Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it time to return to the Moon?

Waspie_Dwarf

Is it time to return to the Moon?

Humans haven’t set foot on the Moon -- or any other world outside of our own, for that matter -- since Cernan and Schmitt departed the lunar surface on December 14, 1972. That will make 40 years on that date this coming December. And despite dreams of moon bases and lunar colonies, there hasn’t even been a controlled landing there since the Soviet Luna 24 sample return mission in 1976 (not including impacted probes.) So in light of the challenges and costs of such an endeavor, is there any real value in a return to the Moon?

Some scientists are saying yes.

Researchers from the UK, Germany and The Netherlands have submitted a paper to the journal Planetary and Space Science outlining the scientific importance of future lunar surface missions. Led by Ian A. Crawford from London’s Birkbeck College, the paper especially focuses on the value of the Moon in the study of our own planet and its formation, the development of the Earth-Moon system as well as other rocky worlds and even its potential contribution in life science and medicinal research.

Even though some research on the lunar surface may be able to be performed by robotic missions, Crawford et al. ultimately believe that “addressing them satisfactorily will require an end to the 40-year hiatus of lunar surface exploration.”

arrow3.gifRead more...

I really don't see the point in going back to the moon.

Now Mars on the other hand... :)

Maybe humans could build a prison on the moon.

If we're ever going to figure out how to live off of the earth there is no better place to figure out how than the moon.

Rlyeh, how much money do you think it would cost to send a prisoner to the moon?

Yeah, I think a moon base is a natural extension to space colonization.

Wish I were young enough to witness, or perhaps even participate in, some of the exciting space ventures of the future.

As far as some Moon based "penal" colony goes, that would be very expensive as said In the previous post.

One could, however, put prisons on Antartica or deep underneath the middle of our ocean's, but that's a whole other topic of course.

Edited by pallidin

Rlyeh, how much money do you think it would cost to send a prisoner to the moon?

Well more if they are expected to survive the trip. A dump, or mass grave would have been a better term.

This topic has nothing to do with penal systems. Please stay on topic. Thank you.

I've never understood why the space exploration isn't as important as it should be anymore. We keep hearing of things like Global warming, solar flares, meteors, other natural disasters that could wipe out the human race in the blink of an eye nd population growth which is a big concern. Surely we owe it to the human race as a whole to work out how to populate the stars. Shift loads of people and give the poor earth a bit of a break as well form being crammed with humans.

Of course this won't happen because of the greed int he world and the fact the goverments aren't evolved enough yet to realise world peace is the key to the human races survival and advancement.

• Like 1

I think there are loads of scientific reasons why more research is necessary with our moon. However whether it should be manned missions or just robotic is another matter. The shear cost of manned flight is probably unobtainable in the present economic climate. I personally think that most of the experiments could be carried out robotically at a fraction of the cost.

I just hope that, when we do go back to the moon, we don't mine it's resources to the point of altering it's tidal influence here on Earth.

Even still, I am all for going back to the moon, setting up a base, and learning from that exposure for further manned expeditions elsewhere.

I think that it would be awesome if we wnt back to the moon,... but, I was kinda hoping for Mars.

To costly to tax payers and a waste of our money. Man can't even solve the problems in this world, here on earth...and, we want to reach for the moon.

Man has managed to destroy our own natural resources here on our planet...so why should they go to the moon to continue this destruction. This research is all done at the expense of the people and will probably benefit those few elite who hold power over the rest. Just my take on it.

• Like 1

Haven't you been listening to Richard hoagland? We've been there living in glass structures (totally safe on a lunar surface right) and playing with stargates and jumpgates since the sixties. Hoagland is a very reputable man who used to work for NASA.

Ahem.

I try very hard not to listen to Richard Hoagland. I have an allergy to male bovine waste products.

But already proved fourty years so theres nothing but moon there if there gonna spend money for all that space bases and stuff then they should do it on a planet one closer to us thats stable and stuff I mean it would make more since to me that the moons jus right by us why be father out where your more likely to see stuff in space if they set up telescope

I think they should save the money by going back to S Kubrick's moonscape they built in the southwest & just take more pics there! It's highly dubious, for many reasons, that they've even been on the moon, judgeing by NASA photo phenomena itself.

