Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Splendiferous English!

Eldorado

nomenclature.

I choose this as my splendiferous word today.......not because its extraordinary............ it just tickles me :su

• Like 2

My sandwich was a touch parablastic.

http://www.thefreedi...y.com/parablast

If you'd had some brandy, you could have mixed yourself a conny wabble to wash it down, though having tried it in the interests of research for my novelling, I don't recommend it.

Edited by schizoidwoman
  • Like 1

ruttier - An old traveler acquainted with roads; from route, French routier. (from Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828)

also...

A set of instructions for finding one's course at sea; a marine guide to the routes, tides, etc. (from Sir James Murray's New English Dictionary, 1909)

• Like 1

If you'd had some brandy, you could have mixed yourself a conny wabble to wash it down, though having tried it in the interests of research for my novelling, I don't recommend it.

I salute your indefatigability in your research!

:)

• Like 1

Snowdropper --

Person who steals laundry; especially women's underwear from clothes-lines.

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

barking-iron - A pistol. (from Richard Thornton's American Glossary, 1912)

• Like 2

barking-iron - A pistol. (from Richard Thornton's American Glossary, 1912)

I like that, I'll add our own 18th century word for pistols - bull dogs!

• Like 1

squiddled - Cheated; wheedled. (from James Halliwell's Dictionary of Archaid and Provincial Words, 1855)

• Like 1

Radio Sports Commentator:

"There was a stramash in the penalty-box, which ended in handbags-at-dawn. Both centre-halfs saw red."

Stramash: A stramash is a chiefly Scottish word for a disturbance, a noisy racket, or a crash.

(Edit for dramatic license)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Excuse me while I circumambulate.

Careful, you'll go blind. :D

Magniloquent - using high-flown or bombastic language.

• Like 1

beneplaciture - Choice. (from John Boag's Imperial Lexicon of the English Language, c. 1850)

Hang-choice, the position of a person who is compelled to choose between two evils. Scotch. (from William Whitney's Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia, 1889)

• Like 1

From an old Tony Hancock show... (forgive me if I don't get it word perfect)...

Man: "Maybe the elevator will move if you get out!"

Tony: "Are you implying that I'm portly?"

Portly - comfortably stout, tubby, fat. (lol)

• Like 2

From an old Tony Hancock show... (forgive me if I don't get it word perfect)...

Man: "Maybe the elevator will move if you get out!"

Tony: "Are you implying that I'm portly?"

Portly - comfortably stout, tubby, fat. (lol)

Now I have to watch some Hancock episodes when I get in; I think a Sid one will do.

I love stout; also corpulent, which means the same thing.

• Like 1

Now I have to watch some Hancock episodes when I get in; I think a Sid one will do.

I love stout; also corpulent, which means the same thing.

Love Sid & Tony.. my Dad laughed like Sid and had same kinda jovial face. :) (remember Bless This House?)

Few people were as good at using "Splediferous English" in a movie as WC Fields...

From the movie "My Little Chickadee" with WC Fields and Mae West:

Cuthbert J. Twillie: May I present my card?

Flower Belle Lee: 'Novelties and Notions.' What kind of notions you got?

Cuthbert J. Twillie: You'd be surprised. Some are old, some are new. Whom have I the honor of addressing, m'lady?

Flower Belle Lee: Mmm, they call me Flower Belle.

Cuthbert J. Twillie: Flower Belle, what a euphonious appellation. Easy on the ears and a banquet for the eyes.

Flower Belle Lee: You're kinda cute yourself.

Cuthbert J. Twillie: Thank you. I never argue with a lady.

Flower Belle Lee: Smart boy.

Cuthbert J. Twillie: Tell me, prairie flower, can you give me the inside info on yon damsel with the hothouse cognomen?

Mrs Gideon: Do you mean Miss Flower Belle Lee?

Cuthbert J. Twillie: I don't mean some woman out in China.

Mrs Gideon: Well! I'm afraid I can't say anything good about her.

