Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick question for the limeys

OverSword

I apologize to all of you. You have admirably defended your love and loyalty to your monarchy.

• Like 1

I apologize to all of you. You have admirably defended your love and loyalty to your monarchy.

Than

Thanks for being man enough to apologise,I accept, and whoever he/she may be I would never think of criticising your Head of State. (its not British you know). cheers

Now you know how it feels to be an American in your average political forum.

I happen to know, through immigrant friends and acquaintances that although the ice may be thin, the skin is actually pretty thick. Again people let me make perfectly clear that I really do love and respect my anglo cousins and thier culture. I won't say I wasn't trying to offend you a little, but just in fun.

What do you mean anglo cousins?

Stand up, salute the Queen and admit you're British.

• Like 1

What do you mean anglo cousins?

Stand up, salute the Queen and admit you're British.

LOL!!!! Sorry Mr.Wing, I'm a yankee doodle dandy who's family has been here for over 300 years (on my fathers side). I guarantee however, if I ever met the Queen, I would honor myself by behaving as respectfully and appropriately as decorum and tradition demands of a non-subject.

• Like 1

LOL!!!! Sorry Mr.Wing, I'm a yankee doodle dandy who's family has been here for over 300 years (on my fathers side). I guarantee however, if I ever met the Queen, I would honor myself by behaving as respectfully and appropriately as decorum and tradition demands of a non-subject.

Only 300 years? That's nowhere near long enough to establish a nationality! Nope, Wing's right - you're still British!!!!

Only 300 years? That's nowhere near long enough to establish a nationality! Nope, Wing's right - you're still British!!!!

Naw, my teeth are too straight.

One day a moment of weakness will happen for the US. Thats when us Brits will sail over the pond and take our colonies back. No more US you rebels will be crushed !!!

Do you like your Statue of Liberty? We will change it to the Statue of Elizebeth muwhahahah

Edited by Mr Right Wing
  • Like 1

Naw, my teeth are too straight.

You've got teeth? all the trailer park people i see on the net don't normally have any, not in the front anyway you must be a rarity on your site.

• Like 2

You've got teeth? all the trailer park people i see on the net don't normally have any, not in the front anyway you must be a rarity on your site.

hetrodoxly...here's a really bad joke: What do you have when you get 32 women from (insert name of town or country here)? A full set of teeth :w00t:

A helluva lot of folks here aren't bothered about royalty...but they know the alternatives would probably cost even more.And the thought of some moron like Blair becoming president makes us happy to keep what we've got.

The Queen gains respect for doing her job well...it's the rest of the hangers on that we don't care for..(that's me anyway)

• Like 1

You're right ealdwita. On my father's side I really am!

And if Americans need to learn their connection to the British Monarchy, they need to study their own history. In fact, they can start in 1492 when Catherine of Aragon's parents financed Columbus' voyage to the new world.

You're right ealdwita. On my father's side I really am!

And if Americans need to learn their connection to the British Monarchy, they need to study their own history. In fact, they can start in 1492 when Catherine of Aragon's parents financed Columbus' voyage to the new world.

Possibly even earlier than that, susie. It's possible that Leif Ericson led his Vikings to 'Vinland' with the support of Canute of England, or (more likely) Malcolm II of Scotland. Ericson was blown off course on his way to bring Christianity to the Viking colony on Greenland and ended up in the Hebrides where he spent nearly a year, and almost certainly traveled south to England to visit his kinsman on the throne of England.

For many years, it was believed that the Vikings left no permanent settlements in North America, but recently, finds in Newfoundland are beginning to indicate otherwise. (Sorry, I'm rambling again, aren't I?)

No, you are most likely right. It makes you wonder how many Americans are aware of where the names of many of their states came from. Total British Monarchy. Many place names here in the northeast are either of British origin or Indian. Dukes, Earls, Lords... they all have their niche here somewhere!

No, you are most likely right. It makes you wonder how many Americans are aware of where the names of many of their states came from. Total British Monarchy. Many place names here in the northeast are either of British origin or Indian. Dukes, Earls, Lords... they all have their niche here somewhere!

