Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Response being sent to Wow! signal

If aliens could build a 2.2 gigawatt transmitter then I don't think math would be much of a hurdle.

I'm sure my mate has a stereo with that power in his Ford Focus ST ;)

I'm sure my mate has a stereo with that power in his Ford Focus ST ;)

:lol: Maybe he could blast some Zeppelin at our alien friends then. That should get their attention.

If it was an advanced civilization, they would gain nothing from us. Might use us as pets (dibs on being a kitty), or a zoo. We can offer them nothing. Perhaps we could offer to trade universal knowledge and compare data. However, the likely hood that they're even remotely close to us is slim to none and this Wow noise is actually a natural noise..

I believe we do have things to offer. As guinea pigs. If they have something they need to experiment, give them a nice ripe american military volonteer in exchange for some small peice of tech such as self-sustaining plasma or an advanced metal and we hand over all the people they want. Then we threaten the world and create a world-wide peace. and finally we destroy all the puny aliens foolish enough to give us their tech! :clap::gun::clap:

B)

Well our Main maths is Denary which is in Tens... It's thta way because we have 10 fingers. So if an Alien had 12 fingers he would have to figure that out as well. Then again i think they put the basic human aunotomy on the plaque, so maybe they will take note of the 10 fingers.

Yeah I did hear about that. Hope thye don't find the sound offensive. LOL

If an alien race had 12 fingers they would have started with a numerical base of 12 early off as they first learned mathmatics. thereby to decode the WOW transmission we would need to know how many fingers they had. if anyone is confused as to why this is, simply ask your neighbor.

Just thought i'd explain your logic to people who dont get it...
:tu:

A team from the National Geographic are working to respond to the famous 1977 transmission.

Bwoah. There is nothing there any more.

A natural noise has to be created by something or that something would not exist

Perhaps it was not meant for us. perhaps it was for another advanced civilization somewhere near to us that miss fired. like a mortar meant for an enemy base that hits an insertion force. anti-climatic and useless. Additionally, why would a civilization send a signal that would take hundreds of thousands of millions of years to reach its destination? by the time it reaches the other place, both targeted civilizations are dead or dying.

:lol: Maybe he could blast some Zeppelin at our alien friends then. That should get their attention.

I thought I heard several recording are going out, or maybe that was some other goofy project.

If we want them to like us we should just beam "Ode to Joy" on a loop over and over and over. Who could conquer a planet that created such a masterpiece? If we want them to hate us anything off the Billboard Top 10 pop chart would have them locked and loaded before they pass the moon. And who could blame them?

I thought I heard several recording are going out, or maybe that was some other goofy project.

If we want them to like us we should just beam "Ode to Joy" on a loop over and over and over. Who could conquer a planet that created such a masterpiece? If we want them to hate us anything off the Billboard Top 10 pop chart would have them locked and loaded before they pass the moon. And who could blame them?

Haha...totally agree. :lol:

We could always throw self preservation out the window and send them some Lady Gaga or some other such drivel. :whistle:

Oh ! twelve fingers ! How about a Alien with just the power to just say No ? No I dont believe in Aliens?

What if E.T`s think that theres no way that anything is out there? IT could happen.

i just put my real name #ChasingUFOs. Something nice and short. Mind as well have my name broadcasted to the entire Universe. It's a good way to "Live Forever", since if anything does receive the transmission i will be long dead.

I'm probably at great risk by sharing this, but I can't keep the secret to myself any longer. There are only a handful of people who are aware of what I'm about to divulge, so the authorities will have a very short list to work from in finding the leak...

The sad truth about the WOW signal is that...

Wait for it...

We read it backwards.

:P

• Like 3

I'm probably at great risk by sharing this, but I can't keep the secret to myself any longer. There are only a handful of people who are aware of what I'm about to divulge, so the authorities will have a very short list to work from in finding the leak...

Wait for it...

We read it backwards.

