Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Revellers mark solstice at Stonehenge

Saru

Crowds gathering at Stonehenge for this year's summer solstice were met with grey skies and rain.

Thousands of people have gathered at Stonehenge to celebrate the summer solstice despite overcast skies.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

Crowds gathering at Stonehenge for this year's summer solstice were met with grey skies and rain.

I guess the Druids missed it , shame , another year over and deeper in debt..

Thanks for posting the celebration at Stonehenge. I was going to go to one here, but it is too hot and buggy this time of year in Florida to play outside.

I was sunny here, but also started to rain and I looked up in the blue sky and there was a huge rainbow all the way across. I hadn't seen one in awhile and not one that big in forever. A cool thing to see on the solstice and gave me a good feeling.

Wish I could have been there. It was a miserable winter's day here. Only about 15 degrees c and lots of rain . Wait a minute, doesn't sound much different there. It was the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere,right? :devil:

Actually, having read the story I am glad i wasn't there. Modern people spoil such events. I would have liked to be there the day before or after and enjoy the site, history and atmosphere, as it was designed to be appreciated.

Edited by Mr Walker

Must admit, I was sad to see that there was (in my opinion) disrespect/thoughlessness in getting up and standing on the stones.

(there's a photo here ) http://photoblog.msn...stonehenge?lite

In 1999, when I was priveleged to be allowed in on a Solstice with a small Pagan group, it was, just magical. But we treated the site with respect, no clambering about on a World Heritage Site, acting like 5 year olds. You don't have to stand on top of anything, to appreciate the special nature of the site, or its energy. Sorry to sound like a stuffed shirt, but it is how I personally feel about it xx :blush:

Edited by sarah snow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would just throw down right there. huge peer pong tournament at stone henge.

Must admit, I was sad to see that there was (in my opinion) disrespect/thoughlessness in getting up and standing on the stones.

(there's a photo here ) http://photoblog.msn...stonehenge?lite

In 1999, when I was priveleged to be allowed in on a Solstice with a small Pagan group, it was, just magical. But we treated the site with respect, no clambering about on a World Heritage Site, acting like 5 year olds. You don't have to stand on top of anything, to appreciate the special nature of the site, or its energy. Sorry to sound like a stuffed shirt, but it is how I personally feel about it xx :blush:

I would just throw down right there. huge peer pong tournament at stone henge.

As much as I agree with sarah snow, historical sites should not be desecrated but treated with respect, I also understand that people who want to party at these places are also looking for a sense of spirituality. They obviouslly had no great examples but the human body is such that it will bubble out in various forms, many more benign, but this is the eventual outcome so I won't condemn it harshly.