Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Could a Zombie outbreak happen in real life?

Still Waters

Could zombies actually exist? What would it take for human corpses to rise up and hunt the living? We often think zombies are scientifically impossible — but actually, they're just very implausible. Here's one way The Walking Dead could happen in real life.

To start our zombie thought experiment, we need to make some basic assumptions. First, we're ignoring all supernatural zombie origins. We're also going to set aside space radiation, mysterious comets, or Russian satellites. Our focus will be narrowed to biological origins –- a zombie contagion. Of course, there are many different zombie scenarios in books and film, and no one theory is going to cover all of them perfectly.

http://digg.com/news...en_in_real_life

One word: Annoying.

I mean seriously, how many articles are written every month about a possible Zombie outbreak !? Seems to me like there's a article or thread written about this every day.

It won't happen folks, Zombie outbreaks are nothing more than fiction and something you'll see only in books or movies.

And I still can't believe that some people are actually wishing for something like that to come true. :rolleyes:

• Like 8

Zombies, as in reanimated corpses? Nah. But I do believe that a variation of 28 Days Later's "RAGE" virus is quite possible. :)

• Like 5

I mean seriously, how many articles are written every month about a possible Zombie outbreak !? Seems to me like there's a article or thread written about this every day.

It won't happen folks, Zombie outbreaks are nothing more than fiction and something you'll see only in books or movies.

And I still can't believe that some people are actually wishing for something like that to come true. :rolleyes:

It's because of the "cannibal attacks" that are happening everywhere. -_-;

I can't believe people would want that! I. . .I just can't. >.<

I was looking through a topic and some guy hopes the end of the world would bring zombies. I mean what the heck?

I personally can't deal with zombies. Too scary.

• Like 2

It really has to stop. I used to be a huge zombie fan, but the very word bugs me now. Sad.

• Like 1

I don't think we will have to worry about zombies anytime soon. They are thinking bath salts caused the guy in Florida to chew that mans face off. I suppose there could be some sort of disease that could make people act nuts, rabies, schizophrenia.

• Like 1

Zombies and Vampires are the fiction created by various authors in order to write books and get money,instead of going out to work in some mundane crap job. Pure fiction which cannot happen in real life,I think its hilarious that some poor misguided folk seem to think its all true and could happen, and feel sorry for them.

• Like 5

I've stood in a supposedly "haunted" cemetary at midnight,with my mate,waiting for something to happen, come out you Zombies and Vampires here we are , we shouted....what happened was ....we got bloody cold....( I use to be a werewolf but I'm not one nowwwoooooo.) hee hee....

• Like 1

Still looking forward to the new zombie flick, World War Z.

• Like 3

Gosh there's some grumpy folks in this thread.

Maybe next time Still Waters should post a thread about "like buttons"

A cookie for who ever finds this

Edited by Daughter of the Nine Moons
  • Like 6

That's a an interesting take on zombies. Fungus, huh?

Still looking forward to the new zombie flick, World War Z.

Looks like you might be waiting quite awhile. It's been delayed by 6 months for seven weeks of "extensive re-shoots". Things aren't looking good for the film, though I hope they can pull it off.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1

That's a an interesting take on zombies. Fungus, huh?

Looks like you might be waiting quite awhile. It's been delayed by 6 months for seven weeks of "extensive re-shoots". Things aren't looking good for the film, though I hope they can pull it off.

If it's half as good as the book, I'm sure it will be better then the bulk of zombie flicks out there. Now, if the world were to end, I say bring on the zombies! wth not? We are going to die!!

Edited by Mentalcase
  • Like 1

Gosh there's some grumpy folks in this thread.

Maybe next time Still Waters should post a thread about "like buttons"

A cookie for who ever finds this

very grumpy indeed D:

I've stood in a supposedly "haunted" cemetary at midnight,with my mate,waiting for something to happen, come out you Zombies and Vampires here we are , we shouted....what happened was ....we got bloody cold....( I use to be a werewolf but I'm not one nowwwoooooo.) hee hee....

You obviously went home too early. The Zombies and Vampires come out when they're ready, not when you call them. Can't believe you wouldn't know that.

Why are Zombies always seen as being nasty ? If I was a Zombie I dont think that I would wander aound trying to bite someones head off. Yuk , or you could catch something horrible like Aids, Aha new theme for a movie perhaps ? ha ha

I am not being grumpy when I say there is no such thing as zombies and there never will be. I am just being realistic. (See...I am even smiling) :) :) :)

• Like 3

There is so much deliberate misinformation on the Zombie phenomenon, for starters they don't eat brains, they lack them. The government has known this for years and surrepticiously sequestered them in huge concrete buildings under the guise of "public service".

• Like 3

I dont like brains anyhow.....could i be a vegetarian zombie and just chase carrots?

• Like 2

Come on, dude wouldn't have to go to work at Chic-Filet anymore, he can put down his game controller, crawl out of Mom's basement, and really use those samurai swords, nunchuks, and throwing stars that he's been collecting since he was 13. The high school cheerleader next door might also be a survivor and in need of his protection.

• Like 5

Come on, dude wouldn't have to go to work at Chic-Filet anymore, he can put down his game controller, crawl out of Mom's basement, and really use those samurai swords, nunchuks, and throwing stars that he's been collecting since he was 13. The high school cheerleader next door might also be a survivor and in need of his protection.

Brilliant ! :tu:

There is so much deliberate misinformation on the Zombie phenomenon, for starters they don't eat brains, they lack them. The government has known this for years and surrepticiously sequestered them in huge concrete buildings under the guise of "public service".

Don't bother libstak, these guys need actually evidence! Figures!

surreptitious is one of my fav words btw!

• Like 1

You obviously went home too early. The Zombies and Vampires come out when they're ready, not when you call them. Can't believe you wouldn't know that.

Hey would you bother coming out when the temp was minus 10, too cold for Zoms and Vamps but we had a few jars of Guinness and being asked to leave quietly from the pub ,decided it would be a good idea at the time .

Zombies, as in reanimated corpses? Nah. But I do believe that a variation of 28 Days Later's "RAGE" virus is quite possible. :)

This is actually the more creepier one to consider. As you said, "reanimated corpses? Nah", but an enhanced, galloping, severe version of rabies could quickly get out of hand. This is not inconceivable.