clark launched a search campaign for Max that spanned weeks, but to no avail. Every promising lead from a friend or stranger lead to a dead end.

Then, one Tuesday, Clark returned home to find Max sitting in his back yard, having found his way home from 45 miles away, crossing the state line while having to avoid any toll roads entirely due to his lack of change and the pockets in which to keep it. Upon examination from a vet Max was discovered to have no injuries whatsoever, and the only mark of his nearly month-long journey was weight loss. “He lost 11 pounds,” said owner, Bill Clark. “I lost seven.” Calm down, Bill – it’s not a competition.

Dusty Simon the Beagle

dustysimon.jpeg

Dusty Simon sounds like the name of some sort of cross-genre folk-blues-country singer from the 50s, conjuring up images of the lone traveler, bedraggled-yet-wise, making his way through the countryside, his guitar slung over his back and the soles of his boots worn to the leather. Perhaps this is what the real Dusty Simon’s caretakers were thinking of when they named the pooch, who was often seen wandering casually around their subdivision -- a stray despite his pure breeding. Dusty Simon had become a great friend to the residents of the sub division, especially the children, and was a familiar sight and staple member of the community until he suddenly disappeared for several weeks.

The subdivision’s residents searched ceaselessly for Dusty, but failed to find the lost Beagle. After two weeks of searching, the neighborhood’s hopes were beginning to dim. One afternoon, Amanda Ramey, who was particularly close with Dusty, returned home to find the dog lying in her front yard. Unlike some of the luckier animals on this list, poor Dusty was a little worse for wear: his back legs were broken and his pelvis was severely fractured. Vets hypothesized that Dusty had been hit by a car and had dragged himself for several miles using only his front paws and balls of steel. The surgery bill to reinstate Dusty to his former glory was estimated at $2,000, and the community happily banded together to pay for his full recovery. Viva la Dusty!

Smokey the Cat

smokey.jpg

50 Cent ain’t got **** on Smokey the Cat. First of all, Fiddy has only been shot nine times. Smokey was shot 13 times. In succession. In the head. Also, Smokey didn’t go around bragging about it like a blatant attention-seeker, but he did survive. Smokey had gone missing from his home in Maryborough in Victoria, Australia, for over a week. His owners were distraught and did whatever they could to try and find their lost nine-year-old moggie. If they knew the horrors that were being inflicted upon their poor pet they would have been even more panic-stricken.

Some *******s had captured Smokey and shot him in the head 13 times with an air rifle just for the hell of it. After committing this atrocity, they did what any scum-sucking wastes of oxygen would do: they left Smokey for dead and went on their way, hopefully falling into a ditch somewhere and being violated by meth addicts. Despite his severe injuries, Smokey managed to travel all the way to his front doorstep. Whatever amazing part of a cat’s brain allows them to intuitively find their way home was fortunately left undamaged in Smokey, allowing him to make a successful recovery and live on as an example of how a cat can be endlessly more badass than a multi-platinum rapper.

Jack the Whippet-Terrier Cross

jack.jpg

Jack the whippet-terrier cross is an odd-looking fellow, with a tiny head on a sizeable body, kind of like a muscle man with microcephaly. Jack was lost by his owners, David Cooper and his wife Liz, while they strolled through Dearne Valley Park, 15 miles away from their home in Penistone (yes, Penistone). Jack was spooked by other dogs and scurried into the woods. Cooper is quoted as saying: “he had been missing for a day-and-a-half and we'd all but given up.” Frankly, giving up after a day-and-a-half is a fairly ****ty effort, but fortunately for the Coopers, Jack was a good deal more tenacious than his feeble owners.

Jack was struck by a truck five years before his trek, and had since walked with a limp and had trouble being around moving vehicles. In order to make his way home, Jack had to cross four major roads and a four-lane highway – facing his doggie fears head on – as well as miles of dangerous moorland. Jack’s address was not located anywhere on his collar, so there was no chance of his being returned through the kindness of strangers. Giving up after less than two days and not printing an address on the dog’s collar…did we mention that Liz Cooper is a vet? Oh boy.

Prince the Irish Terrier

prince.jpg

The tale of Prince’s incredible voyage isn’t just the oldest story on this list, it’s also the most mysterious. James Brown (no relation to the late Godfather of Soul) was a private in the First North Staffordshire Regiment during the First World War. In 1914, he left his wife back in Staffordshire with their Terrier, Prince, and set off to France to fight on the front at the outbreak of war. On the 27th of September, Brown’s wife telegrammed him to tell him that their beloved Prince had gone missing.