Cuthbert J. Twillie: I can see what's good. Tell me the rest

Mrs Gideon: Was that chap dragging you across the prairie a full-blooded Indian?

Cuthbert J. Twillie: Ah, quite the antithesis. He's very anemic

Edit to add:

Cuthbert J. Twillie: I've been worried about you, my little peachfuzz. Have you been loitering somewhere?

Flower Belle Lee: I've been learning things.

Cuthbert J. Twillie: Unnecessary! You are the epitome of erudition... a double superlative. Can you handle it?

Flower Belle Lee: Yeah, and I can kick it around, too.

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Love Sid & Tony.. my Dad laughed like Sid and had same kinda jovial face. :) (remember Bless This House?)

Bless This House... that's one for a Sunday afternoon with toast and tea.

• Like 1

quadrageminus - Quadrageminus day, the fortieth day of fever; the latest period an acute disease was supposed capable of reaching. (from John Redman Coxe's Philadelphia Medical Dictionary, 1817)

• Like 1

"And in the resulting conflagration the bothy burnt down."

Why say "big fire" when you can say "conflagration"?

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

"And in the resulting conflagration the bothy burnt down."

Why say "big fire" when you can say "conflagration"?

Call the firedrakes and get it extinguished!

• Like 1

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

Prettier words were never written imo.

Radio Sports Commentator:

"There was a stramash in the penalty-box, which ended in handbags-at-dawn. Both centre-halfs saw red."

Stramash: A stramash is a chiefly Scottish word for a disturbance, a noisy racket, or a crash.

(Edit for dramatic license)

And there was me thinking it was Scottish for a cup of tea :lol:

• Like 1

Carnaptious is a word often applied to those with a snappy, critical temperament, as exemplified by the following (presumably apocryphal) anecdote from a Herald article from November 2000: 'On being informed of the Labour person's brush with the carnaptious canine, Anniesland Conservative spokesperson Belinda McCammon said: "Oh dear, I hope the dog's all right".'

http://www.scotslang...icles/words/581

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 3

Carnaptious is a word often applied to those with a snappy, critical temperament, as exemplified by the following (presumably apocryphal) anecdote from a Herald article from November 2000: 'On being informed of the Labour person's brush with the carnaptious canine, Anniesland Conservative spokesperson Belinda McCammon said: "Oh dear, I hope the dog's all right".'

http://www.scotslang...icles/words/581

Perhaps it was just rambunctious, another lovely word!

• Like 1

In the course of my work, I have encountered many slang words and phrases and I've been rummaging among my files for good examples. The best come from 16/17th.Cent Legal papers. Here's a few I've selected....

Frummagemmed = hanged or strangled

High Pad = highwayman

Lullypriggers = thieves who steal from washing lines

Drawer-latches = burglars

Pennyweighter = forger

Underdubber = prison guard

...and so on!

Reading back through this thread I realised I'd used a really good word without realising!

(One for the Brits)

About 700 words used in the English language originate from a Hindu or Urdu base - one them being bungalow - a single-story dwelling. Actually I contest this theory. I have it on good authority that the word originated in 1920's Wolverhampton when a local builder ran out of bricks whilst building a house. "Ah bugrit," he said, scratching his head, "Joost Bung a low roof on it!"

(Sorry, Colonials - but you have to be familiar with a Midlands accent to get that one!)

• Like 2

Reading back through this thread I realised I'd used a really good word without realising!

(One for the Brits)

About 700 words used in the English language originate from a Hindu or Urdu base - one them being bungalow - a single-story dwelling. Actually I contest this theory. I have it on good authority that the word originated in 1920's Wolverhampton when a local builder ran out of bricks whilst building a house. "Ah bugrit," he said, scratching his head, "Joost Bung a low roof on it!"

(Sorry, Colonials - but you have to be familiar with a Midlands accent to get that one!)

I once told my American husband this and for a few seconds he believed me, then the penny dropped...

• Like 2