Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick question for the limeys

OverSword

I think if Scotland or Austrailia tried to declare Independance it would result in a huge British civil war.

The US might try to intervene to gain some new states. If thats the case it would create problems because on one side we can fight for the Queen or on the other Britain gets reunified. Mmm difficult choice.

I think the 'President of the United States of America and Great Britain' may sound a little too appealing lol.

What are you talking about.!!!! That would be too trivial a reason for a civil war.

What are you talking about.!!!! That would be too trivial a reason for a civil war.

Scotland is not like England there are deep religous divisions within its society.

The English civil war was triggered by Scottish Catholics fighting Scottish Protestants and it could very easily happen again. If you watch the news surrounding Scottish football then I'm sure you realise both sides hate each other. Sending death threats, bombs and bullets through the post is something a lot of them agree with behind closed doors.

The Catholics are the ones that want an independant Scotland and the Protestants want to remain part of the UK. Scotland is not an atheist country like England and if independance happens it will likely kick off again. However this time it wont be because King James rewrote the Bible it will be the collapse of the UK. Then the Catholics in Ireland and Wales will side with their Scottish brothers as they did last time. Then England will have to fight a civil war to save the Protestants in Scotland. Australia, Canada and New Zealand could easily be drawn into the conflict. England would also have to go to war to save its oil supply as most North Sea oil comes in to Aberdeen.

All this is totally plausable and the likely outcome from Scottish Independance.

I really don't care what you call us... Just don't call us late for meals. (badda-boom)... Seriously, being called "Independent Brits" is one of the nicer things we get called on these boards...

Hiya,Taun, Ive just thought of the way to become better friends ! How about if you let us put an image of the Queens Head on your postage stamps,we shall allow you to put an image of your Presidents Head on All the McDonalds takeaway bags...Is that a fair deal ??? (No offence to your President of course).
  • Like 1

I work with a guy from Devon. He mumbles and doesn't enunciate. When we tell him to 'speak English', he gets p***y.

Yeah, you are correct there mate, Any accent south of the 50th parallel in the U.K (thats about halfway down) cannot be understood by us guys from the North,in fact I am living in the south at the moment, and trying to educate the natives but failing miserably..ha ha ...

It's really funny, but it wasn't until I read a book about the Great Fire of London in 1666 that I really understood who William Penn was and where he came from. I was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Reading English history has really helped to bring my own to life. I understand so much better.

Hey Susie me darlin, Your First President Mr.G.Washington came from the U.K and one of his buddies was the first Governor of Pennsylvania ,but we also have 2 very old villages in North England called Washington and Pennsylvania (co-incidence maybe)..
  • Like 1

Some are followers of queens and kings some are followers of "people" people, some of us actually do not care about one or another, xcept for the money they stoled from dummies.

Beaumarchais

Le Mariage de Figaro, Acte V scène 3 (extrait)

0 femme ! femme ! femme ! nul animal créé ne peut manquer à son instinct ; le tien est-il donc de tromper ? Après m'avoir obstinément refusé quand je l'en pressais devant sa maîtresse ; à l'instant qu'elle me donne sa parole ; au milieu même de la cérémonie... Il riait en lisant, le perfide ! et moi, comme un benêt !... Non, Monsieur le Comte, vous ne l'aurez pas... vous ne l'aurez pas. Parce que vous êtes un grand seigneur, vous vous croyez un grand génie !... Noblesse, fortune, un rang, des places, tout cela rend si fier ! Qu'avez-vous fait pour tant de biens ? Vous vous êtes donné la peine de naître, et rien de plus

No. My Lord Count, you shan't have her, you shall not have her! Because you are a great nobleman you think you are a great genius ... Nobility, fortune, rank, position! How proud they make a man feel! What have you done to deserve such advantages? Put yourself to the trouble of being born

Yeah, you are correct there mate, Any accent south of the 50th parallel in the U.K (thats about halfway down) cannot be understood by us guys from the North,in fact I am living in the south at the moment, and trying to educate the natives but failing miserably..ha ha ...

Go on back you go, get back over Hadrians wall to where you belong you barbarian.

I went up there once and never again. The men wear skirts and they all eat square sausages. Strange people lol.

Hey Susie me darlin, Your First President Mr.G.Washington came from the U.K and one of his buddies was the first Governor of Pennsylvania ,but we also have 2 very old villages in North England called Washington and Pennsylvania (co-incidence maybe)..

Here's a wiki summation of the founding of Pennsylvania.

http://en.wikipedia....ylvania#History

William Penn's father, William, was an admiral of the British Navy under Charles II. He fought and helped to finance the war against Amsterdam. William Sr.(?) was a good friend of Samuel Pepys and spent much time with him during the great fire. William Penn Jr. was given a land grant in repayment of the King's debt to his father and New Amsterdam became the state of New York ( named for Charles II's brother and successor, the Duke of York) after the Dutch defeat.

Edited by susieice

Go on back you go, get back over Hadrians wall to where you belong you barbarian.