Private Brown wasn’t too worried upon receiving the letter. Prince had already happily joined his master in the trenches, apparently ready to take on the Germans, though it’s tough to say how well an Irish terrier would do when pitted against a German shepherd. Prince’s story is one of the most baffling examples of animal travel to this very day. In order to find his way to Brown, he would have had to cross the English Channel, a formidable body of water -- the crossing of which experienced swimmers consider a great milestone. Prince’s story is shrouded in mystery, mainly because of the lack of reliable reporting when it occurred. If the story is wholly true, it may stand as the most amazing dog journey in history.

Sophie Tucker the Cattle Dog

Sophie Tucker isn’t just another dog with a human name designed to confuse us; she is also another complete badass of the canine world. Sophie found her way home from the middle of the freakin’ ocean. Her owners, Jane and Dave Griffith, were boating off the coast of Queensland, Australia with her during stormy weather in late 2008. After navigating a particularly choppy patch of water and having to swing the boat around to avoid high seas, the Griffiths realized that Sophie had fallen overboard. They searched frantically for the dog, but after hours of searching the turbulent waters, they turned towards home.

Sophie, of course, was too busy being awesome to notice her owners looking for her. After falling off the boat (though it’s possible she jumped off to attack the stingray that killed Steve Irwin) she proceeded to brave shark-infested waters, swimming five nautical miles to St. Bees Island. Despite it’s misleading name, St. Bees Island is not entirely populated by bees, but rather by goats and… nope, that’s pretty much it. Drawing from the exploits of her favorite mythical creature, the Chupacabra, Sophie Tucker began preying on the island’s goat for nourishment. According to reports, she preferred the goats prepared in the traditional Moroccan style, with prunes and apricots. Eventually, Sophie Tucker was found by rangers who’s job it was to periodically patrol the island. They unsurprisingly thought she was a wild dog because of her goat-murdering ways, until she impressed them with her aforementioned knowledge of North African cuisine. Sophie Tucker was returned home safely and immediately demanded better quality dog food and a goat-shaped chew toy.

Tuff the Yellow Lab

Tuff was a pretty amazing dog. He found his way home after being lost on the far side of St. John’s River. His owner, Chris Jackson, was a regular at the Crazy Horse Saloon, and was there drinking responsibly while he left Tuff chained up in the tray of his 1996 blue Ford pickup... responsibly. Apparently after being left outside for hours, someone got the bright idea of unchaining the dog either to steal it, or because it had been chained up for hours and looked like it needed a friend. Long story short, when Jackson came out of the tavern (at midnight), Tuff was gone.

Jackson and his girlfriend immediately put up flyers, imploring the community to help them fetch their lost pooch. Tuff was spotted several times by diligent neighbors, but never came close enough to be apprehended. Eventually, Tuff was found but three miles from his home, having traveled an amazing 18 miles towards his owners’ house and crossing a wide and turbulent river. Jackson and his girlfriend were skeptical that Tuff could have made the swim across St. John’s River, the currents of which are famously hard to navigate. The vet who treated Tuff, however, believes that if the current was just right, Tuff could have somehow navigated his way back home. That, or he crossed one of the many bridges spanning the river, genius.

Edited by EllJay
  • Like 2

Ok, this first one is not about a dog, but a cat...but an amazing one..........................

Good stuff....Thanks for contributing. :tu:

Edited by Sakari

Good stuff....Thanks for contributing. :tu:

Thank you.

I think Kuzya the Cat/Wondercat and the dog who rescued the other dog on the freeway was among the best ones.

Kuzya the Cat travelling 1300mile over Siberia to get home. Thats not something one does everyday.

Dog rescues abandoned newborn

A farm dog in Ghana has attained hero status after spending a night protecting an abandoned newborn human. Authorities say the dog, along with its two-week-old charge, was found under a bridge in Winkongo (which is near Bolgatanga, the Upper East Regional Capital of Ghana), near the farm where he lives – with the tiny baby snuggled against him..............

baby-abandoned-jpg_170249.jpg

http://shine.yahoo.com/pets/dog-rescues-abandoned-newborn.html

• Like 1