20523091.jpg

:lol:

• Like 2

It's my understanding that any signal from Earth would attenuate to the point of being indistinguishable from background noise before it even gets out of our solar system. So who would be receiving it, as the nearest star to us is a little over 4 light-years away?

cormac

• Like 1

It's my understanding that any signal from Earth would attenuate to the point of being indistinguishable from background noise before it even gets out of our solar system. So who would be receiving it, as the nearest star to us is a little over 4 light-years away?

cormac

You are pretty much dead on correct cormac. All of the radio signals we have sent out would be little more than background noise by the time it reaches any significant distance.

Of course the ETH proponents would argue that a superior alien race with more advanced technology should be able to decipher our signals from the noise. In which case, I hope they enjoy the Honeymooners. POW! ZOOM! Right to the Moon!

You are pretty much dead on correct cormac. All of the radio signals we have sent out would be little more than background noise by the time it reaches any significant distance.

Of course the ETH proponents would argue that a superior alien race with more advanced technology should be able to decipher our signals from the noise. In which case, I hope they enjoy the Honeymooners. POW! ZOOM! Right to the Moon!

Then they should have a good answer for why a superior alien race can't seem to manage to send a signal to us that is significantly distinguishable from background noise.

cormac

Wait for it...

We read it backwards.

That's worse the one I was going to do... I was going to say it's upside down and should read MOM. lol

If an alien race had 12 fingers they would have started with a numerical base of 12 early off as they first learned mathmatics. thereby to decode the WOW transmission we would need to know how many fingers they had. if anyone is confused as to why this is, simply ask your neighbor.

Just thought i'd explain your logic to people who dont get it...
:tu:

Yeah that makes mroe sense, thanks. lol

I'm bad at explaining what I mean.

Then they should have a good answer for why a superior alien race can't seem to manage to send a signal to us that is significantly distinguishable from background noise.

cormac

Because they know that we aren't a very friendly race. They could easily send us a Signal to us that is significantly distinguishable from background noise. But they rather not risk a conflict.

Because they know that we aren't a very friendly race. They could easily send us a Signal to us that is significantly distinguishable from background noise. But they rather not risk a conflict.

Any possibility of us being able to inlfict any kind of harm whatsoever on any race on another planet, let alone in another solar system, is virtually zero, given that even if we did consider it worthwhile constructing an ICBM (or IPBM) with interstellar capability, anyone would have literally years to detect it and do something about it. Only if they wished to invade us, à la Independence Day, would there be any likelihood of a Conflict with us.

cormac

I don't think it would be that easy, even for an advanced civilization to detect whether there's intelligent life capable of receiving a signal in a distant planet so I don't see why they'd focus on this particular area of space. They might have the means to see if a planet is in the habitable zone but that still wouldn't prove anything. Anyway I agree with what you said earlier, I don't think our reply is going to get anywhere and honestly I hope it doesn't. I wonder who would be crazy enough to use twitter to get a message to aliens if they really thought it would work...

Well I think its fair to assume that a alien race might be advanced but not have a means to send a signal across great distances like that. Who is to say that basic problems can't be shared by all?

Then again, maybe something in space it self is blocking it or they might not be responding for who knows what reason. What if we are in some sort of protected space by a certain race that won't allow signals out or in? Who knows.

Wait for it...

We read it backwards.

I love you.

Bork Bork Bork

• Like 1

If they "know" that we aren't a very friendly race then they should also "know" that there's not a damn thing we can do to them as we don't have the technology for interstellar/FTL travel. Of course it's just as possible that they're as paranoid as many here on this planet are.

cormac

cormac

Hi Cormac,

I was going to respond to this a bit earlier, but got caught up. It is actually not entirely true that we would not be detectable beyond our solar system. While radio/tv signals certainly would not survive past our solar system, some would however. For instance, the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS) would most likely survive a couple of hundred light years given the amount of power they emit and their directivity.

