Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunting the Chinese 'Wild Man'

Saru

A team of 38 researchers is planning an expedition to find evidence of China's answer to the Yeti.

For centuries, the villagers around the Shennongjia forest of China's central Hubei province, a forbidding 1,000 square mile reserve of high mountains and deep forests, have believed that the "Wild Man", or Yeren, lives among them.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

A team of 38 researchers is planning an expedition to find evidence of China's answer to the Yeti.

It's a familiar headline now. I hope they succeed but I'm not too hopeful.

Hopefully we shall get some interesting results.

Another waste of time and resources.

Wonder what they are going to do if they find one? Are going to kill it? Capture it and do testing it creature? Why can't they just leave it alone?

It's funny how wandering off into the wild, looking for something that doesn't exist automatically makes you a "researcher". I want to be a researcher. I think tomorrow I will ramble off into the wilds of south Mississippi and look for the very rare, undocumented, little known blue backed pickle monster. Ok, now I can be a researcher.

Mike

It's funny how wandering off into the wild, looking for something that doesn't exist automatically makes you a "researcher". I want to be a researcher. I think tomorrow I will ramble off into the wilds of south Mississippi and look for the very rare, undocumented, little known blue backed pickle monster. Ok, now I can be a researcher.

Mike

Don't stop there, Mike. You can be an author and tv star too, don't forget. Even a...............filmmaker! So don't waste any time. Andele!

If you would read the article they ARE researchers "...drawn from several Chinese universities and research institutes"

I wish some people would at least take the time to read the FULL article before commenting on UM topics.

If you would read the article they ARE researchers "...drawn from several Chinese universities and research institutes"

I wish some people would at least take the time to read the FULL article before commenting on UM topics.

I am sure they are researchers in their own right, but when you go looking for a mythical creature, then you stop being a researcher and start being a hiker with a vivd imagination.

Mike

Mike

Hmmmmm? Ok, so if I form a "research" organization, then I can take a huge tax write off for my equipment, travel expenses, food and gear, right? I should have thought of this years ago. Take a few pictuires of fuzzy, out of focus blobs; post a video or two that don't show much on the web, create a site and suddenly I'm an organization. Wonder if I should claim to be non-profit? I could ask for donations. Christ, I could have a reality TV show!........oh wait, that's been done already. Bugger!

From the OP article:

"I've visited every place where the Wild Man was reported in China. I've studied everything related to the Wild Man including hair, skulls and specimens. All of them are dyed human hair or come from monkeys and bears."

He said the local government in Hubei was simply trying to drum up tourist revenue. And indeed the Shennongjia reserve has recently signed agreements with Beijing to help promote package holidays to the area for nature lovers ... and yeti hunters.

So UM skeptics are not alone.

Gee, I hope the team doesn't do any ground checks....."Oops! Anybody got a shovel?"

Edited by QuiteContrary

Mike

ive seen tat monster before! when i was hiking through the woods, i heard a strange squishing sound and saw the back of a blue zuchini monster thing! it reared up its big head and roared at me! lol its so easy to fake these reports.

I like how people come on unexplained mysteries.com but don't like a good unexplained mystery....

Who said we didn't like it? Trouble is........if you'd check..........this is simply the latest in a string of expeditions to search for this particular beast. So far they really don't have much as a result. They allegdedly have some hair samples they can't determine the source for, that doesn't mean by default that they're from the "Wild Man". They could be from another as yet undiscovered monkey or some other creature.....OR, they simply might not be able to figure out exactly what it's from.......might be human for all we know.

Personally, I wish I could go with them on the trip to see for myself, because I love a good mystery and I'd love to spend time out in the wilds of China hiking about.

ive seen tat monster before! when i was hiking through the woods, i heard a strange squishing sound and saw the back of a blue zuchini monster thing! it reared up its big head and roared at me! lol its so easy to fake these reports.

Probably two gay guys have sex in the bushes, that's why I stay out of the parks any more...........and that blue Zuchini........well, that wasn't produce most likely. Know what I mean?

Edited by keninsc

Would be great if they found one but I'm not going to hold my breath. The only evidence everyone is going to buy is one captured live or they kill one. I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.

Would be great if they found one but I'm not going to hold my breath. The only evidence everyone is going to buy is one captured live or they kill one. I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.

I completely agree, I'd love to see one if it's real, but not holding my breath either. Sadly, the only way anyone is going to believe it is if they catch one or kill one. Now, assuming, they are real and as large and strong as legend claims then shooting one might be the only real option. However, I fear that as soon as the first one shows up then the scientific community will not buy into it until they have more than one because one could just be a freak of nature, or some genetic mutation.

I like how people come on unexplained mysteries.com but don't like a good unexplained mystery....

As a newbie, I'm afraid that you're going to have to adjust to the curious fact that this site - the Cryptozoology section of it at least - is run by, and for, Career Cynics. These are people who seem to derive endless pleasure from posting dismissive sarcastic one-liners to any and every unexplained creature topic that arises, and quite without discrimination.

