Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swarms of deadly spiders invade Indian town

Still Waters

Swarms of spiders descending from nowhere and biting those unfortunate enough to stray into their path sounds like the stuff of nightmares.

But for people in one Indian town, the scenario is all too real.

Two people are said to have died after being bitten by the poisonous creatures in Sadiya, in the north east of India.

http://www.dailymail...ndian-town.html

Wow,are they Pakistani spiders ?

hmmmm.... I'm having trouble believing this one. And why no pictures of the spider if there are so many?

Didn't something like this happen in Austraila? I saw pictures of it and there were webs everywhere that were full of spiders. These spiders sound dangerous, I don't know how deadly the spiders in the other case were. I guess I could look up the link but I'm not, too lazy.

Didn't something like this happen in Austraila? I saw pictures of it and there were webs everywhere that were full of spiders. These spiders sound dangerous, I don't know how deadly the spiders in the other case were. I guess I could look up the link but I'm not, too lazy.

Yep, scary for arachnophobes.

spider-webs-australia-floods-clouds_49726_600x450.jpg

spider-webs-australia-floods-field_49728_600x450.jpg

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/pictures/120307-spiderwebs-australia-floods-wagga-wagga-world-science/#/spider-webs-australia-floods-field_49728_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

I would have to agree. Something doesn't seem quite right. Although the article does state that the treatment by local witch doctors may have caused worsening of symptoms instead of curing.

Great pics DKO. Now I know where to get silk for my wife's dress.

• Like 1

Wowie superb pictures,what do you think attracts them in such huge numbers ?.

Wowie superb pictures,what do you think attracts them in such huge numbers ?.

I meant to post this link in my original post.

After a week of record rain, floodwaters across eastern Australia have forced the ground-dwelling spiders—and at least 13,000 people—to flee their homes, according to Reuters.

The rampant webs blanketing vast stretches of Wagga Wagga are likely "a dispersal mechanism that allows [spiders] to move out of places where they'd surely be drowned," said Robert Matthews, a professor emeritus of entomology at the University of Georgia.

Producing large quantities of silk creates a sort of "vast trampoline" that supports the spiders as they're fleeing the water, he noted.

Matthews added he he has never seen such a "striking phenomenon."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/03/pictures/120307-spiderwebs-australia-floods-wagga-wagga-world-science/#/spider-webs-australia-floods-clouds_49726_600x450.jpg

Another cool photo:

pakistan-floods-drive-spiders-into-trees-adult_34026_600x450.jpg

• Like 1

Spiders are creepy enough without them being highly aggressive.

• Like 1

im an arachnophobe.though spiders are kind of beneficial to man by eating other pests,but i cant stand the thought.THANK YOU

I found a photo of the possible offender.

spider+in+india.jpg

Obviously upside down, makes the spider look creepier.

http://www.ksee24.co...-157043075.html

It doesn't mention webs or previous flooding, just swarming during a festival. And that the two people who died may have just been allergic to the bite.

Edited by QuiteContrary

First, it's zombie-like attacks! Now, arachnophobia comes to life! What's next?

HAHAHA, it's like everyones fears are coming true....

yikes crusty aggresive and venomous! I wonder from where they came? Very scary!!

I took a picture of a spider exactly like that only brown instead of black, same red abdomen. It was this spring..a few thousand miles away from this paradise. If only I was technicely literate.

Well, I went around the usual way and made it my picture. It's been dead a fea hours, my cam phone didn' do the colors justice, especially the red-orange. Oh and mostly black, legs might have been but this guy died in sub 30's temps. so while the coloration was faded some, it still tasted great.

Edited by Framling

if anyone knows what kind of spider it is or finds a cause please post it.. I would like to know the end of this story :)

I think it is important to keep in mind how critical these creatures are to our ecosystem, They do a job that makes our lives better, and keep other pests under control. We should be respectful of this beautiful creatures techniques; its methods that have made it so successful in our fragile planet.

Be respectful, give them their space to do their job and they will give you equal respect and space. When considering wfefwpw v q1304

SPIDER ON THE DESK!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!

flame-thrower-o.gif

If someone could call my insurance agent I would appreciate it.

• Like 2