Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How many fruitless years will it take?

Sakari

45 years now since the " Patterson " film came out.I consider this the " big one " that sparked most of the interest in " Bigfoot ".....

45 years is a long time for a lot of people to be looking for a large primate in the USA.

I am just wondering, how many years of no body, no DNA, no fossil's, and only fuzzy blurry videos, and proven hoax's will it take before the percent of people that believe drops below 5%.......

How many years would it take for you not to believe anymore, if you do believe?

75, 100, 150 ?

It has been well more than 45 years now.......

Just curious to those that do believe.

• Like 4

I don't think I've ever truely believed in bigfoot. But who knows? They could be very smart creatures.

Probably the same amount of years it will take for people to realize there is no evidence for god.

i agree. if someone truly believes in something than they are gonna believe.

i personally think that if they are out there they will be found eventually. look at all these species that we find daily. granted non of them are large ape like creatures. if they are intelligent they could be hiding out there.

• Like 1

i agree. if someone truly believes in something than they are gonna believe.

i personally think that if they are out there they will be found eventually. look at all these species that we find daily. granted non of them are large ape like creatures. if they are intelligent they could be hiding out there.

Exactly the point of this thread........ :blush:

There will always be people that believe in Bigfoot because even though adults may reach a point in their lives where they no longer believe the creature exists there will always be children who grow up with a belief in Bigfoot based upon the same stories that led their elders to believe in the creature at some point in their lives.

These children will then carry that belief into their adulthood and in turn pass on these beliefs to the next generation of Bigfoot believers. It's a cycle that will (likely) continue on endlessly.

The same can be said for many other beliefs in the world.

• Like 1

45 years now since the " Patterson " film came out.I consider this the " big one " that sparked most of the interest in " Bigfoot ".....

45 years is a long time for a lot of people to be looking for a large primate in the USA.

I am just wondering, how many years of no body, no DNA, no fossil's, and only fuzzy blurry videos, and proven hoax's will it take before the percent of people that believe drops below 5%.......

75, 100, 150 ?

Oh! Oh wow! You haven't heard the worse then, yet...have you? They're talking about making a religious cult thing out of this and making Bigfoot the Jesus Christ and mother nature his father in nature. They will also be making sacrifices in the woods, using 10% of their yearly crops and farm animals, to the divine Bigfoot and nature mother father, whatever. And it get's better, they will select a pure individual (a geeky virgin with a poison oak infection), to become a priest who will meditate on the moral instructions from nature (being one with nature, of course) and Bigfoot, that will be given the 9 commandments to carve into the great oak tree, of which the divine Bigfoot uses to scratch his hairy ass. BTW, there is actually ten, but there is not enough room on the tree for the 10th commandment, so they're saying they'll just haft memorize that one and pass it on to their children by word of mouth.

And, and...most important of all, they plan on spreading the good word of the divine Bigfoot from house to house. With pamphlets and weekend brochures that goes by the title of: Bigfoot Watcher's WatchTower.

Yeah so, I'm pretty sure your're wanting a giant asteroid to hit the Earth right about now. Anyway, just thought I'd let you know so you could contemplate on that.

That might be why bigfoot isn't seen much.

Maybe we'll see more footage of Bigfoot once technology develops a pocket-sized video recorder that everyone can carry with them all the time when hunting, fishing, and hiking. Then Bigfoot will have a very hard time hiding from people.

Oh wait, cell phones do that now, don't they.

Well, we have seen much more footage of drunk college girls showing their naked body parts so at least the technology is there.

• Like 2

Fruitless? Have I got some evidence for you. Keep up, Sakari, keep up! :tu:

The deal was sealed for me at 2-3 months from believer to nonbeliever. (just a hoper, if that's a word)

who knows how long?

I know when I was younger I really didn't care one way or the other. maybe it does exist, maybe not.

but as time went on, I began to wonder if so many more people can keep coming forward with the same types of stories over and over again, maybe there is truth to some of them. and the stories never go away.

