Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where stops our universe?

odinsupreme

I was just wondering, does the universe stop anywhere, and if it stops, what comes then, where is our universe? Are we a toy (the MIB movie)? I con't think that anyone knows the answer, but..

Odin Supreme  8)

:);):D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::):P :-[ :-X :-/ :-* :'(

[19th June 2002 Changed Storps into Stops, Odin S.]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Homer

• PurpleStuart

• odinsupreme

• cerberus

Odin,

It doesn't storp until it hits a storp light. :D

Hahahahahaha.....storp it, you're killing me. ;D

Sorry, my feeble attempt at humor surging to the fore once again.  :P I have to say that your command of the English language is remarkable, you put our friend Jimmy to shame. Typo's are a real pain, aren't they?  :)

There was a very interesting program on our local PBS station recently that dealt with this issue. It had to do with the study of super nova's and using data collected from the light given off by them to determine if the universe was still expanding or collapsing. The research showed the universe continuing to expand outward, and scientists made an amazing discovery. Super novas detected much farther out (billions of light years away) indicated that stars at the outer limits of detection are expanding out at a faster rate than closer stars. Researchers suspect 'dark matter' plays a pivotal roll in this finding. The further out you travel, the more 'dark matter' occupies empty space, and its believed to inhibit the effect of gravitational pull, thus allowing faster expansion. Understand, this is a layman's description of what the program was about, I hope I have explained it correctly. Quite a fascinating program though. They theorize that the expansion will eventually stop as the 'dark matter' exhausts its effect, but it is thought the collapse of the universe will take as long as the expansion (15 billion light years?)

MAGIKMAN

I will try to storp with thos errors!! I have seen an [program t5hat was almost the same, with the famous Stephen Hawkins (if i am right). But how big is the universe???

Odin "Storp" Supreme  8)

• 7 months later...

And for astronauts on those long journeys, it appears they will soon be able to grow their own meat chunks.

Hmmm....meat chunks...yum yum ;D :P

There is an article on this posted a couple of days ago:

here

The accelerated expansion of the universe was a widely accepted theory even before this finding, but the new evidense does add more weight to the theory. Dark Energy is cool 8)

[glow=blue,2,300]Homer :sj

Indeed, but the main point unanswered is fading universe or big crunch?

Me - well i reckon fading universe

Although that question can't be answered with absolute certainty, I agree with you PS. The two terms are either 'Big Crunch' or 'Big Chill', and my vote goes for the Big Chill.

Big Chills are cool 8)

sorry - my vocabulary failed me there  - it was 2:23 am when i wrote it   :)

• 2 months later...

I didn't read the links you guys have posted yet, but i was watching the Science Channel this morning. They were disscussing Quasars*.  And like magik was saying, they studied the light spectrum to determine how far/old the galaxy was (blue being closest and red being furthest).  The astronomist said they calculated the furthest galaxy to be 12 billions years old.  The problem with that is, we have suns/stars (which are easier to date) that date back some 20 billion years+.  So the baby can't be older then the mother.

This struck a thought in my head, that maybe the universe wasn't always expanding. It could have possibly been in some sort of suspended animation, due to gravity, or dark matter.  A possability is that another universe collided with our "chilled" universe just to make things move again.

I've always thought that the dark matter detected in our universe is everywhere, including outside our universe.  It is my belief that Anti-Gravity is dark matter.

OK, so where's the center of our galaxy and how can we say things are expanding if we dont have that fulcrum view?  Would if we are in the BIG CRUNCH or BIG CHILL mode now, and not expanding?  

P.s. I'm sure info has been updated since the filming of that show.

MC,

A couple things need to be cleared up with your post. First, blueshift and redshift doesn't mean which stars are further away and which are closer. Blueshift simply means the light's wavelengths are shorter, meaning that the sourse of the light is getting closer to us. Due to expansion, most galaxies have a longer wavelength, which means a redshift.

Another thing is that the most recent evidense from the Hubble Space Telescope is that the age of the universe is thought to be between 13-14 billion years old, and the oldest known stars are thought to be between 12-13 billion years old.

And finally anti-gravity can't be dark matter since the two are complete opposites. Dark matter is just like regular matter only we can't see it--because it's too dark. And matter is what creates gravity, so matter/dark matter can't be anti-gravity. Now dark energy might be considered anti-gravity since it has the opposite affect of dark matter. Dark energy is thought by some to be the driving force that's causing our universe to expand, thus acting like anti-gravity. Where dark matter is thought to be the reason why our galaxies are holding together during the expansion.

I still like the idea our universe is a marble and someone is having a game with us and others....like MIB

:s2

• 2 months later...

That really depends on who you want to believe. Most religious groups and spiritualists believe that the universe is infinite, but science disagrees. Astrophysics indicates that time and space were created at the Big Bang, making both time and space finite.

• 6 months later...

Spaceman,

Whether time and space is finite or infinite can't be proven, at least not with our current understanding. I said finite due to it being what most science experts say, and not because of my own belief. You should read exactly what was written and you will find I said "That really depends on who you want to believe" I never posted my belief rolleyes.gif