Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Higgs Boson 'God' particle discovered

Saru

Hey! Watch that "nerd-gasms" stuff, my friend. I actually cried when I read the news. I love science, and I am thrilled that this occurred in my lifetime. (Oh, God...I really am a nerd. And probably a dweeb, too. And a dork. :P )

You got to love American culture.

Anyway the God particle violates symmetry so science is in for some huge changes.

Wow. I will not pretend that I know what does it means but recently I read top 5 mysteries in physics one of it was this. And explaining how CERN "ring"was built to found it.

Mission accomplished.

Edited by the L

I feel God also is celebrating!! His children has came a long way and He is delighted that they are finally using their brains in the way that it was intended!!! We still have a long way to go tho....it excites me even more that there was a being called God that used this particle to create such a vast and complicated world and universes beyond and gave us such brains that we too can use to follow our dreams with!!! I am all for that replicator....been wishing for it for a long time.....I hate to cook!!!

I think people were afraid the LHC would create a black hole or something that would gobble up the Earth. :lol:

Maybe it did and we are turned upside down with knowing it :D :D wait no that impossible because it would the opposite of what we are now.. I was broke before I should be rich now.. I'm still broke :P

You got to love American culture.

Anyway the God particle violates symmetry so science is in for some huge changes.

What does American culture have to do with my comments?

Symmetry breaking in this context is how the Higgs Boson bestows mass onto visible matter. The finding solidifies the current standard model theories, meaning, science is in for some *small* changes, depending on the results of subsequent testing.

Some of the diagrams for the particle collision that created the boson do look like the FSM. Coincidence???

so scientists have maybe/probably/definately found the particle god created to hold the universe together. well done. :clap:

so scientists have maybe/probably/definately found the particle god created to hold the universe together. well done. :clap:

When it's time for fairy tale stories, we can let you know, but the adults are talking about real stuff right now so go to your room and play with your crayons :P

• Like 1

First of all, I almost cried at this discovery...

Stephen Hawking lost $100 dollars in a bet over its discovery! This is MONUMENTAL news. Now we can be closer to understanding why matter has mass - which combined with gravity, gives weight to any sort of object. Indeed, the boson is responsible for giving mass to other particles.

This discovery completes the Standard Model for physics; the particle was the only missing particle to complete the equation of the make up of the universe! The Higgs Theory itself explains how particles combined to create stars, terrestrial planets, and even life itself!

Scientists are still determining whether or not the subatomic particle literally is, as described by the Standard Model of physics. If it is not, it could be a slight variation of the Higgs boson or a new subatomic particle all together! And if that is the case, we will have to rethink the structure of matter....

• Like 1

Another new McDonalds product then ! "The particle of God" with fries.

Bear in mind the name "God Particle" was unintended. Rumor has it that when describing the particle, Higgs said to a journalist, "the goddam particle", which the journalist shortened to "the god particle" for political correctness.

• Like 1

First of all, I almost cried at this discovery...

Stephen Hawking lost $100 dollars in a bet over its discovery! This is MONUMENTAL news. Now we can be closer to understanding why matter has mass - which combined with gravity, gives weight to any sort of object. Indeed, the boson is responsible for giving mass to other particles.

This discovery completes the Standard Model for physics; the particle was the only missing particle to complete the equation of the make up of the universe! The Higgs Theory itself explains how particles combined to create stars, terrestrial planets, and even life itself!

Scientists are still determining whether or not the subatomic particle literally is, as described by the Standard Model of physics. If it is not, it could be a slight variation of the Higgs boson or a new subatomic particle all together! And if that is the case, we will have to rethink the structure of matter....

Im failed to understand what they discovered. Can you explain it. Seems that you understand it.

Also can anyone knows name of mountain where Higgs gots his idea? I know its in Scotland.

Im failed to understand what they discovered. Can you explain it. Seems that you understand it.

The basic theory is (as I understand it):

• There are 4 fundamental forces in our Universe as we know it: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force.
  • In quantum field theory each force is associated with one or a collection of bosons: gravitons, photons, (Z,W bosons), gluons.
  • We believe that all 4 fundamental forces are actually related at some level (a ``grand unified theory'')
  • We can see a connection between electromagetism and weak nuclear force, i.e. they appear to be low-energy manifestations of a more general ``electroweak'' force
  • BUT the photon has no mass, and the Z,W bosons do have mass. Why are they different?
  • Higgs (and several others) came up with this explanation: there is an additional force (or quantum field) that couples with the electroweak force. This predicts (via a complicated process) the bosons in electroweak force should turn into 1 massless and 3 massive bosons in the low energy (broken symmetry) version.
  • This looks good: we already know about the weak nuclear force with 3 massive bosons (W+, W-, and Z).
  • If there is this ``Higgs force'' (or Higgs field), it should also have a boson associated with it - the remaining 1 massless boson from the previous point.
  • If we can find this boson, then this is a proof that the electroweak force is real and why some bosons have mass.