Now, would all of these people be liars? and if so many lairs exist, how come we have no people making up lies about flying pigs, fire-breathing llamas, or any number of ridiculous creatures that last over the millenia? Liars do not have to follow a script, right?

so now I take these stories more seriously. one such story was given by a woman who passed a lie detector test. (MysteryQuest)/ hard to get around.

so I look at these evidences and consider them. And I have to say, I cannot dismiss them ALL out of hand.

tic toc, we'll see

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 3

75, 100, 150 ?

One thing that I've learned through my time here at UM is that to people who have their minds made up, evidence (or lack of) doesn't mean a damn thing, which I find incredibly disheartening. They are going to believe regardless of anything offered to the contrary. It is quite likely that there will be a significant contingent of people that will believe in things like ET visitation or Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster for quite some time with little to nothing to support such beliefs. I don't know why unless you want to delve into psychology, but there it is. It is quite tiresome when one wastes their breath to inform those who would rather not listen.

• Like 1

Well from the article that appeared in the Scottish paper yesterday talking about how in some fundamentalist Christian schools they are using "science" texts that state that the existence of the Loch Ness Monster is evidence that evolution is wrong, it looks like the we're going to have a whole new batch of Bible thumping believers.

Maybe we need a new wristband? Forget WWJD. It's now WCWJHF (What Cryptid Would Jesus Hunt For).

Forget taking care of the indigent, feeding the poor, and leading people to Christ - we're hunting for dinosaurs b****es!

Here's the link by the way: http://www.scotsman.com/the-scotsman/scotland/loch-ness-monster-cited-by-us-schools-as-evidence-that-evolution-is-myth-1-2373903

I have been coming to this site for years and there is only one real mystery that bothers me more than anything. Why do people who don't believe in the paranormal frequent paranormal websites? I'm not into sports, so you won't find me on sports websites arguing about various sports teams. I'm not religious, so you won't see me on religious websites. I don't believe or disbelieve in the fantastic stories I read on UM, i just try to keep an open mind and realize that no matter how smart I get, i will never know everything. So can someone tell me what prompts people to come to a website about unexplained mysteries when they don't seem to believe that there are any unexplained mysteries? I'm just curious.

• Like 6

I have been coming to this site for years and there is only one real mystery that bothers me more than anything. Why do people who don't believe in the paranormal frequent paranormal websites?

Who says I don't believe in the paranormal? I come here to find evidence of the paranormal.

The problem is that I don't get any! All I get is blurry photos, faked photos, misinterpreted photos, wild tales, and wilder speculation. None of this stuff is paranormal. There's a thread here where a guy accidentally took a picture of his own shadow and thought he took a picture of a dark specter. The argument has been going on for days!

So can someone tell me what prompts people to come to a website about unexplained mysteries when they don't seem to believe that there are any unexplained mysteries? I'm just curious.

You will not find anyone here who claims there are no unexplained mysteries. What you will find are people who have seen far too many things that are explainable.

• Like 2

I have been coming to this site for years and there is only one real mystery that bothers me more than anything. Why do people who don't believe in the paranormal frequent paranormal websites? I'm not into sports, so you won't find me on sports websites arguing about various sports teams. I'm not religious, so you won't see me on religious websites. I don't believe or disbelieve in the fantastic stories I read on UM, i just try to keep an open mind and realize that no matter how smart I get, i will never know everything. So can someone tell me what prompts people to come to a website about unexplained mysteries when they don't seem to believe that there are any unexplained mysteries? I'm just curious.

Above reply answers this well.....So would using the search function, since this has been asked and answered a hundred times over.

The answer is simple, believers aren't looking for verification or answers, they're looking for affirmation of their own belief and when confronted with simple logic or a possible non-paranormal answer to some "mystery" which they can't get around then they often resort to wondering why all the non-believers have come to where they wanted nothing more than to have themselves validated.

I don't know much about you, I sort of ran across this and saw your reply and thought I would toss in my observations on having been to many paranormal BB and websites over the years.

• Like 2

You will not find anyone here who claims there are no unexplained mysteries. What you will find are people who have seen far too many things that are explainable.

I completely disagree. There are numerous members on this site that will straight up never acknowledge something as an unexplained mystery.

They WILL however belittle and mock you for your lack of knowledge in whatever field they think will most support whatever answer they've decided is the right one for explaining a particular mystery.

I mean, an hour of just browsing threads is evidence of that.

