Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

US government: "mermaids don't exist"

Saru

Total BS something is being covered up again. What a the video that was shot on the beach and the unknown sounds recorded this is not whales or dolpins. New unknown sea creature.

For those having a pop at the American government about this, please read the article. This is not a sudden nationwide announcement like calling in Marshall law, or Barack Obama doing an emergency press conference on the White House lawn. Because some plonkers who watch the Discovery Channel now believe Mermaids are real they wrote to the National Ocean Service asking if Mermaids are real, they responded with an online comment stating that there is 'probably' no such thing as mermaids.

Get a grip, there is nothing going on here except a quirky news story and a dumb general public.

• Like 1

Total BS something is being covered up again. What a the video that was shot on the beach and the unknown sounds recorded this is not whales or dolpins. New unknown sea creature.

What video?

For those having a pop at the American government about this, please read the article. This is not a sudden nationwide announcement like calling in Marshall law, or Barack Obama doing an emergency press conference on the White House lawn. Because some plonkers who watch the Discovery Channel now believe Mermaids are real they wrote to the National Ocean Service asking if Mermaids are real, they responded with an online comment stating that there is 'probably' no such thing as mermaids.

At least thousands of Americans now know we have a National Ocean Service. It's a department of the better-known NOAA.

At least thousands of Americans now know we have a National Ocean Service. It's a department of the better-known NOAA.

True, my worry is that they may now get inundated with more trivial enquiries. I will expect an announcement about Caddy next week :tu:

• Like 1

Mermaids? History suggests that perhaps these mermaids were actually Dugongs the naval men would have a romp with. Not to say one way or the other, but just another POV

Mermaids? History suggests that perhaps these mermaids were actually Dugongs the naval men would have a romp with. Not to say one way or the other, but just another POV

Well well well, the nasty side effects of banning homosexuality in the Navy back in the day...

Edited by Junior Chubb

Naval men during these times bit the pillow anyways during this time.

Naval men during these times bit the pillow anyways during this time.

I'm sure there was many a 'Rear Admiral' in the Navy, but the punishments back then were very severe. Your comment made me think it might well have been safer going for bestiality over homosexuality then making up some Mermaid malarkey if you got caught.

Edited by Junior Chubb

"most likely" don't exist? What does that mean?

It probably means that the US goverment does believe why take the time & money to say they dont, or they are most likely up to something like always and need us to look the other way.

If this is not a wake up call that Nat Geo TV is a pale weak comparison with the magazine I do not know what would be. Nat Geo should be ashamed of that show seeing the response.

Nat Geo should have been made to foot any bills associated with any studies involved, and advertising to correct their stupid information.

Mermaids are cool as, I love them, what red blooded man would not want topless beauties prancing around out oceans? I reckon I would be doing a lot of fishing if Mermaids were real.

I heard a hypothesis on Mermaids that I think is better then the old Manatee hypothesis, whereby sailors are suspected to have accidentally crossed paths with Ama's. or female japanese peral divers who could hold their breath for unusual amounts of time. A sailor could be cruising the sea of Japan and up out of nowhere pops a beautiful mostly naked woman. Ahh the sailors life :D

• Like 1

I heard a hypothesis on Mermaids that I think is better then the old Manatee hypothesis, whereby sailors are suspected to have accidentally crossed paths with Ama's. or female japanese peral divers who could hold their breath for unusual amounts of time. A sailor could be cruising the sea of Japan and up out of nowhere pops a beautiful mostly naked woman. Ahh the sailors life :D

That is much more appealing than the Manatee hypothesis :)

If this is not a wake up call that Nat Geo TV is a pale weak comparison with the magazine I do not know what would be. Nat Geo should be ashamed of that show seeing the response.

Nat Geo should have been made to foot any bills associated with any studies involved, and advertising to correct their stupid information.

Mermaids are cool as, I love them, what red blooded man would not want topless beauties prancing around out oceans? I reckon I would be doing a lot of fishing if Mermaids were real.

What ever happened to honest underwater exploration TV like Jacques Cousteau back in the 1970s, 80's and 90's? Why do they have to make stuff up, computer generate it and push it off as Real?

I'd not like mermaids if they were the flesh eating kind, like in the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

What ever happened to honest underwater exploration TV like Jacques Cousteau back in the 1970s, 80's and 90's? Why do they have to make stuff up, computer generate it and push it off as Real?

Viewing figures, poor research, lack of ideas, gullible public, channel padding, I am sure the list goes on...

seem's strange. why take the time o tell the public that they are not real? also the cdc they don't know what would cause the dead to rise but never said what can cause people to go crazy and eat other people.

also they said there is no conclusive proff to deny the exsist. so they could. not saying they do or don't. but theres stll alot we don't know about our ocean.

we may never know.

• Like 1

That theory does sound a lot more realistic.

seem's strange. why take the time o tell the public that they are not real? also the cdc they don't know what would cause the dead to rise but never said what can cause people to go crazy and eat other people.

also they said there is no conclusive proff to deny the exsist. so they could. not saying they do or don't. but theres stll alot we don't know about our ocean.

we may never know.

Yip, usual specifically chosen words.

Sheesh. All anyone needs to do is go to IMDB and search for the name of that special. It's a mockumentary, dudes. The real mystery is, why is the US govt. wasting money on issuing stupid statements informing people about a movie that anyone can find out is pure fiction? I wonder how many hungry Americans that money could have fed...

Sheesh. All anyone needs to do is go to IMDB and search for the name of that special. It's a mockumentary, dudes. The real mystery is, why is the US govt. wasting money on issuing stupid statements informing people about a movie that anyone can find out is pure fiction? I wonder how many hungry Americans that money could have fed...

This is no mystery, see my earlier post...

I thought this was an odd thing to officially announce... along with the zombies. Either mermaids do exist or bath salts will turn you into a blood thirsty freak from Florida.... too soon??

Part of the programming issues has to do with companies owning several different channels and putting out cheapfodder at lowest denominator selection. I will say at least they conducted the study on the carcass fairly reasonably from what I recall, and the based it off of the (debunked but once plausible) aquatic ape hypothesis.

This probably didn't cost NOAA more than it takes to sit an intern down at a typewriter er... computer and have them type up and print out a statement.

Probably less time wasted than individually responding to each of the letters they receive asking if the program was true. NOAA tends to be one of our underfunded agencies, if I recall correctly.

Luckily the military is keep our oil safe.

Edit: Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Edited by ShadowSot
  • Like 1

for once I believe the US government

Ok I watch this TV again the other night. What a waste of time. This is not real proof of Mermaid or Mermen. With all the fishing with nets and underwater studies that have and are being done why hasn't any been caught or or a picture taken. There is not prove in the skeletal records. None have washed ashore.

If this was true it would have been all over the news. Why all at once this video sohws up? I think animal planet is having a good laugh on us.