Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What If We Eradicated All Infectious Disease?

Still Waters

Some of your "genetic management" ideals are scaring the beejesus out of me right now folks - just saying :unsure:

Some of your "genetic management" ideals are scaring the beejesus out of me right now folks - just saying :unsure:

Not much different than how we manage other spices of animals today, to not take steps to manage our own species is absolutely irresponsible with a guaranteed catastrophic outcome.

Not much different than how we manage other spices of animals today, to not take steps to manage our own species is absolutely irresponsible with a guaranteed catastrophic outcome.

Yes but disregarding a person's right to determining whether or not they wish to be a parent is going a little too far - diversity is also a part of the evolutionary process, what may be considered a genetic weakness could be the first tweek that leads to an alternate evolutionary path that proves beneficial in particular environmental circumstances, claiming we know what "perfection" is equates to having a "God" mentality.

Ok ,you jump first ..

It isn't about killing those who are alive, but stemming the number of new lives being conceived.

Rather than jump, just don't have kids.

We would have to have extremely strict world wide birth licensing where there would be screening processes to determine whom are the fittest parents (plural) out of them there would have to be a lottery to award licenses in order have a child so that the Human population can be shrunk and maintained at a sustainable level.

I'm not sure we have to go that far, in the US one of the issues is that the more kids you have the more tax breaks you get. If that were reversed, the fewer kids you have the more tax breaks you get, childless people would pay the least taxes. I think that the financial repercussions alone would coax a lot of people into abstaining... in a much more gentle manner :)

Of course, to be fair the tax changes could only apply to births occuring at least a year after the tax change was written into law.

Does anyone remember the Title of the Star Trek TOS where Kirk was kidnapped to a duplicate of the Enterprise in order to give a race a disease they had no cure for? Their world had become so crowded that they wanted/needed diseases to cause death? We'd eventually get that way here if diseases were erradicated.

I think the super rich would have access to this kind of technology, the rest of us, well...more than likely not.

Yes but disregarding a person's right to determining whether or not they wish to be a parent is going a little too far - diversity is also a part of the evolutionary process, what may be considered a genetic weakness could be the first tweek that leads to an alternate evolutionary path that proves beneficial in particular environmental circumstances, claiming we know what "perfection" is equates to having a "God" mentality.

Yes strict measures would have to be put into place to keep any kind of "God" Mentality to ever come to fruition, but the benefits that could come from controlling the Human population would be enormous for not only mankind but all life on this planet.

Imagine if we only let the most responsible, educated, healthiest, and financially well off married couples have children, imagine if if we could control populations so that each country has a population it could sustain.

No more famine, no more need so spend billions on foreign aide, illegal immigration all but gone, child abuse all but eradicated, crime at an all time low, no over crowded schools, medical costs cut way down, unemployment almost nil, welfare down to almost nothing, taxes cut way down because most everyone would be contributing and the money would simply not be needed.

No more ghettos, no more gangs, no more beggars on the street, pollution cut way down, no more encroaching on wildlife habitats because of little need for new housing, farm land, cattle ranches etc...etc...etc...

Controlling the Human population has its risks but also has its rewards, however it is which out weighs the other that is indeed the biggest question.

Edited by Socio

Yes strict measures would have to be put into place to keep any kind of "God" Mentality to ever come to fruition, but the benefits that could come from controlling the Human population would be enormous for not only mankind but all life on this planet.

Imagine if we only let the most responsible, educated, healthiest, and financially well off married couples have children, imagine if if we could control populations so that each country has a population it could sustain.

No more famine, no more need so spend billions on foreign aide, illegal immigration all but gone, child abuse all but eradicated, crime at an all time low, no over crowded schools, medical costs cut way down, unemployment almost nil, welfare down to almost nothing, taxes cut way down because most everyone would be contributing and the money would simply not be needed.

No more ghettos, no more gangs, no more beggars on the street, pollution cut way down, no more encroaching on wildlife habitats because of little need for new housing, farm land, cattle ranches etc...etc...etc...

Controlling the Human population has its risks but also has its rewards, however it is which out weighs the other that is indeed the biggest question.

I am absolutely certain that you do not comprehend what you are suggesting here. Controlling people is what Dictators and Totalitarian Regimes do. Yes, let's just eradicate all these "undesirables"? I agree, the world would be Utopic without homelessness, starvation, overpopulation and all those things but the foundation of Utopia cannot be built on the suppression and suffering of those members of humanity least capable of defending themselves.

There is something very deep and fundamental I think you need to see about why what you are saying is not the answer. I'll give you a hint, brush up on History.

Sorry I don't mean to be harsh and I understand you have presented an unemotional and clinical solution to the problem. I assure you though, that the cost to humanity of what you propose will far exceed any imagined gains. To embark on what you propose will kill human empathy and consciousness to the point where what is left is a clinical machine capable of making just about any decision regardless of cost in lives "for the greater good", your Utopia is morally bankrupt at it's foundation. Heck, why not just replace humanity with androids - trust me the difference would be barely noticeable in your perfect world.

I am absolutely certain that you do not comprehend what you are suggesting here. Controlling people is what Dictators and Totalitarian Regimes do. Yes, let's just eradicate all these "undesirables"? I agree, the world would be Utopic without homelessness, starvation, overpopulation and all those things but the foundation of Utopia cannot be built on the suppression and suffering of those members of humanity least capable of defending themselves.

There is something very deep and fundamental I think you need to see about why what you are saying is not the answer. I'll give you a hint, brush up on History.

Sorry I don't mean to be harsh and I understand you have presented an unemotional and clinical solution to the problem. I assure you though, that the cost to humanity of what you propose will far exceed any imagined gains. To embark on what you propose will kill human empathy and consciousness to the point where what is left is a clinical machine capable of making just about any decision regardless of cost in lives "for the greater good", your Utopia is morally bankrupt at it's foundation. Heck, why not just replace humanity with androids - trust me the difference would be barely noticeable in your perfect world.

What is more humane thing to do?

1, Control the population by having prospective parents go though something similar to an adoption process to try to ensure the children of the future have the best chance possible in this world and maintain a sustainable population levels?

Or

2, Keep going down the path we are on, where being born it is a crap shoot, where they are born into poverty, where parents can't even feed themselves let alone their off spring, where they are born addicted to drugs, where become victims of abuse, where they are just extra welfare benefits, where they become detriments to society due to parental neglect, where parents have to up root them and drag them in to other countries illegally because they were irresponsible enough to have children with no way to care for them, where countless numbers have little chance to even grow up?

I am afraid to save humanity from humanity, having children needs to go from a human right to an earned privilege I just don't see any other way around it.