Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick question for the limeys

OverSword

I see all this hype in the media in the USA about the queen's diamond jubilee (thats a 75th anniversary for the rest of us but apparently it's 60th if your extra priveledged) What is the big deal? Does your monarchy actually serve a function? Do you really feel patriotic loyalty to this family historically consisting of some of the most messed up greedy inbred weirdos in the history of the world?

Sure, I'm trolling a bit, but I honestly would like to see some of your input.

It is NOT a big deal for the majority of us. Sure people enjoy having a few days off work because of it and the excuse for a street party, but that party is just for the people that are there.

No, the monarchy doesn't actually serve a function ........ other than making the downtrodden feel even more aggrieved.

There is a growing movement to have them replaced.

'Inbred greedy weirdos'....this from somebody from the country that produced George W. Bush, a man so thick he could bearing string a sentence together without making up totally ficticious words. Or Bill 'better take that dress to the cleaners tomorrow monica' Clinton. Or J. Edger 'call me sally' Hoover.

• Like 3

'Inbred greedy weirdos'....this from somebody from the country that produced George W. Bush, a man so thick he could bearing string a sentence together without making up totally ficticious words. Or Bill 'better take that dress to the cleaners tomorrow monica' Clinton. Or J. Edger 'call me sally' Hoover.

Keep in mind that GWB and the Windsor's are cousins, and all of those people you mentioned aren't loved and respected just because they were born (OK, except for GWB - LOL!)

• Like 1

It is NOT a big deal for the majority of us. Sure people enjoy having a few days off work because of it and the excuse for a street party, but that party is just for the people that are there.

No, the monarchy doesn't actually serve a function ........ other than making the downtrodden feel even more aggrieved.

ouija, replaced with what?

Please guys, try not to get mad I hate everyone with power and money, not just your royals. But from my POV at least a guy like Bill Gates or Donald Trump actually achieved things that were somewhat admirable to get thier wealth and power. What did your prince of wales do?

They're more popular than ever.

I see all this hype in the media in the USA about the queen's diamond jubilee (thats a 75th anniversary for the rest of us but apparently it's 60th if your extra priveledged) What is the big deal? Does your monarchy actually serve a function? Do you really feel patriotic loyalty to this family historically consisting of some of the most messed up greedy inbred weirdos in the history of the world?

What exactly is the point of being such an a$$? The Monarchy, while not something America would ever accept, is still a proud historical tradition that is well loved by one of, if not THE best allies we've ever had. Do you REALLY want to throw stones/insults against those who've been with us through thick and thin for nearly a couple centuries? I bet your a real laugh a minute at parties, man....Damn!

• Like 7

Tradition, custom , culture, it's what we do and do it well, would you call other cultures as in people who dance around totem poles dressed in feathers weirdos? why are our traditions any less important than anyone else's? wind your neck in.

• Like 9

What exactly is the point of being such an a$$? The Monarchy, while not something America would ever accept, is still a proud historical tradition that is well loved by one of, if not THE best allies we've ever had. Do you REALLY want to throw stones/insults against those who've been with us through thick and thin for nearly a couple centuries? I bet your a real laugh a minute at parties, man....Damn!

:tu:

• Like 2

OverSword, if your views of British Monarchy and history are based on the ravings of a crazed lunatic who wants us to believe that the world leaders are descendants of reptillian creatures from the planet Draco, then I fear it's hardly worth making a reply! Sorry.

My Queen is not an effing crocodile!!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 3

. .....this family historically consisting of some of the most messed up greedy inbred weirdos in the history of the world?

Not to mention German!

However absurd it may be to you, it's about culture and tradition. You don't have to be a monarchist, or even to support it, to appreciate this. People all over the world celebrate their own cultures, however weird it is.

It's often difficult for Americans to appreciate this, as their only cultural contribution to the world has been McDonald's.

• Like 2

It's often difficult for Americans to appreciate this, as their only cultural contribution to the world has been McDonald's.

You forgot Rock and Roll.

As far as I'm concerned the more people go on about their culture the more degenerate it is.

Please guys, try not to get mad I hate everyone with power and money, not just your royals. But from my POV at least a guy like Bill Gates or Donald Trump actually achieved things that were somewhat admirable to get thier wealth and power. What did your prince of wales do?

