Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Labyrinths

Big Bad Voodoo

Hello UMers,

Long time ago I was reading Greek mythology and more then half of it disapear trough ages. But I always remeber story about Theseus killing Minotaur in labyrinth. I always like how Thesus roll rope from the entering in labyrinth so he could found way out. Ofcourse we talking about Daedalus/ Minos labirinth in Crete. Later Ovid said that Daedalus almost didnt find way from that labirinth after he built it. Seems to me that this fitt in description of todays maze not labirinth since maze can be simpy described as turrmoil puzzle with intention that mess with your mind and that you lose yourself there and eventualy smart and lucky one can find way out from ordered chaos. Beside Theseus rope trick you can easily find way from labirinth puting your right hand on right side wall and following that wall. Todays description of labirinth is one route. Something like life. One entering one way out. I wonder is that divide always been like that. Reading about labirinths every site I visited mention sam ancient labirinths. As Padmavyuha from Mahabharata which was military formation. Herodotus Egyptian labirinth in the City of crocodiles which was even greater then pyramids. Plinys Lemnian labyrinth. Varro s Etruscian King Lars Porsena labirinth beneath his tomb. When wroting this I remember Nasca lines and thought could that be labirinth?

From wiki: A tablet inscribed in Linear B found at Knossos records a gift "to all the gods honey; to the mistress of the labyrinth honey." All the gods together receive as much honey as the Mistress of the Labyrinth alone.

knossos_plan.jpg

Palace of Knosos.

Is that historical record that actually labirinth existed on Crete, if so how come we didnt found it yet. Just brainstorming here. Anyway, labirinths didnt only existed in Euroasia. They existed in pre-columbian America. Native american indians Tohono O odham from Arizona have their maze.

From wiki: According to O'odham oral history, the labyrinth design depicts experiences and choices we make in our journey through life. In the middle of the "maze", a person finds their dreams and goals. When one reaches the center, we have one final opportunity (the last turn in the design) to look back upon our choices and path, before the Sun God greets us, blesses us and passes us into the next world.

man_in_the_maze.jpg

Celtic maze from island Gavrinis in Brittany,France dates from 3500 BC.

From wiki: The island is famous because of its important passage grave, a megalithic monument from the Neolithic period, belonging to the same broad context as the Breton megaliths of Carnac and Locmariaquer, and closely connected with the monuments at Brú na Boínne (Ireland) and Maes Howe (Orkney). At the time of its construction, c. 3500 BC, the island was still connected with the mainland. The rich internal decorations make Gavrinis one of the major treasuries of European megalithic art. The tomb is also remarkable for the care taken in its construction and its good preservation.

424px-Celtic_spiral_tile_pattern.svg.png

Bougon_Gavrinis_repl2.jpg

Bougon_Gavrinis_rep.jpg

So what are labirinths? For what ancient use them? What was their purpose? What did they represent? We saw that was a global phenomenan. Today people built labirinths around the world. People say that you might have some personal expirience when go trough labirinth that cant be messured. Some feels better. Are they used for healing rituals? Religon purpose? To connect with higher conscience? Can passing trough labirinth gave you focus and concentration? Is that somehow meditation? To gather energy? To be become more self awared? Some say that they become more relaxed. I listen of story of one father who bring his autistic kid to labirith and he said that his kid is feeling better. So realy what was purpose of them? Something seexual? Did they represent life? Miltary formations? Maybe some dancing steps for some rites?

To be continued…

Are Nasca lines labirinths?

Maybe in the sense that it was for a spiritual purpose. Likely walking along the patterns to meditate. The lines are not at all complicated or elaborate. Nothing maze-like about them. To me, a labyrinth is a test of one's self. Essentially, a tricky maze.

• Like 1

In my homeland it was opened city of labirinths. You have music, wood, open air. Who wouldnt be healed? :lol:

ogl%2012.jpg

ogl%2013.jpg

ogl%2015.jpg

They expand their city trough all Croatia.

This is labirinth of love and creation.

