Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Invention allows "living without breathing."

UFO_Monster

(Sorry about the topic title. I couldn't come up with anything without the title being cut off by the character limit.)

This may seem like something out of a science fiction movie: researchers have designed microparticles that can be injected directly into the bloodstream to quickly oxygenate your body, even if you can't breathe anymore. It's one of the best medical breakthroughs in recent years, and one that could save millions of lives every year.

The invention, developed by a team at Boston Children's Hospital, will allow medical teams to keep patients alive and well for 15 to 30 minutes despite major respiratory failure. This is enough time for doctors and emergency personnel to act without risking a heart attack or permanent brain injuries in the patient.

http://gizmodo.com/5...thout-breathing

It can increase the likelihood of keeping patients alive? I think it's a wonderful invention.

I can see a military use of this in the near future.

This sounds like a great invention, brain damage is a problem in people that are deprived of oxygen for very long.

Wonder how it could be used lets say to help us live in Mars thin atmosphere?

Maybe it could be used for deep sea diving. If you don't breath air you can't get compressed.

I donot think non availability of oxygen would keep us away from breathing :D We would still continue the process, even if there is nothing available, desperately, right?

Hopefully we will see this at the consumer level in the near future - an easily administered life saving injection available at chemists etc.

Edit: OOOOH or for a day of diving at the beach! No threat from drowning while surfing. C'mon leisure pack - available at all good stores.

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

Does this mean in the distant future instead of a lung transplant we could have lung removals and a lifetime of oxygen injections?

Maybe this could eventually be available in tablet form.

• Like 1

I donot think non availability of oxygen would keep us away from breathing :D We would still continue the process, even if there is nothing available, desperately, right?

Free divers train their bodies so they can hold their breath for minutes. Still I wouldn't like to try it.

I wonder if this could aid in high altitude situations?

Does this mean in the distant future instead of a lung transplant we could have lung removals and a lifetime of oxygen injections?

Tablet form?

How would you talk then? :P

I read about this on The Flood.

A tasty future we have indeed.

What people seldom think about is that an unborn baby doesn't breath at all until it's born. Of course the mother is breathing for both, but it's still amazing.

this is all we need

This is great. This is something I've been thinking about for about a year now. I'm glad to see this breakthrough. Go science. :cheer:

Now would that person have to be sedated? Would it support someone thrashing about?

I really like this invention. It could be useful during first aid, resuscitation, or lifesaving in general.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Maybe these tablets might start on the black market, and come in different forms, such as Oxy-rocks (which I am trademarking now by the way), Oxtasy, Oxcaine, and after indulging in all of that, we can the go and smoke some O.

Maybe these tablets might start on the black market, and come in different forms, such as Oxy-rocks (which I am trademarking now by the way), Oxtasy, Oxcaine, and after indulging in all of that, we can the go and smoke some O.

They all sound like detergent boosters to me? You been snorting Vanish Oxi Action again?

• Like 1

They all sound like detergent boosters to me? You been snorting Vanish Oxi Action again?

Yeah, now my nose hairs are whiter than ever.

Damn! Think of the military opportunities with this stuff.....I'm sure there will be a new shot in the seal kit....

Yeah, now my nose hairs are whiter than ever.

Lol. so are mine, but that's through old age. Nothing worse then grey nostril hair.

How did I get so off topic?

wow, cool stuf

very good fire safety gadget, when it is smoky, no o2, hot, use that to breathe and get out, that is lots of live ppl out, most death in fire is from smoke, rather than fire.

same with drowning, divers can use it too, no scuba gear, imo that should make their life easyer, thou imo, it wouldn't stop nitrogen bubbles in blood to form, but i could be wrong.

This is why I love science so much, so many new inventions that an save lives and possibly extend their lives as well. Some inventions also makes it much easier to complete tasks, but I think we shouldn't forget how to do the tasks without this technology or we will be in a sorry state if we loose this technology.