Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ball lightning punches hole in window

skareb

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this, if not Mod pls help to move.

Mystery hole in the window

Resident says a bright light was first seen and next day they saw this at the window, happen at my apartment,

post-32050-0-42583300-1340884173_thumb.j

• Like 3

Good thing you wernt there, must of been your aluminium window frames that attracted it

That is awesome. I wish I were there to see that. Not in the way of course :( I would cut it out and frame it.

Edited by Seeker79

it was actually chuck norris,

he sends his apologies.

Not sure how this qualifies as paranormal if lightning clearly was the cause. Lightning in all its forms is rather normal to me.

• Like 2

Shouldn't there be some damage to the window frame and rubber gasket?

Why does the melted glass seem to stop right next to the rubber gasket? Wouldn't the heat of molten glass at least melt the rubber?

Shouldn't there be some damage to the window frame and rubber gasket?

Why does the melted glass seem to stop right next to the rubber gasket? Wouldn't the heat of molten glass at least melt the rubber?

Thats the unexplained part, the rubber seal and aluminium frame is all perfect absolutely no damage.

Where did the melted glass go?

There is not enough data in your evidence.

"Resident says a bright light was first seen and next day they saw this at the window, happen at my apartment,"

No time, No Date, No solid discription on the event that had happened (except you claiming it is a ball of lightning on the title).

In your other forum that you had posted this, The members there suggested drill with a circular saw. This theory seems plausable since you can belt the glass from the friction. The other is moister and heat causing it to crack and break.

It's just not enough data apart from heresay and a picture of the window except speculation and use of imagination to claim it is paranormal or supernatural.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

There is not enough data in your evidence.

No time, No Date, No solid discription on the event that had happened (except you claiming it is a ball of lightning on the title).

In your other forum that you had posted this, The members there suggested drill with a circular saw. This theory seems plausable since you can belt the glass from the friction. The other is moister and heat causing it to crack and break.

It's just not enough data apart from heresay and a picture of the window except speculation and use of imagination to claim it is paranormal or supernatural.

Thats all I can think off, you definately cant drill that on circular saw, round saw produce round holes.

Thats all I can think off, you definately cant drill that on circular saw, round saw produce round holes.

i was thinking when it was being cut it broke off from when it was being cut at an odd angle or the preasure

Edited by Brian Topp

Where did the melted glass go?

Lightning is plasma. Hotter than the surface of the sun. It might have vaporized it.

• Like 1

Lightning is plasma. Hotter than the surface of the sun. It might have vaporized it.

Not possible, As mentioned, the rubber on the side of the window would of melted also. There is no real evidence that lightning can vaporize glass. There would be smoke at least or signs of burns and melted residue of glass.

Edited by Brian Topp

Isn't glass a conductor?

And glass beakers are used in labs....Hot.....And on stoves, glass pots.

Glass insulators on electrical poles?....I remember shooting them when I was a kid on old lines....

Tee, hee, glass is an insulator.. that's why they used them for wires, because they didn't conduct electricity :)

Anywho... To the OP.. is this your apartment and your window.. or is this a window in your apartment building? If there was witness to the light.. Was there witness to sound too? Like a sharp pop or crack or thump or something?

To me, it kind of looks like a hand cut hole. Like cut with a glass blade, not a power tool. Or perhaps just a freak accident of something hitting the window and managing to break a clean hole. None of the glass edges look melted to me, they look sharp. And you can see fracturing in the glass still stuck in the frame.

• Like 2

Hmm I;d love to see a pic from the other side..

but it looks like its been punched out from the inside.. its hard to say if the cleaving around the edge is on the inside of the pane or the outside..

Tee, hee, glass is an insulator.. that's why they used them for wires, because they didn't conduct electricity :)

Hence the name "insulator". ;)

I haven't decided on the OP...ball lightening is an odd thing. My mother-in-law was hit by it in her house without it breaking the the glass on the way in. Her arm was paralyzed for almost a year.

Anywho... To the OP.. is this your apartment and your window.. or is this a window in your apartment building? If there was witness to the light.. Was there witness to sound too? Like a sharp pop or crack or thump or something?

To me, it kind of looks like a hand cut hole. Like cut with a glass blade, not a power tool. Or perhaps just a freak accident of something hitting the window and managing to break a clean hole. None of the glass edges look melted to me, they look sharp. And you can see fracturing in the glass still stuck in the frame.

They saw light from inside their unit, dont remember them mentioning about sound. This is a window at the lift lobby

They saw light from inside their unit, dont remember them mentioning about sound. This is a window at the lift lobby

Questions:

1. How did they see the light?

2. Was the light outside or Inside?

3. How long did they witness the light?

4. What time did they see the light?

5. What color was the light?

6. Was it a flash of light or a glow?

7. Where did this happen, state and town would be nice.

Edited by Brian Topp

Blow torch!

Questions:

1. How did they see the light? they saw a bright light at the corridor

2. Was the light outside or Inside? they're inside their apartment, light is outside

3. How long did they witness the light? no idea

4. What time did they see the light? at night

5. What color was the light? no idea

6. Was it a flash of light or a glow? glow

7. Where did this happen, state and town would be nice. Malaysia Kuala lumpur

What camera do you have, skareb?

Has a glazier yet examined the damage and given an opinion?

Most difficult to cut a hole in tempered glass without fracturing large parts of the piece as a whole. That's why all sizing and shaping of glass is done before it's tempered.

Most difficult to cut a hole in tempered glass without fracturing large parts of the piece as a whole. That's why all sizing and shaping of glass is done before it's tempered.

That's true, but the pictured pane appears to be ordinary untempered window glass..