Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extensive Water in Mars Interior

Waspie_Dwarf

Extensive Water in Mars Interior

Until now, Earth was the only planet known to have vast reservoirs of water in its interior. Scientists analyzed the water content of two Martian meteorites originating from inside the Red Planet. They found that the amount of water in places of the Martian mantle is vastly larger than previous estimates and is similar to that of Earth’s. The results not only affect what we know about the geologic history of Mars, but also have implications for how water got to the Martian surface. The data raise the possibility that Mars could have sustained life.

arrow3.gifRead more...

but let's cut some more of NASA's budget

• Like 1

I think we need to go to Mars, the rovers can send back a lot of information but nothing can take place of a human doing the research.

• Like 1

I think we need to go to Mars, the rovers can send back a lot of information but nothing can take place of a human doing the research.

While I agree with you I dont think we are ready for something like that yet. heck they just retired the shuttles and cut Nasa budget again which isn't that large to begin with when you consider it against other things like defense. I think as a society we are not looking to space anymore. It's a different time than 20 years ago. Too many people care about what celebrity reality show comes on this week or who is going to be voted off american idol than what we can find out in space. Sad to say but we arent the innovater's we used to be.

• Like 3

I always had a hunch that water existed on Mars. Note that by "hunch," I mean that it was something I wanted to believe despite having no logical reason to. But apparently logic didn't matter. Hooray for me! And Mars as well.

Does Mars have 'oceans' of water inside it ?

I certainly hope so. What a great stepping stone for space exploration Mars could become (providing we could tap into this resource).

I certainly hope so. What a great stepping stone for space exploration Mars could become (providing we could tap into this resource).

There is easier water than this to be had on Mars, it has substantial polar ice caps.

There is easier water than this to be had on Mars, it has substantial polar ice caps.

Lol, cheers Waspie.

Typical, I only added the "providing we could tap into this resource" as a safety net to stop you jumping on my comment.

While I agree with you I dont think we are ready for something like that yet. heck they just retired the shuttles and cut Nasa budget again which isn't that large to begin with when you consider it against other things like defense. I think as a society we are not looking to space anymore. It's a different time than 20 years ago. Too many people care about what celebrity reality show comes on this week or who is going to be voted off american idol than what we can find out in space. Sad to say but we arent the innovater's we used to be.

The chinese are in space now and they wont take a step backwards, I bet they are already eyeing of the moon & other planets, hey maybe thats the kick in the **** the west needs. :alien:
  • Like 1

I don't care who goes as long as somebody goes. To do it, it is going to take an international effort, anyway.

I don't care who goes as long as somebody goes. To do it, it is going to take an international effort, anyway.

I would say your probably right a joint effort would be more benefical to all

4 representatives from each continent to explore mars sounds like it. it would hopefully take their minds off future wars or world domination

Now we have to find a tow truck big enough to bring to a more hospitable distance from the sun :alien:

There are now serious plans to actually do what you suggested:

From another thread:

Human settlement of Mars in 2023

Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023. A habitable settlement will be waiting for the settlers when they land. The settlement will support them while they live and work on Mars the rest of their lives. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, such that there is a real living, growing community on Mars. Mars One has created a technical plan for this mission that is as simple as possible. For every component of the mission we have identified at least one potential supplier. Mars One invites you to join us in this next giant leap for mankind!

http://mars-one.com/en/

Too many people care about what celebrity reality show comes on this week or who is going to be voted off american idol than what we can find out in space. Sad to say but we arent the innovater's we used to be.

Human settlement of Mars in 2023

Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023. A habitable settlement will be waiting for the settlers when they land. The settlement will support them while they live and work on Mars the rest of their lives. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, such that there is a real living, growing community on Mars. Mars One has created a technical plan for this mission that is as simple as possible. For every component of the mission we have identified at least one potential supplier. Mars One invites you to join us in this next giant leap for mankind!

Two birds with one stone Grey14?

Isn't this Mars One stunt going to be part funded by the fly on the wall filming of astronaut training and selection (and generous corporate sponsorship)? Surely this isn't serious.

Waspie, help me out here!!