• Like 2

I like how we never went back to the moon in 40 years. That's just retarded, either we are being lied to and there is top secret projects going on up there. Or there is something beyond us up there that we are staying away from. Your pick? you can only narrow this subject down so far, until finally the only thing you can explain is the little green men.

• Like 2

Some people here have very good points, i know they might sound scifi but what isn't nowdays...inhuman sceptics will say to you " We have no reason to go back up there, there is nothing there.... etc ". Believers will go " There are rare minerals on the surface to be studied, US has military activity going on ( wouldn't suprise me ), abit more extreme; there is some unexplained phenomena going on.... So basically i would say that if 60 years ago they ****had technology**** to go to the moon where is evolution from that technology now??? There are 0 advances in space transport technologies from NASA side, 0 advances on space habitats, 0 advances in all except robotics... Yes we will probably be safe from a comet if we have loads of robots flying around...

My money is set on everyone except US, you steal, you have technological advantage, you are only one on this planet to have such exotic technology at the time, yet you fail hard.. Everything is just a show for NASA nothing serious.. SpaceX is doing better than them...so is everyone else on this planet..

But if they took the advantage they had.... I would be probably writting about how nice is the weather on Saturn or Venus :D

Short version; This is fishy indeed! xD

• Like 1

I like how we never went back to the moon in 40 years. That's just retarded, either we are being lied to and there is top secret projects going on up there. Or there is something beyond us up there that we are staying away from. Your pick? you can only narrow this subject down so far, until finally the only thing you can explain is the little green men.

This is one of the most illogical and uninformed posts I have read on any subject In a very long time.

You claim there are only two possibilities, but offer not a scrap of evidence for either. You will happily believe two diametrically opposed, mutually exclusive conspiracy theories, yet totally avoid the most obvious choice, and the one which is actually supported by vast amounts of evidence.

The reason we haven't been back is extremely simple and obvious. There are even posts in this very topic raising those points and using them as an argument against going back now.

The reality is rather mundane, there has been no political will to pay for a return to the moon. It would be an expensive project. The shuttle used up vast amounts of NASA's budget for nearly 4 decades. It is no coincidence that with the grounding of the shuttle, and the freeing up of large percentage of NASA's budget, that eyes are once again turning towards the moon.

There are no little green men involved, no cover up, just plain old politics.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 3

Yeah dude i'm very open... (HA! thats what she said!!!) But it still would be crazy to say that we have only been on the moon once, the military and whatever hidden underground bases have technology that is at least 40 years more advanced than what they give us puny citizens today. Dude to them it's like the year 2052, they can do what the hell ever they want, they can probably go to mars. They probably don't even care about money. All it is paper to them but to citizens it's everything. look at gas prices these days... Holy **** thats all you need to know. Money is not a problem there is like billions of us paying all kinds of BS and only a handful of them... But there may be a possibility that NASA is broke but that's because nobody cares about NASA, All of our money is probably going into more important top secret projects that NASA itself don't even know about. The US is in way too much debt. there is so much **** going on that the world don't know about that we probably should know about, the truth is indeed hard to believe, but i chose truth, we are not alone my friend, all it takes is a glance at the stars and hopefully you'll know that we are not alone.

• Like 1

It is sad to think that we never made it.

It would be sad more so if the internal issues of this world stopped us from going again.

A steady advance and contuniation of human spaceflight is necessary for humans to be able to go farther and do more in space (in short, if humanity is to have ANY destiny beyond this one world). A return to the moon would be an important step in that direction.

A steady advance and contuniation of human spaceflight is necessary for humans to be able to go farther and do more in space (in short, if humanity is to have ANY destiny beyond this one world). A return to the moon would be an important step in that direction.

*wishes there was a 'definitely-don't-like-this' button*

Yeah dude i'm very open... (HA! thats what she said!!!) But it still would be crazy to say that we have only been on the moon once,

i agree with you !!! Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
Reduced size of quote. There is no need to quote the whole of a ling post, especially for a single sentence reply.