And there is the problem in a nutshell. The trouble with getting to the top on merit is that people (particularly career Politicians) who have got themselves where they are today through sheer hard work are often the most ambitious and willing to trample on anyone who gets in their way - i.e. they're often the most unpleasant people you could hope to meet. Getting to the Top just means, certainly for someone like Trump, that they love Wealth to the exclusion of all else. is that really something admirable? Merit needn't necessarily mean that they're better at doing the job than everyone else, just that they're the most ruthless and certain that they're right. Most Dictators got to the top through sheer hard work. If anyone would be able to provide a reasonable argument why it would be advantageous to replace the Monarch as head of state with someone elected, then i'd be perfectly willing to listen to them, but so far the arguments have not been persuasive; would we just be replacing the Monarch with the prime Minister given even more (largely ceremonial) powers, thus increasing their ego even more, or would we just replace them with a figurehead who has no power at all, like Richard Branston or Lord Sugar? Or would they go the whole hog and appoint a Lord Protector as to all intents and purposes dictator? Whatever it might be, there'd still be the same crowd of arrogant incompetents actually in control as there are now, so no one would be any better off really.

• Like 2

The Queen holds more power than being a mere figure head in the fact that she is the Head of the Church of England. Further more she is the Commander and Chief of the British Armed Forces. She works full time and does a sight more than any other 80 year old woman I know of.

Here's a quote about the Queen by Haile Selassie. "Your Majesty, during Your Reign, which commenced in an African country only a little distance to the South, You have carried forward gloriously the traditions of Your lineage and brought new honour to the Throne which You occupy. Your Majesty personally enjoys today the respect, the admiration and the affection of all peoples to whom Britain serves as the symbol of indomitability in adversity, of courage when confronted by danger, of dignity and resolve when threatened with defeat, and of magnanimity and generosity in victory."

• Like 6

maybe all this hype that your seeing in the US media - maybe they are broadening your horizons, allowing you to witness History in the making. the jubilee will now be entered into the history books for future generations to learn. just as we have.

if you done a little research you'd know if the queen served a purpose and wouldn't have even asked the question.

do I feel patriotic to the monarchy?. the answer is Yes, just the way americans are patriotic to a flag, we acknowledged the monarchy for what it represents to the United Kingdom, a love for tradition has never weakened a nation, indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.

the same institution that you seem to dislike laid the foundations of your country we see today. if it wasnt for the monarchy and its role in the colonsation of America your history would be very different - with one of the other great colonial powers of the age colonising america and you wouldnt be what you are today. history might seem distant but the influence is still felt today.

America is a new country with its own institutions and traditions, but nothing to rival the United Kingdom maybe we understand just what we have and feel a sense of duty to preserve it,

what does America have to rival this?

Diamond-jubilee-Queen-Eli-008.jpg

j36_45757517.jpg

[media=]

[/media] Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 5

In England our dual political system consists of the Queen and Parliment but in the US its a President and Congress. The Queen has full executive power however normally limits her actions to signing off Acts of Parliments. She is there to protect against dictatorship or as we call them Lord Protectors. She is also the head of the armed forces to stop Parliment declaring war whenever it wants.

She performs the same function for Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand. A monarch, could if they wanted dissolve the Parliments of Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand. Technically the British Empire is still here.

She has a lot of cultural significance for us Britons. Getting rod of the Queen would be like getting rid of baseball for Americans. She is a symbol of who we are and our history.

Having a monarch is cheaper than having a president because she generates income from tourism. Infact she makes to country a nice tidy profit so having a

• Like 1

I have great respect for Queen Elizabeth... She has performed her role with dignity and 'class' that is as refreshing as it is (unfortunately) rare...

What I don't like about the 'Royals' (and it's not their fault) is the massive focus our (American) media (and most especially Tabloid Television) puts on every single thing they do... The same with actors and actresses - the difference being the actors SEEK OUT the attention - the Royals are just trying to live their lives...

For example the recent royal wedding... For a country that swore to never have royalty we sure spend a lot of time obsessing over them...

I really hope the British people never end the Monarchy...

And Oversword... Our British friends may not exactly like being called 'limeys'...

