Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists predict time will stop completely

Still Waters

Referring to the video by Prof. Ockels:

Good old scientists, making stuff up again trying to validate their "jobs" :yes:

I've read just as good hypotheses here by UM members. I was waiting for him to play the piano or ride the bike around the stage as examples proving what he was saying.

We do use our own measurement of time, but what we are measuring is not Time, but the motion of hands on a clock, or pre-determined intervals. I think our subjective experience of time is different than what the dimension of Time actually is. We experience Time's effects, but not The Thing Itself.

I think this fact is the bases of our poor understanding of Time, and the reasons we come up with so many hypotheses about it.

• Like 1

A phenomena is a fact that is observed to exist or happen

no one observing no phenomena only the living experience time

it a matter of every living things perspective

So someone is observing a phenomena.

Well it's about time.

• Like 1

Well it's about time.

Badoom-tiss!

geesh how stupid. time is very real and does not need to be observed in order to exist. if this were true then the universe would not exist at all because it is not being observed.

its about relativity, therefore we will not experience it as a slow down, time will continue to run just as it always has....to us at least. to an outside observer it will appear to have stopped. just like the event horizon, our perception of time will not cease to happen, we will continue to function normally, its the outside observer that sees us stretch into eternity. if the universe slows down and stops this means that it has stopped moving in a given direction,

so so what if it stops.

hasnt anyone ever read and calculated Einstein's theory of general and special relativity?

• Like 1

hasnt anyone ever read and calculated Einstein's theory of general and special relativity?

Lots of people... but not many who also frequent this website.

Ahh well, thanks to the vast majority of semi-scientifically-literate people completely misinterpreting the meaning of the ``Schrodinger's Cat'' thought-experiment (and quantum mechanics in general), I suspect we will be subject to a never-ending stream of poorly conceived personal concepts of what space and time really are.

• Like 1

Ahh well, thanks to the vast majority of semi-scientifically-literate people completely misinterpreting the meaning of the ``Schrodinger's Cat'' thought-experiment (and quantum mechanics in general), I suspect we will be subject to a never-ending stream of poorly conceived personal concepts of what space and time really are.

lol well said.

Who cares if time stops?

Its not like it doest stop about once every 18 months.

I just pull the clock off the wall, replace the battery and TADA! Time starts again.

No harm, no foul.

• Like 1

A broken clock is still right twice a day.

Along with pbarosso I had to quote this, too. Well said, Sepulchrave. :) I fall into this category myself and I admit it. It must be frustrating for Sepulchrave to read lots of this stuff we all pontificate on here.

I think we all should add a disclaimer when we insist on our own interpretations of how the universe behaves.

Something like: "Disclaimer! I am a semi-scientifically-literate person who usually completely misinterprets the meaning of quantum mechanics, The Theory of Relativity and all other scientific theories, have little knowledge of the advanced mathematics which properly describe these theories, and am presenting the following poorly conceived personal hypothesis off the top of my head, realizing it is a complete fabrication of my own and bears no resemblance to how the universe in fact actually operates."

I'm willing to include this Disclaimer, who's with me?

• Like 2

Something like: "Disclaimer! I am a semi-scientifically-literate person who usually completely misinterprets the meaning of quantum mechanics, The Theory of Relativity and all other scientific theories, have little knowledge of the advanced mathematics which properly describe these theories, and am presenting the following poorly conceived personal hypothesis off the top of my head, realizing it is a complete fabrication of my own and bears no resemblance to how the universe in fact actually operates."

I'm willing to include this Disclaimer, who's with me?

Hmmm ... I may have to modify it to be accurate - more like:

"Disclaimer! I am a totally scientifically-illiterate person who usually completely misinterprets the meaning of quantum mechanics, The Theory of Relativity and all other scientific theories, have no knowledge of the advanced mathematics which properly describe these theories, and am presenting the following poorly conceived personal hypothesis off the top of my head, realizing it is a complete fabrication of my own and bears no resemblance to how the universe in fact actually operates."

In fact, I may add it to my profile. :yes:

Edited by Kludge808

Someone I talked with some time ago in the hazy past (which, in my case, can be as little as 10 minutes ago) told me that time was necessary to keep events from bumping into each other. His belief was that all events were concurrent and only the concept of time gave some order to them. Another claimed that time was a dimension along which all events already existed and we were riding a knife edge along that dimension. Both of these folks believed very much in time travel and all the implications thereof.

What do I believe? I see it as a concept represented by various timepieces that's useful in physics and anything dependent on it (which, on reflection, doesn't really leave much out) but I also believe that's only a local ordinance and not a universal truth. It's a low peasant view but it works and kept a hobby of mine (watch repair) going for quite a while. :D

well, as far as time travel, one method i know will work for sure...to see the past. BUT, you would have to catch up with and over take light that has bounced off our planet and look at through a telescope...basically fold space one million lightyears and then somehow know where earth is and look at it with the GOD of all telescopes and you could in theory see what was happening 1 million years ago.

and i think time would exist no matter what, energy=matter/mass=spacetime matrix. the faster something goes the more energy/mass it has. if earth is travelling at 90% the speed of light, it would have much more energy/mass than an earth travelling at 1% the speed of light. so this means that time on earth is much slower than the slower earth planet. lets say there is a population on the fast earth and slow earth....as long as fast earth is travelling at 90% the speed of light the people would live much much longer than the slow earth people. but as soon as the fast earth people jump off their blazing 90% of C (speed of light) and land on earth, they would still live as long as everybody else on slow earth just because they now have less energy/mass

We do use our own measurement of time, but what we are measuring is not Time, but the motion of hands on a clock, or pre-determined intervals. I think our subjective experience of time is different than what the dimension of Time actually is. We experience Time's effects, but not The Thing Itself.