• Like 2

I completely disagree. There are numerous members on this site that will straight up never acknowledge something as an unexplained mystery.

They WILL however belittle and mock you for your lack of knowledge in whatever field they think will most support whatever answer they've decided is the right one for explaining a particular mystery.

It is not accepting something as " unexplained ", I do that......I do not accept something ( most topics here ) being " paranormal " .....

Big difference.

Dude, you're going to run into that anywhere and believers and non-believers run the whole gambit of range from hardcore totally believe anything you post, no proof or evidence required, to no belief in anything or will even entertain the possibility and anything offered up for consideration is total BS. Personally, I tend to simply reject the two extremes as being closed minded...........yes, a hardcore, super-duper believer has a very closed mind and so does the person who will not accept or consider anything. Same church, different pew.

.....But what should their opinions matter to you anyway? If you have indeed done your research and developed an opinion that is well reasoned and insightful to you, it works for you and fits within your own realm of life experience; then what does the opinion of someone you really don't know on the web matter to you? Seriously? Simply don't reply or respond to those that are bashing and discuss or debate with only those that can respond in a civil matter. Keep in mind that strong opinions do often bring out strong emotions and that often comes out in a posted reply. Doesn't mean they're slobbering crazies(they might be, but that's a whole other thread), just that they are passionate about their opinions. Just as you are about yours. Not to mention, that out of these strong exchanges of thoughts and ideas, you might reconsider your own opinion or plant the seed of change in they're mind. Not every argument is necessarily a negative thing.

• Like 2

Maybe because those particular things aren't unexplained mysteries. Everyone knows that the size of the universe is a mystery and everyone knows that there will always be things that we don't know and cannot know. And it goes both ways. I personally think the origin of life is far more mysterious than those who wish to believe that the creation of life is a trivial process thus life abounds in the universe.

I try to be especially polite because I have been fooled many times however there are plenty of people who choose to ignore established science and physical laws if they conflict with the conclusions they've jumped to.

Most of us assume that they simply never learned how science works and just need some more information, but more often than not we find they've simply rejected more rational explanations and have chosen to believe in things they find more exciting. If you reject all arguments and continuously promote your belief, yes you'll probably be mocked and belittled just like on any forum on the Internet.

These people who come to promote their beliefs also don't believe in mysteries since they've already made their own conclusions and by your judgment have no business being here.

I mean, an hour of just browsing threads is evidence of that

And in that hour you will find the people I describe too. They tend to leave when they don't get the support they hoped to receive.

• Like 1

It's always good to be open minded. I hate it how we can be so arrogant and think we know everything overall.

• Like 1

It's always good to be open minded. I hate it how we can be so arrogant and think we know everything overall.

You are talking in general.....

When topics are broke down individually, that " open minded " can easily be " blind faith ".........

• Like 1

True, but you have to understand that having an "open mind" is often taken as an invitation for others to simply offer up anything without any evidence or proof and have it rubber stamped as being valid. Having an open mind is all well and good, so long as your mind isn't so open that your brain falls out on the floor. Personally, I'm open on a lot of subjects and I have no problems talking about possibilities, however please don't expect me to validate stuff that should never really have been taken seriously in the first place.

My personal favorite........documentary and I use that term extremely loosely, was from some guys who claimed to have been fighting an underground war with an alien species since shortly after the Roswell incident. They had all sorts of "stuff" they talked about, but of course it's all super-duper top secret, eyes only, even the President doesn't know about it because of the political implications should it ever become public knowledge. On this subject, I freely admit I have no open mindedness for and seriously doubt I ever will. Hell, there are some people who are hoping we really do have a Zombie Apocalypses..........what's that all about? Jeez?!?

True, but you have to understand that having an "open mind" is often taken as an invitation for others to simply offer up anything without any evidence or proof and have it rubber stamped as being valid. Having an open mind is all well and good, so long as your mind isn't so open that your brain falls out on the floor. Personally, I'm open on a lot of subjects and I have no problems talking about possibilities, however please don't expect me to validate stuff that should never really have been taken seriously in the first place.

Absolutely agree, just couldn't be bothered posting it like that. I guess adding 'overall' didn't help haha