I think we should stop calling them Americans and call them independant Brits.

Once they've got used to that we can then start calling them Brits. Then all we have to do is find a way to sneak the Monarchs head back onto their money lol.

Why dont we leave the EU and patch up the past problems? The Queen can remain in just a ceremonial role here in England, our MPs can take up seats in Congress and we can elect a joint president. Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand can join too. My advice is not to let Blair run in the presidential campaign as he's like Nero.

• Like 2

When I was in - probably the 6th grade - our "Social Studies" class taught us where the names of all the states came from (long since forgotten some of them)... We were required to know the capitol AND largest city of each state and territory...

Recently I asked one of my nieces some of these questions and she just looked at me like I was crazy... "Why do I need to know that Uncle Sam?"

(shakes head dolefully)

Edited by Taun

Once they've got used to that we can then start calling them Brits. Then all we have to do is find a way to sneak the Monarchs head back onto their money lol.

Why dont we leave the EU and patch up the past problems? The Queen can remain in just a ceremonial role here in England, our MPs can take up seats in Congress and we can elect a joint president. Canada, Austrailia and New Zealand can join too. My advice is not to let Blair run in the presidential campaign as he's like Nero.

I really don't care what you call us... Just don't call us late for meals. (badda-boom)... Seriously, being called "Independent Brits" is one of the nicer things we get called on these boards...

• Like 2

I really don't care what you call us... Just don't call us late for meals. (badda-boom)... Seriously, being called "Independent Brits" is one of the nicer things we get called on these boards...

Its got to be better than being called Americas poodle lol

I'm a Canadian from 'British' Columbia, the capital of which is 'Victoria'.No, no connections here.As an aside, I was in London during the Silver Jubilee. You go 'Betty!

• Like 2

Then all we need to do is teach them how to spell and talk correctly ;)

• Like 1

Then all we need to do is teach them how to spell and talk correctly ;)

I work with a guy from Devon. He mumbles and doesn't enunciate. When we tell him to 'speak English', he gets p***y.

When I was in - probably the 6th grade - our "Social Studies" class taught us where the names of all the states came from (long since forgotten some of them)... We were required to know the capitol AND largest city of each state and territory...

Recently I asked one of my nieces some of these questions and she just looked at me like I was crazy... "Why do I need to know that Uncle Sam?"

(shakes head dolefully)

It's really funny, but it wasn't until I read a book about the Great Fire of London in 1666 that I really understood who William Penn was and where he came from. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Reading English history has really helped to bring my own to life. I understand so much better.

• Like 1

It's really funny, but it wasn't until I read a book about the Great Fire of London in 1666 that I really understood who William Penn was and where he came from. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Reading English history has really helped to bring my own to life. I understand so much better.

It's funny how one bit of history attaches it's self to another, Pennsylvania, maryland, Delaware and West Virginia (if my memory serves me right) had a boundary dispute so they sent for Charley Mason (astronomer) and Jeremiah Dixon (surveyor) to mark the boundary which became known as the Mason & Dixon line.

Mark Knopfler & James Taylor tell the story well......

I'm pretty sure any interest in Australia with the Queen is going to die with my parents generation. And even so, there's only a few that seem to care any more than having a interest in the novelty the monarchy generates.

I work with a guy from Devon. He mumbles and doesn't enunciate. When we tell him to 'speak English', he gets p***y.

Who can understand the farmer dialogue? hahaha

Its worse than trying to understand what Rab C Nesbitt is saying

Not reading English history reading your history.

1666 is way before the revolt happened.

I'm pretty sure any interest in Australia with the Queen is going to die with my parents generation. And even so, there's only a few that seem to care any more than having a interest in the novelty the monarchy generates.

I think if Scotland or Austrailia tried to declare Independance it would result in a huge British civil war.

The US might try to intervene to gain some new states. If thats the case it would create problems because on one side we can fight for the Queen or on the other Britain gets reunified. Mmm difficult choice.

I think the 'President of the United States of America and Great Britain' may sound a little too appealing lol.