Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists create 'perfect' pop song

Still Waters

The "perfect pop song" is being created by scientists using Darwin's principle of natural selection to turn an assortment of random sounds into musical movements.

Just as the strongest and healthiest plants and animals pass on their good genes to future generations, researchers claim music evolves as musicians copy the best aspects of other artists' work while filtering out their less popular traits.

This means that every time someone buys a song, they are contributing to the "natural selection" process by which the best songs are rewarded with success and the worst ones fade into obscurity, the scientists said.

http://www.telegraph...-selection.html

Maybe I missed something... but if what they are doing is basically filtering out 'lesser used' chords or notes - or jst averaging them... won't they just end up with a single Middle C note?

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Maybe I missed something... but if what they are doing is basically filtering out 'lesser used' chords or notes - or jst averaging them... won't they just end up with a single Middle C note?

Eventually yes. Then they'll give it to Rihanna or Cheryl Cole to record!

• Like 1

Eventually yes. Then they'll give it to Rihanna or Cheryl Cole to record!

Could either one sustain a middle c?

j/k...

• Like 1

I knew it!

I listened to the song they generated. I recognized it immediately.

This scientific experiment proves the evolutionary perfection of popular music was acheived organically in 1980 with publication of Funky Town by Lipps, Inc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CImrIKNmBo

Edited by Charlie Prime

Could either one sustain a middle c?

j/k...

I doubt they could even tell you what a middle C was. Cheryl might just be able to mime it!

Edited by ealdwita

Yean, there is a difference we all recognize between music and noise. Well...some don't have this ability. but there is a built-in recognition of pleasing chord changes and beats in our brain, for instance, that evoke various moods and emotions.

This is what the Global Music Corporations are trying to tap in on. It's unfortunate when they get it semi-right. I fear with this technology every new pop song they manufacture will connect with our brain-pleasing-music-recognition neural circuits, and we will become captives of another Corporate plot to enslave us into thinking all is well as long as we consume Product.

Well if that's the perfect pop song why dont they put it onto the market and see how far it gets in the charts. I can tell you right now,,,,,nowhere lol

In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfect pop song because we all have differing tastes in music. The perfect song to one person will not be the same for another person.

I dont think we need scientists to tell us how music evolves (although I can see the principle by which they worked out their little ditty) We just have to look at the history of music, from when man first started humming tunes by the campfire, to where we are today with the many forms of music and musical instruments we have. That is the real evolution of music :)

• Like 1

Well if that's the perfect pop song why dont they put it onto the market and see how far it gets in the charts. I can tell you right now,,,,,nowhere lol

In my opinion there is no such thing as a perfect pop song because we all have differing tastes in music. The perfect song to one person will not be the same for another person.

I dont think we need scientists to tell us how music evolves (although I can see the principle by which they worked out their little ditty) We just have to look at the history of music, from when man first started humming tunes by the campfire, to where we are today with the many forms of music and musical instruments we have. That is the real evolution of music :)

And if they were really concerned about doing it right... they would do it year by year - not all at once...

Indeed, a 'perfect' pop tune might be created but due to man's varying tastes it can never be seen as perfect by everyone and is therefore not perfect.

Isn't this how the Carpenters wrote their music, but they learn't what melody's sounds and lyrics made people listen and applied it to their music (I remember hearing something like this a long time ago...).

Edited by Junior Chubb

Put art in the hands of scientists you get soulless crap. As their "masterpiece" illustrates only too well. IMO

• Like 2

One thing most people don't realize is that music any lyric combinations are finite. Even styles have run out IMO.

Frankly, I believe we are too a point where the only thing that makes music new is new people.

Is this like the old putting a 100 monkeys in a room with a hundred typewriters and getting a masterpiece out of it? Or whatever that last piece of crap out of the scientific world happened to be? Do these people have nothing better to do than prove how wrong they can be about things? Geez....

• Like 1

One thing most people don't realize is that music any lyric combinations are finite. Even styles have run out IMO.

Frankly, I believe we are too a point where the only thing that makes music new is new people.

Lyric combinations and melodies are finite but I don't think we are anywhere near exhausting them.

New people will always make new music (more exciting) as what is cutting edge to one generation will be 'run of the mill' to the next.

Take the Beatles for example, cutting edge, creative, innovative in their day. But for the average kid of today there music is dated and more suited to TV adverts than being the soundtrack to a great night out, therefore new music needs new artists and thus new ideas.

This "song" is actually being used at Guantanamo Bay to aid in prisoner interrogations. Amnesty International is protesting it's use as being cruel and inhumane.

• Like 2

This "song" is actually being used at Guantanamo Bay to aid in prisoner interrogations. Amnesty International is protesting it's use as being cruel and inhumane.

I thought that was "I Love You" - by Barney

• Like 2

That is a whole new thread in itself,

'Songs so bad they can be used to break the will of a man for interrogation'

• Like 2

WARNING WARNING don't listen to it or you will be brain washed into a mindless zombie WARNING WARNING

LOL, it (the perfect song) instantly reminded me of that episode from 'Buck Rogers in the 21st Century' where the music was dull on arrival :yes:

[media=]

[/media] Edited by sarah snow

Put art in the hands of scientists you get soulless crap. As their "masterpiece" illustrates only too well. IMO

All pop music is soulless crap.