Vrtolom_09.jpg

dobrila%2005.jpg

Labirinth of connection

DVJarun%2005.jpgDVJarun%2004.jpg

Labirinth of power and focus

labirint_moci_damir_kruljac%2001.jpg

Labitrinth of connection

Stipan_Krneze_05.jpg

Labirinth of transformation and freedom

Stipan_Murvica_02.jpg

Labirinth of energy

DD%20energija%2001_440.jpg

Now Im feeling dizzy of all those mazes. :wacko: To be continued....

Thanks for the hint, I really appreciate that. I think some of the pictures you've provided as labyrinths are a stretch, even for the definition...

lab·y·rinth

   [lab-uh-rinth] Show IPA

noun

an intricate combination of paths or passages in which it is difficult to find one's way or to reach the exit. Synonyms: maze, network, web.

a maze of paths bordered by high hedges, as in a park or garden, for the amusement of those who search for a way out.

a complicated or tortuous arrangement, as of streets or buildings. Synonyms: warren, maze, jungle, snarl, tangle, knot.

any confusingly intricate state of things or events; a bewildering complex: His papers were lost in an hellish bureaucratic labyrinth. After the death of her daughter, she wandered in a labyrinth of sorrow for what seemed like a decade. Synonyms: wilderness, jungle, forest; morass.

( initial capital letter ) Classical Mythology . a vast maze built in Crete by Daedalus, at the command of King Minos, to house the Minotaur.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/labyrinth%27s

So you see, there is no difference.

Some really nice pics btw L. Not tryna start a fight really. lol

The Babylonian Labyrinth

Clay tablet from Babylon, 12th-11th c. BCE, Vorderasiatische Museum, Berlin.

wp4fd70947.jpg

tablet from Mesopotamia (c. 1800 BCE)

wpb54c959c.jpg

Nepalese Labyrinth

wpd77a4a9e_1b.jpg

Petra Jordan Labirinth

wp99846baf.jpg

Labirinth have one route, its easy to follow it. In maze you can be lost.

Stone Labyrinths in Arctic Norway

Another significant feature of their location is that all are situated on or near Saami (Lapp) burial grounds. Regarding their age, there is ample evidence to suggest that they were constructed during the period 1200-1700 CE. This is based both on local shoreline displacement chronology, and their association with Saami burials dated to this period.

http://www.labyrinthos.net/arcticnorway.html

wp6a0a0e5e.jpg

wp01aab54f.jpg

i think they are a way to meditate and visualize. they may be elaborate, but i think the answer is simple.

Labirinth have one route, its easy to follow it. In maze you can be lost.

Could you quote which part of the definition you received that bit of knowledge from? Maybe I overlooked it, but I could have sworn they are basically a synonym of each other. I don't remember the part where it says that a labyrinth is only one way route.

Edited by Mentalcase

Labyrinths in India, Pakistan, Nepal & Sri Lanka

Labyrinth petroglyph, Pansaimol, Goa

wp2c7743da_1b.jpg

Labyrinth petroglyph, Pansaimol

wp59137e40_1b.jpg

Labyrinth inscription, Ondavalli

wp5e7c4ab0_1b.jpg

Labyrinth carved on a dolmen shrine at Padugula

wp4d4c5351.jpg

Ibrahim Rouza, Bijapur

wp49b0fafe_1b.jpg

Temple of Kali, Kurukshetra

wp41cd3c51_1b.jpg

Wall painting, Mädavala Temple, Sri Lanka

wpf8286068_1b.jpg

From http://www.labyrinthos.net/indialabs.html

Spain labirinth at Meis, Rocky Valley labirinth in UK, Tomba del Labirinto,Petra Jordan Labirinth,Estonia labirinth, Norway labirinth, Labyrinth petroglyph Pansaimol, Labyrinth inscription Ondavalli, Labyrinth carved on a dolmen shrine at Padugula, Wall painting, Mädavala Temple, Sri Lanka are very similar labirinths.