I've pondered long and hard as to why this curious situation should be. Lately I have concluded that these Career Cynics belong entirely to the Internet generation and, without having read much hard copy journalism or research into the Unexplained in advance -they came onto this site in order to find evidence of the unexplained. Naturally they were then met with a welter of easily punctured postings from wackos and timewasters... you know, obviously hoaxed pictures from Youtube, etc, etc So they soon became jaded and weary of it all. However, being Internet-babies, rather than merely leaving the site, they stayed on as Career Cynics and promoted this with the zeal of the converted.

Now excuse my innocence but I had thought that the purpose of sites such as these was to discuss unexplained issues that you had already encountered elsewhere either on or offline, and not to provide such evidence, at least not on its own! (I myself was reading about Paranormal issues when the Internet was but a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee eye. I had already exposed myself to sceptical positions, but had decided that there was still something in some issues and wanted to discuss these intelligently with other like-minded people - the cynical one liners I can get any day of the week from ordinary people around me).

Now don't get me wrong: there is a much needed role for scepticism. I would even go so far as to say that some contributions by OrangePeaceful -now there's a guy you're going to get to know -have been constructive. However, there is a qualitiative difference between mere cynicism and scepticism : you can see it in the tone. Cynics are always sarcastic and they love oneline contributions that say nothing except express their negative state of mind.

These contributions, so repetitive and predictable, do have the desired effect: they are as wearying as the wacko believers. I myself joined this site with high expectations but now only post occasionally as I already know what kind of response any remark I make will get.So it's a bit of a war of attrition, and one that the Career Cynics are winning (on this site). I do hope you will keep with us and not let them dampen your curiosity - there are some open-minded enquirers on this site, but it's just that we post less.

Welcome to U.M!

• Like 1

I have to admit it would be fun looking for one.

It's a blast. I learn something new everytime out.

As a newbie, I'm afraid that you're going to have to adjust to the curious fact that this site - the Cryptozoology section of it at least - is run by, and for, Career Cynics. These are people who seem to derive endless pleasure from posting dismissive sarcastic one-liners to any and every unexplained creature topic that arises, and quite without discrimination.

I've pondered long and hard as to why this curious situation should be. Lately I have concluded that these Career Cynics belong entirely to the Internet generation and, without having read much hard copy journalism or research into the Unexplained in advance -they came onto this site in order to find evidence of the unexplained. Naturally they were then met with a welter of easily punctured postings from wackos and timewasters... you know, obviously hoaxed pictures from Youtube, etc, etc So they soon became jaded and weary of it all. However, being Internet-babies, rather than merely leaving the site, they stayed on as Career Cynics and promoted this with the zeal of the converted.

Now excuse my innocence but I had thought that the purpose of sites such as these was to discuss unexplained issues that you had already encountered elsewhere either on or offline, and not to provide such evidence, at least not on its own! (I myself was reading about Paranormal issues when the Internet was but a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee eye. I had already exposed myself to sceptical positions, but had decided that there was still something in some issues and wanted to discuss these intelligently with other like-minded people - the cynical one liners I can get any day of the week from ordinary people around me).

Now don't get me wrong: there is a much needed role for scepticism. I would even go so far as to say that some contributions by OrangePeaceful -now there's a guy you're going to get to know -have been constructive. However, there is a qualitiative difference between mere cynicism and scepticism : you can see it in the tone. Cynics are always sarcastic and they love oneline contributions that say nothing except express their negative state of mind.

These contributions, so repetitive and predictable, do have the desired effect: they are as wearying as the wacko believers. I myself joined this site with high expectations but now only post occasionally as I already know what kind of response any remark I make will get.So it's a bit of a war of attrition, and one that the Career Cynics are winning (on this site). I do hope you will keep with us and not let them dampen your curiosity - there are some open-minded enquirers on this site, but it's just that we post less.

Welcome to U.M!

Wow! You really are a virgin in a whorehouse, aren't you? I hope you'll see past the old farts here and learn to use the ignore feature, if not then it's been a slice.

Welcome to U.M!

Good post, you make some spot on observations.

I can only speak for myself. I'm not saying my opinion is somehow the decent, noble, or best way, but it is the way it is for me:

I was once a dyed-in-the-wool believer.

However, now as a skeptic, I realize, oftentimes paranormal or cryptid accounts are so vacant they come off as a joke on and targeted to skeptics to rile things up. Or, to laugh at believers.

OP’s are asked questions, yet no pertinent information or pictures follow. Many it seems are not looking for a conversation/answers.

I can’t help but picture a couple of people sitting around a computer expecting to get a good laugh on those who reply to their OP.

And so after a while these frequent OP's become 'The boy who cried “Wolf!” (or “Werewolf!”)' over and over. We run and look but there is no wolf to be seen or any evidence of a wolf.

They meld into one long joke on those who choose to reply to the OP both skeptic and believer, again imo.

But admittedly, not all OP’s come off that way and a few are thick-skinned and open to a two-sided conversation.

I personally like a site where those who would cry "Foul!", do so. There are sites where all agree, however.

But they aren't humorless/free of sarcasm either, they like to make fun at what the skeptics think.

P.S. Why read on UM and other similar sites? Because I do have a genuine interest in and enjoy reading about some topics. Including, accounts and throwing some options the believers’ way.

Is it getting old? In a way, yes. And I’m probably overdue for a new interest.