Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Preparing for Ramadan: Preparing the Body

Yamato

Here is a video of a young Muslim woman's mindfulness of the holy month of Ramadan and her thoughts on better preparing for it ahead of time. For whatever discussion this may bring, I hope it provides a more personal insight into a very special time of the year in Islam.

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ramadan begins this Friday, July 20, 2012.

My only advice I can add to these videos on how to better prepare for Ramadan is to start eating a lot of fat right now in the several days left before it starts!

staying without food is not really the problem

the only problem lies with staying without cigs or water on such cruel weathers

I know that pregnant women are exempt fro fasting during ramadan, but what about others lik diabetics who need a regualr diet in order to stay healthy?

I know that pregnant women are exempt fro fasting during ramadan, but what about others lik diabetics who need a regualr diet in order to stay healthy?

You are exempt if fasting will cause you bodily harm as to cause bodily harm is a sin. You are allowed to pay for the meal of a person who is fasting in this case.

• Like 1

Ramadan Kareem Knight & Uncle Pockets!

I sympathize with you Knight, no cigs, no water when the temperature in Cairo, I'm told, is 41° and 52° in Kuwait ! I hope the weather is more clement in Syria.

Yamato, iftar meals are traditionally occasions for family reunions with much feasting, imagine Christmas dinner x 30. Many people end up gaining weight! Eating fat and gaining weight before Ramadan even starts would only make fasting and abstaining from drinking even harder, I guess. If it was me fasting under such hot weather, I think I would wilt and sleep during the whole day, and rise only at sunset.

Anyway, Ramadan Kareem to all UMers who celebrate it.

• Like 1

staying without food is not really the problem

the only problem lies with staying without cigs or water on such cruel weathers

You've been informed by the oracle eat fat, this will be this woman's first Ramadan take note you'll learn a lot, next year she's doing the passover.

first couple days are always the hardest, you suffer a headache, but then it become normal

Allah Akram.

People over do it with food. The etiquette is to fill up one-third with food, one-third with drink, and the last third with air.

• Like 1

Ramadan Kareem Knight & Uncle Pockets!

I sympathize with you Knight, no cigs, no water when the temperature in Cairo, I'm told, is 41° and 52° in Kuwait ! I hope the weather is more clement in Syria.

Yamato, iftar meals are traditionally occasions for family reunions with much feasting, imagine Christmas dinner x 30. Many people end up gaining weight! Eating fat and gaining weight before Ramadan even starts would only make fasting and abstaining from drinking even harder, I guess. If it was me fasting under such hot weather, I think I would wilt and sleep during the whole day, and rise only at sunset.

Anyway, Ramadan Kareem to all UMers who celebrate it.

same to you and to every one meryt let's hope am able to fast this ramadan :D

You've been informed by the oracle eat fat, this will be this woman's first Ramadan take note you'll learn a lot, next year she's doing the passover.

lol i've had many ramadans i don't do any prepearing

but other people might have fasting is good for health is reduce the toxics from the body

same to you and to every one meryt let's hope am able to fast this ramadan :D

The Coptic church has a similar absolute fast, but I could not follow it for more than a day! Courage Knight, hope you can fast all Ramadan :)

• Like 1

The Coptic church has a similar absolute fast, but I could not follow it for more than a day! Courage Knight, hope you can fast all Ramadan :)

yeah i know some christians have simliar fasting i only skipped two ramadans as guy over 14 i think

one was in the army :D thanks

• Like 1

yeah i know some christians have simliar fasting i only skipped two ramadans as guy over 14 i think

one was in the army :D thanks

My mother saw this video and got almost competitive with it. A lot of "I do that too!"s were uttered.

• Like 1

My mother saw this video and got almost competitive with it. A lot of "I do that too!"s were uttered.

hahahah yeah there was times i thought christians only fast on certain food

but looks like not all of them does

• Like 1

You watched at least half of the first video! I'm impressed.

To pay a bit of advocacy to my comment, the idea is to eat an excess of calories that will turn into fat and give long range fuel stores. It works for bears, it'll work for humans too. Fasting leads to weight loss but fasting also causes a huge reduction in metabolism as the body literally goes into starvation mode. There are health concerns particularly in skinny people who can't afford to lose any more weight. On a related note, women frequently die from eating disorders. I've seen too many RIPs from too many young women who join such support groups. While eating disorders are a sign of mental weakness and Ramadan a sign of mental strength, the physical effects on the body are the same. The author of the video has a very positive mindset going into her first Ramadan and that can't hurt. Seeing it as a cleanse, and taking preparatory steps ahead of time can't hurt, especially when one has never fasted to this extreme before. KoS pointed out a much more immediate danger to one's health, dehydration in extreme heat. If you're a construction worker during Ramadan at this time of the year and you can't drink water, I would consider this a very real risk of death if you can't adjust your work schedule or eliminate it altogether. This isn't conducive to the Protestant work ethic of western society or atheists who worship the almighty dollar and not the almighty God, but I can see many work-related concessions being made for Ramadan-practicing Muslims in the Middle East in light of this holiday.

Edited by Yamato
  • Like 1

There is good in preparing for Ramadan as you will get more out of it. Some fast and some make sure that their hands,eyes,ears,and feet are fasting as well.