Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Killer Croc breaks record as the largest

skookum

It would seem that Lolong has adapted to capture. The stress of capture is usually tougher on the big ones (oddlyP and there were concerns as to weather he would make it.

I showed my son this Croc, then we got the tape measure out to give him an idea of how big it is. Our tape measure only goes to 5 meters and that's big enough let alone adding the extra 2 meters on top. When you mark out how big this thing is its frightening, It went from the kitchen, down the hallway to the front door (not that that means anything to you lot). If you have got a tape measure handy give it a go...

• Like 1

Thats totally awesome that they didn't kill the beast.

what about Gustave... Thought he was estimated at 25 ft but never captured after many failed attempts.

even ate a hippo!!

Edited by Blazar

I do remember reading a book about crocs when I was at school and that had a photo [circa early 1900s] of two gus who shot this croc which measured at least 30 feet/9m and I have seen this photo pop up on youtube etc and I dont think the original photo was tampered with as it pre-dates all these idiots on the look at me youtube. But now that they are protected in some areas they have a chance to grow to full size so I wouldnt be to amazed to see a salty at 25 to 30 + more often.

What is most impressive is the fact that a reptile of this size will have seen a minimum of two centuries go by. After Crocs reach approximately 12 feet in length they begin to gain massive amounts of weight while slowing in their growth length wise. A salt-water croc in an American zoo that was captured when he was 10 feet, averaged a little under 4 feet every 35 years. He was 17 feet when he died.

What is most impressive is the fact that a reptile of this size will have seen a minimum of two centuries go by. After Crocs reach approximately 12 feet in length they begin to gain massive amounts of weight while slowing in their growth length wise. A salt-water croc in an American zoo that was captured when he was 10 feet, averaged a little under 4 feet every 35 years. He was 17 feet when he died.

This Crocodile was over 200 years old, what a croc!

Is that really possible?

Edited by Junior Chubb

Great pun and yes it is possible. Leaving the slower reptilian metabolism out of the equation you must also consider that along with great life spans the crocodile has no natural predators, it's actually one of the few "keystone" predators that affects water and land habitats equally, but croc's also have stunning immune systems while also having the ability to hibernate during periods of drought. This is one of many reasons why the crocodile remains one of the most unchanged animals through out its evaluation. The design works in a near state of perfection for what it needs to do to survive.

Crocs, like a lot of animals, humans included are not all the same. Just like some humans will be over 6ft tall others will not. Genetics plays a major role in a croc getting this big. I am also not saying a croc couldn't live 200yrs, anything is possible, but no croc has ever been aged even close to that. Their average life span is generally 60 to 70 yrs and thats old for a wild specimen. Crocs do grow fast during their first 10 to 16 years. This is usually how long it takes for saltwater crocs to reach sexual maturity. Growth slows down considerably after that, but does not stop completely. Other things have to be taken into account other than growth rate for a croc to reach 20ft. This croc has to be a very strong genetic specimen. Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe this croc was captured in an area of marshland that was protected by the philippine government. I could be wrong, but I think I read that. The croc has to live in an area that offers long growing seasons, and a plentiful source of food. This croc, once it reached a certain size, was most likely the dominant croc in that area. He had his territory, and being the dominant animal, it would have been the best stretch of river or marsh in the area offering the most food. This would also allow him to grow to tremendous size. Any way you look at it this is an enormous animal and a magnificant specimen.

mike

Great pun and yes it is possible. Leaving the slower reptilian metabolism out of the equation you must also consider that along with great life spans the crocodile has no natural predators, it's actually one of the few "keystone" predators that affects water and land habitats equally, but croc's also have stunning immune systems while also having the ability to hibernate during periods of drought. This is one of many reasons why the crocodile remains one of the most unchanged animals through out its evaluation. The design works in a near state of perfection for what it needs to do to survive.

Crocs, like a lot of animals, humans included are not all the same. Just like some humans will be over 6ft tall others will not. Genetics plays a major role in a croc getting this big. I am also not saying a croc couldn't live 200yrs, anything is possible, but no croc has ever been aged even close to that. Their average life span is generally 60 to 70 yrs and thats old for a wild specimen. Crocs do grow fast during their first 10 to 16 years. This is usually how long it takes for saltwater crocs to reach sexual maturity. Growth slows down considerably after that, but does not stop completely. Other things have to be taken into account other than growth rate for a croc to reach 20ft. This croc has to be a very strong genetic specimen. Also, if I am not mistaken, I believe this croc was captured in an area of marshland that was protected by the philippine government. I could be wrong, but I think I read that. The croc has to live in an area that offers long growing seasons, and a plentiful source of food. This croc, once it reached a certain size, was most likely the dominant croc in that area. He had his territory, and being the dominant animal, it would have been the best stretch of river or marsh in the area offering the most food. This would also allow him to grow to tremendous size. Any way you look at it this is an enormous animal and a magnificant specimen.

mike

Thanks for the replies and the information. Still not sure this Croc' is over 200 years old but I am definitely a bit more educated on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

what about Gustave... Thought he was estimated at 25 ft but never captured after many failed attempts.

Gustave is almost always exaggerated when people talk of his size, especially after Primeval added to his fame. All of the real estimates you'll find on him place him around 20 foot, though he may be pretty similar to the size of this articles beast.

The largest living croc in the world is SUPPOSEDLY in Bhitarkanika National Park in Orissa, but it has yet to be confirmed and is purely anecdotal. Oddly, despite having not been officially measured Guinness recognizes it as well. I can never remember the name as it's simply a local translation of "large crocodile" or some such.

There are numerous skulls remaining that are larger than the skulls of any officially measured crocs, giving reason to the idea that they possibly did come from crocodiles that would have broken the records. This write up gives a lot of great information on the history of crocodile measurements and their accuracy.

http://madrascrocban...crocodiles.html

Edited by BaneSilvermoon