Isn't the idea that time does not exist if the human mind does not experience it, the same as saying that the 3 physical dimensions... length, depth and width, don't exist unless you are specifically looking at them?

But as fly by asteroids have prooven, as well as fossils, time has passed constantly and stuff exists unknown out in the XYZ of the universe completely and totally without US having to have anything to do with it.

and if time didnt exist unless there are observers, then the universe began when we became aware of it being there. that would be crazy. more importantly for religious people, it may offer an explanation for the story of creation.....since God was observing, the universe could be created and thus time.....but still billions of years ago....

Edited by pbarosso

this

chdm_big.jpg

this is a current model of the nearby universe. you know how gravity bends light? Whos to say that the light we are seeing from any given direction actually originated there? i mean these large galaxies and super massive blackholes, galaxy clusters, etc...are all bending light around them. so is it not safe to assume that light is zig-zagging all over and possibly around the universe? wouldnt make the exact locations of things hard to figure out? possibly, my theory anyway, is that much of what we see is a reflection or repetition of what is really out there because the light is being bent all over the place and getting to us in a longer route than the direct way.

for example,,,, is it possible that we are seeing the frontside and backside of an object...say a galaxy because the light from the backside has been warped around by gravitational bodies and now we see the front side (lets say directly) in one sector of the sky, and then we might see the backside or sideview in another sector of the sky? the thing is, is that the backside image would be older than the frontside and we may not recognize it because it is billions of years older. so while we would say, one galaxy is full of blue-hot star producing regions, another same view of that galaxy but from a different angle, may yield an older reddish galaxy?

Edited by pbarosso

and if time didnt exist unless there are observers, then the universe began when we became aware of it being there. that would be crazy. more importantly for religious people, it may offer an explanation for the story of creation.....since God was observing, the universe could be created and thus time.....but still billions of years ago....

Non-duality

We bring the universe into existance

Non-duality

We bring the universe into existance

Science has shown the total opposite.

You should try to think non-linearly. Carry your assertion a bit farther and you will realize that this "God" you Humans insist upon imagining could not exist until it was observed, thus requiring a "super-god". And that super-god would then require a "super-super-god" and on and on infinitely.

Step off the conformist thought-path that human society has forced you to follow.

Explore, test.

Observe, test.

Imagine, test.

Create, test.

Question, test.

Most importantly, attempt to falsify (test) everything you find along the way. Discard what you manage to falsify. Truth will be among the rest.

Beware the superstitious, the uninquisitive, the frightened, the conformist, the self-appointed authority.

You will learn.

You will grow.

You will discover things stranger than you can imagine.

Nothing more than convoluted reasoning answered with "God did it"

you know how gravity bends light? Whos to say that the light we are seeing from any given direction actually originated there? i mean these large galaxies and super massive blackholes, galaxy clusters, etc...are all bending light around them. so is it not safe to assume that light is zig-zagging all over and possibly around the universe? wouldnt make the exact locations of things hard to figure out? possibly, my theory anyway, is that much of what we see is a reflection or repetition of what is really out there because the light is being bent all over the place and getting to us in a longer route than the direct way.

That is unlikely. We can tell when gravitational lensing is occurring because of distortions in the appearance of a galaxy (or whatever) - usually the galaxy appears to be smeared in an arc.

We also know how large a mass must be in order to achieve a given quantity of lensing.

For light to ``ricochet'' wildly around the Universe, but coherently enough so that galaxies still appear to have a normal shape, I think we would need very large concentrations of mass, and these would have to be distributed in a decidedly unnatural fashion.

You should try to think non-linearly. Carry your assertion a bit farther and you will realize that this "God" you Humans insist upon imagining could not exist until it was observed, thus requiring a "super-god". And that super-god would then require a "super-super-god" and on and on infinitely.

lol what do you mean "you" humans. where are you from? talk like this is full of ego and condescension.

secondly, i offer the explanation for those who view the universe as only being because it is observed i do not necessarily view it this way.... . before there were any humans (or any other sentient beings) to witness the beginning of the universe, maybe there was this entity people call God. this could explain things for people who view reality as being real because it is observed.

thirdly, i believe in God, but do not assume that i understand how he works nor should you or anyone for that matter.

Nothing more than convoluted reasoning answered with "God did it"

not for some, whether you look down on them or not. we do not have the truth, only theory.

• Like 1

Time will never end-impossible-just like getting to the end of the universe-how would you know it-would you fall off-into what--is there a wall there-something has to be on the other side

• Like 1