Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Man receives call from 1980

UM-Bot

Belinda Bentley: Jake E. from Spokane, Washington put in a call to HPI and spoke with Paul Dale Roberts. Paul informed me there was an interesting story here and I should give him a call. It definitely is an interesting story! Headline: Man Receives a Call From 1980. At 3:33am Jake saw he had a missed call. It was from a private number. He looked at the time and it was "Dead Time." (3:00am - a time when the veil thins between the spirit world and ours. It's a time when nightmares happen or a time when you are most likely to have a prophetic dream. For paranormal investigators it could be a great time to get EVPs.) This isn't strange or unusual, but then he looks at the date. The date is Monday, March 10, 1980...last century. The call came from 32 years ago.

arrow3.gifView: Full Article
  • Like 3

32-year old phone calls show up in our phones today...freaky and totally paranormal. Keep in mind, Cell phones in 1980 was in their infancy stage. I was like a month old myself at that time, but imagine if I called my parents 32 years ago from now? "Hey Mom and Dad, how are ya? Things are going good in 2012. See you later...in 32 years."

Edited by Mike the Autist-ic
  • Like 2

I've heard of people receiving phone calls near the time of a loved one's death or even months after someone has passed away. But 32 years later? Strange.

• Like 1

I'm kind of disappointed. There doesn't seem to be much to this story. I was hoping that a message was left, or something other than a date from 1980 being displayed on the missed calls section of the guy's phone.

I admit it'd throw me off a bit if I had it happen, but ultimately I think I would view it as nothing more than a glitch.

• Like 5

I had something similar happen a few months ago. A couple of emails came in dated from 1960. lol But i know who sent them and figured it was just a weird gmail glitch.

Ghosts have the ability to violate the rules of physics in that they do things that are unnaturally possible. Regular everyday people experience paranormal activity and celebrities are now opening up about strange and unexplainable events in their life.

*snip*

Edited by Saru
Removed links

this is a total non story, very disapointing

• Like 3

bunch of crap, just a story written by some wannabe author.

So theres no evidence apart from a mobile phone that says there is a missed call recieved on whatever date 1980? I would think software glitch on one of the phone providers servers, I dont know about other countries but here in Australia some of the Tech support and customer service you can recieve leaves allot to be desired.

I would imagine a software glitch would be the most likely explanation; we often see some very strange dates on documents saved on the shared drive in my office.

I did like the bit about Herman Tarnower though, it amused me that the chap found mention of a murder that had occurred on the date in question and, despite having no connection in any other way to the story, decided that this could be the source of the message.

• Like 1

If I were a ghost who had passed away in 1980 ....

- I would not know the first thing about digital technology or how to manipulate it to get a message onto someone's phone

- I would not send a message to a stranger who wouldn't have a hope in Hades of figuring out what just happened

- I sure as heck would say something if I did figure out that much about technology not just leave a "missed call"

The biggest best and most important - I would be one of approx oh 500 million folk who died world wide that year (or is it 50 million?) anyway a huge number, so I would be laughing myself silly at the person receiving the message who claimed to nail it down to just one stranger's name

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 2

Interesting story, but I think it's probably a hoax. I mean there's absolutely no evidence that it really happened, anybody can create this kind of story.

And come on, why would "Ghosts" or "Spirits" communicate with us by phone !? Give me a break.

People believing that ghosts are behind that phone call are way off. I think it's really laughable.

The simple explanation (that has come up years ago) is that the radio waves created by the phone 32 years ago went off into space, hit a celestial object (an asteroid or planet) and were bounced back to earth and was picked up by a phone,which happened to be on the same frequency at the moment the incoming radio waves came back...( sorry you paranormal people, no ghosts or other phenomenon,its a known fact ). Radio Hams had this problem a long time ago..

If I were a ghost who had passed away in 1980 ....

that sounds like a new game on UM!

• Like 4

That story was a bust!

As it said in the article, the representative from the phone company said "There could be a glitch in the system because it happened". Enough said.

This is just laughable. When you have a missed call or recieved call etc on your phone, it tells you the time and date it was left on YOUR phone. Not the time and date they called from their phone.

He could have made the date on his phone 1980, recieved a missed call, then changed his date back. lol

This doesn't even make sense. HAHA

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

He should have answered the call and told the caller how goofy their hair looks.

• Like 2

It is said that animals and children can see things that adults can't. When I went to bed 1 night,

My dog was restless and stood at the threshold of the bedroom door and barked. weird. :hmm:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This has happened to me and my girlfriend from synching google voice and gmail, it was an inside joke for quite a while ><

Edited by Prestige

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is possible. I received a call, at 3:00 am from my mom, at the exact time of her death. I answered the phone, but there was no one on the other end, just static. I hung up, figuring my mom had just accidentally called me. She was in a rest home and my brother and his wife lived a couple of blocks from there. At exactly 3:10 am I get a call from my sister-in-law informing me the rest home had called them and stated that my mom had passed away.

Three months later, I got a missed call from my mom's number. It went to voice mail. Only static. Then, Six months later I get another call from my (Deceased) Mom. Upon answering it, there was nothing on the other end. I called back right away, got nothing but static again. I called my sister-in-law and asked what happened to my mom's phone after her death. My sister-in-law said the phone was disconnected that day, and she had the phone, no battery in it. When I told her about the phone calls, she looked at me as if I were crazy. I again called my mom's number, and it again rang, then static. I would figure by that time someone else would have that number. I never contacted the phone company she used, never thought to even asked my sister-in-law what it was, but I KNOW my mom was in contact with me.

The calls ended after my Dad passed away 7 months after my mom's death. I guess my mom was finally at peace.

• Like 1

Was most likely a hardware issue with his phone, or a software issue. Just because you "believe" the story, that doesn't indicate that it was anything from "beyond the grave".

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm....

I sent texts to a friend last week and they came up on his phone as being sent in 1980, year before either of us were born! I am alive, wasn't sending from beyond the grave. Anyway, he turned phone off and on again and it sorted the problem.

I see the number 333 all the time. Not sure if it has a meaning or not. I had an uncle that died a few yrs ago. He got hit by a train. A few mts later his wife recieved a collect call from him and so did her son in law. It frightened her so bad she hung up. ????