Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US Army develops lightning weapon

Saru

The military are experimenting with a laser-guided weapon that can fire bolts of lightning at targets.

US Army scientists are developing a weapon which can fire a laser-guided lightning bolt at a target. The Laser-Induced Plasma Channel (LIPC) is designed to hit targets that conduct electricity better than the air or ground that surrounds them.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I bet this is 10 Years ahead of what they are reporting on. lol

WOW. And I thought the Lightning Gun in Unreal Tournament 2004 was unreal.

WOW. And I thought the Lightning Gun in Unreal Tournament 2004 was unreal.

I was thinking the same thing, but from Quake instead of UT04.

It also reminds me, mechanically, of the Arc Projecter from Mass Effect 2.

i want one

Sounds like the thor-2 laser they'd shoot down ufo's with, or the laser stun gun that fires two oppisite charged laser's, that discharge upon contact!

Edited by bigjonalien

Sounds painful. Getting emperor Palpatine vibes.

I'm getting Palpatine palpitations just thinking about it...

• Like 2

Interesting...

They do realise that I've owned one for years and could have just sold them mine, right?

I'm getting Palpatine palpitations just thinking about it...

Haha, well played. :tu:

Interesting...

They do realise that I've owned one for years and could have just sold them mine, right?

Could I borrow it? Or swappsies maybe?

america f*&^ yea coming to save the mother f*&^ing day yea!

jesus.. stop making weapons and help people you selfish a&%holes

america f*&^ yea coming to save the mother f*&^ing day yea!

jesus.. stop making weapons and help people you selfish a&%holes

I'm not sure what help it will be if the Chinese or Islamists were to field such a device first. Unless of course you would prefer them leading the world in their direction?

Being a Bible nerd I immediately thought of Revelation 13:13 "And he performed great and miraculous signs, even causing fire to come down from heaven to earth in full view of men".

the tesla weapon was never going to work.people give tesla way too much cred IMO. he would have never been able to get it to shoot very far. it would have arced to ground near the machine. the laser weapon is way more reliable because it is speed of light. there were stories about a lighning weapon used by the army during the invasion of Iraq. it supposedly melted a bus and armored car....witnesses came forward.

hm.. sounds like it might be a good start for a powerful and accurate means of wireless transmission of electricity ? All "radio" waves are part of the light spectrum.. so are lasers.

Reminds me of the stories of Mjolnir, and Zeus' supposed thunderbolt weapon(s). Although, I don't think Thor supposedly needed the hammer to generate the storms, it just focussed the ability? Probably same for Zeus.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

what bother's me is...when other countries doing like this...the americans try to prevent them...damn...

I think this has been around for quite a while. It is just that they've weaponized the technology now. This kind of laser guided lightning has been around for almost a decade.

The stronger the laser, probably the further you could project the lightning. Probably would work better even in slightly smogy environments, such as urban centers, as there are more particles in the air to become plasma and carry the electricity along.

Makes me think of the Tesla Towers from Command and Conquor. Those things were sweet. Just build walls to channel the enemy, build a large block of these towers and you end up with tons of enemy dead.

Edited by DieChecker