Please allow me to quote a post I wrote on that subject a couple of years back :)

Pax, sorry this was a long time coming, but I was quite busy today!

thanks, then Hazzard is right, and we should be looking for radar waves... grin2.gif

but, you'd think something like radar would be a common navigational aid aboard a space craft, and used by many seperate races, shouldn't space be full of radar waves? just wondering

Well, radar waves is the same as radio waves and the typical carrier frequency ranges from ~200MHz to 35GHz. These are typical ranges, but Over The Horizon (OTH) radar has operated as low as 2MHz. It all depends on what you are looking for and at, i.e. low frequency radar will penetrate clouds, but high frequency will not. High frequency radar on the other hand gives you a better resolution. Lots of issues to factor in. But where radio broadcasts are broadcast, i.e. sent out in all directions at the same time, radar waves are directional radio waves and only sent out in a small cone towards a specific point at any given time. The main difference is therefore the amount of power you can transmit.

Space is actually full of radio wave transmitters, among them is the sun, pulsars and matter circling a black hole at high speed before passing through the event horizon. And I find it very likely that ET (wherever he might be) is using radar as well for navigation. The only issue here is that navigation radar tends to be fairly low power, but lets disregard that fact for now. Any radio transmission loses power during propagation from what is called free space propagation loss, which is from divergence. It is given by

Loss = ( c/(4*pi*R*f) )^2

Where

C is the speed if light in vacuum

R is the distance the signal has traveled and f is the frequency of the transmitted signal

For more info, please see http://people.deas.h...gation.html#fsl

or for a much more detailed explanation grab this book:

R. E. Collin, "Antennas and Radio Wave Propagation", McGraw-Hill Internation Editions, 1985, pp. 311.

What it is important to notice is the signal power declines with the square of the distance traversed; or in other words, if you want to double the distance, you will have to quadruple the transmitted signal power! If you have the sensitivity for a given receiver, you can easily calculate from how far out a signal can be detected.

But as we were talking military radar, the most powerful are the Ballistic Missile Early Warning System (BMEWS). There is a nice article on that subject here

http://history.nasa....-2156/ch5.4.htm

I grabbed a couple of paragraphs pertaining to this discussion:

Nevertheless, if an external observer used equipment comparable to the most sensitive radio telescope on Earth (the 305-m diameter dish at Arecibo, Puerto Rico), we calculate that a BMEWS-type radar could be detected as far away as 15 light years. This distance includes only about 40 stars, but, of course, it is possible that our eavesdropper possesses a much more sensitive radio telescope than we do. If "he" had something like the largest one ever proposed for Earth, namely, the array of a thousand 100-m dishes called for by Project Cyclops (Oliver and Billingham, 1973), he could detect a BMEWS-type radar at a distance of 250 light years. In this case at least 100,000 stars are possible candidates for such an eavesdropper's location. But note that radio waves travel at the finite speed of 1 light year per year, and thus it will take until the 23rd century, or 250 years from now, before all these stars have had a chance to be bathed in the radiation of our defense system radars!

Emphasis mine. Hence, the strongest radio sources would be detectable out to 250 light years, which on the galactic scale is an extremely small number. One of the few issues with detecting these radars (and other military, for that matter) is that they do frequency hopping to counter jamming, and if ASTI (Alien Search For Terrestrial Intelligence) apply the same technique as SETI, I guess they'd be mighty annoyed original.gif

After picking up a BMEWS (or other) acquisition signal, the observer needs at least 100 times more sensitivity in his equipment to reach the rich lode of information signals emanating from Earth. It turns out that television broadcast antennas (or stations) are the most intense sources of such signals.

Emphasis mine. Hence, the radar signals is by far the strongest signal to be leaving Earth and to detect television signals the receiver gear would have to be 100 times more sensitive. And we will still only be able to reach out to 250 light years. And every time we improve the sensitivity by a factor of a hundred, we only gain a factor of 10 in distance.

Best,

Badeskov

Cheers,

Badeskov

Edited by badeskov
  • Like 1