• Like 4

Thanks for the enlightenment people, and Taun, I was aware of that bit about "limeys". Part of the reason I did that is trying to raise some hackles and seeing just how vigorous I could get the defense of thier culture to come out. I actually LOVE the English and am very happy and proud to be a descendant of such a rich stoic people. As I said at the begining of the thread, I was being a bit of a troll and just having fun.

Hey guys, don't change a thing.

Hi Oversword, we are quite a proud people ,and friends with America , but you are crossing the line a bit, Did you know that us "Limeys" are called that because we started giving our Sailors Lime Juice to combat scurvy, a killer disease,and it worked, but without being offensive our nickname for you guys is "Septic" derived from the cockney slang Septic Tank...= Yank, sorry mate but I think you shot yourself in the foot. cheers S.T.M.

• Like 2

Like I said spud, I was just pulling your chain a bit, and am well aware of the septic term as well as alot of others. Doesn't bother me. I don't agree with the shot myself in the foot assesment as, like I said Pulling your chain a bit, or breaking your balls as they say in the movies.

Hi Oversword, we are quite a proud people ,and friends with America , but you are crossing the line a bit, Did you know that us "Limeys" are called that because we started giving our Sailors Lime Juice to combat scurvy, a killer disease,and it worked, but without bein...Mr g offensive our nickname for you guys is "Septic" derived from the cockney slang Septic Tank...= Yank, sorry mate but I think you shot yourself in the foot. cheers S.T.M.

Wrote a comment then thought twice about it..ignore me...grrrrr

Edited by BrianPotter

Like I said spud, I was just pulling your chain a bit, and am well aware of the septic term as well as alot of others. Doesn't bother me. I don't agree with the shot myself in the foot assesment as, like I said Pulling your chain a bit, or breaking your balls as they say in the movies.

One of the reasons you've kicked over such a hornet's nestOverSword, is that over the last few decades, the British (particularly the English) have been portrayed in the Movies and TV etc. as the archetypal 'bad guys'. I refer to such historically incorrect garbage such as U571, Braveheart and The Patriot (two particularly 'imaginative' offerings from the rabidly anti-English Gibson!)

These days there very few sections of humanity that can be maligned with impunity - the British people being about the last targets available within the confines of political correctness. So you can see why some of us get hot under the collar when yet another broadside is fired at us!

Bear in mind the British lion and the motto of the Clan Macpherson 'Touch Not the Cat Bot a Glove'.

Chain-pulling or not, the ice is pretty thin on this particular pond!

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 5

One of the reasons you've kicked over such a hornet's nestOverSword, is that over the last few decades, the British (particularly the English) have been portrayed in the Movies and TV etc. as the archetypal 'bad guys'. I refer to such historically incorrect garbage such as U571, Braveheart and The Patriot (two particularly 'imaginative' offerings from the rabidly anti-English Gibson!)

These days there very few sections of humanity that can be maligned with impunity - the British people being about the last targets available within the confines of political correctness. So you can see why some of us get hot under the collar when yet another broadside is fired at us!

Bear in mind the British lion and the motto of the Clan Macpherson 'Touch Not the Cat Bot a Glove'.

Chain-pulling or not, the ice is pretty thin on this particular pond!

Now you know how it feels to be an American in your average political forum.

I happen to know, through immigrant friends and acquaintances that although the ice may be thin, the skin is actually pretty thick. Again people let me make perfectly clear that I really do love and respect my anglo cousins and thier culture. I won't say I wasn't trying to offend you a little, but just in fun.

Look up 'Prince of Wales Trust' :P He is not my favourite Royal as a result of what went on with Diana :cry:

Hi Oversword,What I dont really understand is why you would want to antagonise folk and "wind" them up,what's the point, ?. I guess most of the Brits on this topic, took a dim view of it, and naturally responded. Personally I like the Queen,but do get a bit fed up with all the hoo hah, but they do a lot of unseen work for the Country. Put it this way ,what is the first thing American tourists do after they have booked into their hotel, ? well they go off to Buck Palace,stand in front for hours,watch changing of the Guard,and hope to glimpse Her Maj,then off to the Tower of London, to have a guided tour of History,believe me I have chatted to these people and shown them how to get to places of interest,when I worked there for a spell,and have been met with comments like "Gee we just love your quaint country".All I can say now mate ,is we are your closest Friendly country,so please dont "poke the bear"..cheers