I went up there once and never again. The men wear skirts and they all eat square sausages. Strange people lol.

Hey pal,dont insult me, I am a Mackem if you arent to uneducated to know what that means. And dont insult the Scots or you may end up getting a Glasgie sandwich.C .U. Jimmie..

Here's a wiki summation of the founding of Pennsylvania.

http://en.wikipedia....ylvania#History

William Penn's father, William, was an admiral of the British Navy under Charles II. He fought and helped to finance the war against Amsterdam. William Sr.(?) was a good friend of Samuel Pepys and spent much time with him during the great fire. William Penn Jr. was given a land grant in repayment of the King's debt to his father and New Amsterdam became the state of New York ( named for Charles II's brother and successor, the Duke of York) after the Dutch defeat.

Yep 100% correct young Lady,but can you imagine The Big Apple being called New Amsterdam by todays standards Wow ..

I think if Scotland or Austrailia tried to declare Independance it would result in a huge British civil war.

Australia?

I think regarding Scotland, most people would say "well, let them if they really think they can make a go of it, we'll see after a few years." I think actually not a few might be quite pleased to have some of those North of the Border who perpetually moan about how the English sponge off them and so on off their backs, really.

{N.B. anyone North of the Border who might happen to be reading this, this does not, obviously, refer to you, or any of your friends, colleagues or relations.}

:P

LOL. I could never imagine New York by any other name.

LOL. I could never imagine New York by any other name.

I love New York and have been on a few occasions but the real York in Northern England is a truly beautiful place..

• Like 2

Here's the origin of the state of Maryland, named for the wife of Charles I.

http://en.wikipedia....aryland#History

Hi again Susie, now you are losing me ,as History wasn't my favourite subject owing to the Gestapo teacher who took great delight in bouncing blackboard chalk off your head for lapse of concentration ( caused by looking out of the window at the girls netball match),but I was ok at geography I think..ha

I love New York and have been on a few occasions but the real York in Northern England is a truly beautiful place..

York - from the Anglo-Saxon name Eoforwic. (eofor = boar/chieftain and wic = camp). The Romans called it Eboracum, and Richard III (the last of the Yorkist Kings) made the boar his badge.

• Like 1

Here's the origin of the state of Maryland, named for the wife of Charles I.

http://en.wikipedia....aryland#History

I have a comprehensive list of all the States, and their name derivations etc in my files. Please feel free to ask. (Small fee payable!) Heh heh!!

One good thing about the monarchy is their neutrality. They represent the Country and it's people. They are not political. They can visit injured servicemen and women in hospital, they can become patrons of charities etc etc etc, not for their own personal gain but to support others and make the public aware of good causes that otherwise would get little publicity. They don't do it for a photoshoot, to get space on the TV or in the papers for themselves, they do it as representatives of the British public who they serve. There maybe are too many minor royals who are not really worth having but what would be the alternative, President Tony Blair and wife waving from Buckingham Palace balcony and probably costing us a damn sight more than people who really love their Country and their people? I know who I prefer!

• Like 2

York - from the Anglo-Saxon name Eoforwic. (eofor = boar/chieftain and wic = camp). The Romans called it Eboracum, and Richard III (the last of the Yorkist Kings) made the boar his badge.

Great info Eald..everytime i go to York i buy a roman coin that has been dug up from around the area from the same guy that has been doing it for years......

Edited by BrianPotter
  • Like 1

I have a comprehensive list of all the States, and their name derivations etc in my files. Please feel free to ask. (Small fee payable!) Heh heh!!

Alright ealdwita. Here is a link for Virginia. I remember being taught that the name came from Queen Elizabeth I, the Virgin Queen. Wiki says it may also have come from a native American word. I think wiki is wrong. What say you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia#Colony

Hey pal,dont insult me, I am a Mackem if you arent to uneducated to know what that means. And dont insult the Scots or you may end up getting a Glasgie sandwich.C .U. Jimmie..

Insult yee?

Ah wez funnin wi yee. Divvent bubble leik a wee lass it wez a joke

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Insult yee?

Ah wez funnin wi yee. Divvent bubble leik a wee lass it wez a joke

Ok so is this "gantappylappydoonthelonnenanhadawayandivventtarkumptybackedlike."

Ok so is this "gantappylappydoonthelonnenanhadawayandivventtarkumptybackedlike."

Rab C Nesbitt talk lol

What you saying?

Rab C Nesbitt talk lol

What you saying?

Well I guess you will just have to learn MACKEM to understand bonny lad

Hiya,Taun, Ive just thought of the way to become better friends ! How about if you let us put an image of the Queens Head on your postage stamps,we shall allow you to put an image of your Presidents Head on All the McDonalds takeaway bags...Is that a fair deal ??? (No offence to your President of course).

Tell ya what... Send us your Queen... we'll be happy to send you our President... Plus we'll give you a first round draft choice of any major sport you wish, and a really cool collection of spoons...

And truthfully, it seems that most Americans that can't live without tabloid journalism, are more fixated on the younger members of the Royal family... You don't really see much here about her Majesty...