Strictly speaking, finding the Higgs boson (which needs to be zero spin, massless, and have a fairly high energy) only proves the electroweak field is valid, and explains why the weak nuclear force bosons have mass.

The Higgs field can help explain why fermions (like electrons, quarks, etc.) also have mass but there is more than one possible way this could happen. In order to prove that the Higgs boson is responsible for all mass they also need to quantify the coupling parameters to the fermion field.

It should also be noted that the Higgs field offers no insight into gravity what-so-ever.

• Like 4

Woot. This is a great day for humanity and for science. We have discovered what could be described as a blank piece in a Scrabble set. With it we can do crazy stuff, teleportation, faster than light travel.... Hurray! Maybe even Time Travel. Shame it'll take many decades, if not centuries, of studying and exploring the particle before we can do cool stuff with it.

Cold Fusion? Sweet. Fusion Power? Goodbye trash problems! Goodbye trash dumps.

Not to mention, awesome new movies.

I read they 'observed' its shadow or footprint so science assumes its the higgs, not very scientific imo but actually observing it is near impossible, what is the higgs, a fundemental particle ? is there a question like where does it come from...how is the higgs created?

so does the discovery mean tat the big bang theory is real? and disproves the God created everything in 7 days theory? a lot of religious people right now are probably trying to prove tat the discovery was false or faked. looks like we found the science loch ness monster

they didnt discovere anything it was already there they just happen to find it

• Like 1

they didnt discovere anything it was already there they just happen to find it

That's what "discover" means! One cannot discover something that doesn't exist!

The basic theory is (as I understand it):

• There are 4 fundamental forces in our Universe as we know it: gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, and strong nuclear force.
  • In quantum field theory each force is associated with one or a collection of bosons: gravitons, photons, (Z,W bosons), gluons.
  • We believe that all 4 fundamental forces are actually related at some level (a ``grand unified theory'')
  • We can see a connection between electromagetism and weak nuclear force, i.e. they appear to be low-energy manifestations of a more general ``electroweak'' force
  • BUT the photon has no mass, and the Z,W bosons do have mass. Why are they different?
  • Higgs (and several others) came up with this explanation: there is an additional force (or quantum field) that couples with the electroweak force. This predicts (via a complicated process) the bosons in electroweak force should turn into 1 massless and 3 massive bosons in the low energy (broken symmetry) version.
  • This looks good: we already know about the weak nuclear force with 3 massive bosons (W+, W-, and Z).
  • If there is this ``Higgs force'' (or Higgs field), it should also have a boson associated with it - the remaining 1 massless boson from the previous point.
  • If we can find this boson, then this is a proof that the electroweak force is real and why some bosons have mass.

Strictly speaking, finding the Higgs boson (which needs to be zero spin, massless, and have a fairly high energy) only proves the electroweak field is valid, and explains why the weak nuclear force bosons have mass.

The Higgs field can help explain why fermions (like electrons, quarks, etc.) also have mass but there is more than one possible way this could happen. In order to prove that the Higgs boson is responsible for all mass they also need to quantify the coupling parameters to the fermion field.

It should also be noted that the Higgs field offers no insight into gravity what-so-ever.

Thanks Sepul. Great sum. Correct me if Im wrong.

I read that we understand 3 of 4 forces. One that dont is gravity.

As I see Higgs compared W and Z particles to Photon, and Photon was used by EM force and W and Z particles with WN force. What are connection with EM and WN force? What is Elektoweak force?

This Higgs field is around universe and full of bosons who gave mass to Quarks and Leptons and from mass we have everything including mass. So how boson "gave" mass? Is this some kind of force?

This field is created after big bang after particles and forces being unified took another "paths" and traits. What happend how it was created that Higgs field?

Millions years ago Higgs field was created particles wnt trough and we got masses? Is this simple version?

"If the particle was shown not to exist, it would have meant tearing up the Standard Model and going back to the drawing board."

So, they're saying that this is god particle, the last particle to be discovered. The mother of all particles..........

"If the particle was shown not to exist, it would have meant tearing up the Standard Model and going back to the drawing board."

So, they're saying that this is god particle, the last particle to be discovered. The mother of all particles..........

The short answer? No, they are not.

I'm glad the god damned particle has been found. It's about god damned time. Took god damned long enough if you ask me.

:D

In any case, I'm halfway disappointed. It'd have been just as amazing if they hadn't found it, if not more so. That's where nobel prizes are made after all.

Great now they gona mess with it and mass will expand at almost light speed from one single point destroying everything in its path for light years can some one tell me is what it means ?