Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Swifts fly 3,000 miles in five days

Still Waters

A Common Swift (Apus apus) has been recorded covering more than 3,100 miles in just five days during its migration from Africa back to the UK.

The bird was able to maintain an average speed of around 25mph for the non-stop journey across the Sahara desert and up through Europe to its nest site at a nature reserve in Fowlmere, in Cambridgeshire.

The creature, which is around six inches in length, with a wingspan of around 15 inches, is able to eat and sleep on the wing. Before setting off, it spent around ten days in Liberia, west Africa, where it fattened up for its journey by hoovering up flying termites.

The bird, named A322, was tracked as part of a project run by the British Trust for Ornithology, which is investigating reasons behind the species’ decline.

http://www.telegraph...-in-5-days.html

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThickasaBrick

• Emin

• Still Waters

• lightly

Is that an African or European Swift? Also, how far can they travel if two are using a strand of creeper under the dorsal guiding feathers to carry a coconut?

How I wish I had wings and could fly.

Wait a minute, I drink. Nevermind.

I noticed they arrived in the area I live now few days ago along with some swallows (they have a white belly that how I make the difference). I tried to take pictures of them but no way they are really to fast for me.

Awesome! I love it when nature accomplishes the remarkable.

Interesting actually i was researching swifts some days ago. I'm not sure if those are the birds that i constantly see during dusk but they do have that arced wing appearance. Well it wouldn't surprise me if they flew that much because i've observed them fly and they sure fly like crazy