Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

a question for the knowledgeable

questionmark

That's not exactly correct, considering the fact that within the supposed future we will have the Andromeda and milky way galaxies colliding with one another. So it does have an actual center if you will, much like a slingshot does.

No, you are confusing "Universe" with "galaxy".

The balloon analogy doesn't really work when explaining the universe. When scientist talk of the expanding universe and big bang, the expansion in this case also means expanding through time. The universe is measured in 4 dimensions, not 3, you have to account for time. It gets very complicated and is not an easy concept to grasp, especially when dealing with it on the scale of the universe.

I think the ballloon analogy works ok, but perhaps describing the Universe like an onion is better.

The 3-space component of the Universe are the layers, each layer represents the Universe at a given time.

In dynamic, continuous 4+1 space-time (or any N+M space-time, for that matter) there is a centre to the Universe; in our case that would be the instant of the big bang; that location exists but it is in the distant past.

So where did the BB come from ? what is outside of the BB or Universe? How did it come from nothing?

"So where did the BB come from"

There would have to been a ddesignerif you will (Outside the constraints of Time as we know it), regardless of anyway you look at it....

"what is outside of the BB or Universe"

Eternity or no "Time"....I was watching Stephen Hawking once and he clearly said that if there were a "God" or "creator" he would have to exist outside the realm of time.....well duh Mr Hawkin'....lol. The concept of "Time" began at the beginning THIS Universe.

"How did it come from nothing?"

Any honest person will tell you it is simply impossible regardless of what they believe, however I will say that a couple have explained that to me before, BUT the chances of it are pretty much void and even if it did, I quickly pointed out that no complex life would/could exist within such a "Universe".

No, you are confusing "Universe" with "galaxy".

No, those "galaxies" are contained within THE "universe", not outside

No, those "galaxies" are contained within THE "universe", not outside

Precisely, that is why although the Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy can have an unambiguous centre (perhaps the centre of mass, or the centre of gravity, etc.), or even the two paired together could have an unambiguous centre, the Universe does not have an unambiguous centre that exists within the space-like portion at any given time.