Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunting the Chinese 'Wild Man'

Saru

P.S. Why read on UM and other similar sites? Because I do have a genuine interest in and enjoy reading about some topics. Including, accounts and throwing some options the believers’ way.

Is it getting old? In a way, yes. And I’m probably overdue for a new interest.

We all have our own beliefs and interests. I'm not here to be a mentor to anyone, but rather to try and see what's out there. Who knows?

We all have our own beliefs and interests. I'm not here to be a mentor to anyone, but rather to try and see what's out there. Who knows?

I only spoke for myself. Sure, "see what's out there. Who knows?" comes into play for me too. That's part of my interest.

I didn't mean i was a mentor by 'offering options'. Just simply options/other explanations for possible consideration.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I only spoke for myself. Sure, "see what's out there. Who knows?" comes into play for me too. That's part of my interest.

I didn't mean i was a mentor by 'offering options'. Just simply options/other explanations for possible consideration.

Oh I know. I do mostly the same thing. Although, I wish I'd have gotten dialed into all this when I was younger. I'm getting a little too old to go hiking off the beaten trails looking for a Bigfoot or anything else. My knees and body just aren't what they used to be any more. However, in all my years of hiking, hunting and "exploring" I've yet to encounter a Bigfoot or find any sign of one, although once I did encounter a smell while hunting, never heard anything or saw anything, but in later years there were several reports of a creature and near that area was where one of my friends claimed to have seen one. I like to keep the door open because who knows?

Good thinking CVM, Owen. For the most part I agree with your analogy. Skepticism a good quality and tool by which to observe and learn. Some people realize the place for cynicism. I look at it this way; we have entered an age where people are empowered by the perceived anonymity created by the feeling they are isolated & protected by the blind silence of their monitors and keyboards, when in reality, thousands of people are analyzing and passing judgement on what they write. Mike and Kenisc are typical examples of those whom frequent the blogs, steeped in indoctrination that gives a false sense of truth, superiority and seemingly inherent knowledge which is only a facade supported by a generous amount of cognitive dissonance. Anyway, skepticism is an important tool that is strengthened immensely because of the computer age. It is possible to source and verify all information that appears on the web or in your e-mail box. Including any and all information that you have ever been taught during your life. That's the part I love. As for the Wildman of China, or other cryptids, whose to say that, if they do exist, they are not more intelligent than humans. Just because some automatically think that a human is the most intelligent being on the planet, does not necessarily mean that he is. There are tons of information out there that suggest that this type of cryptid is very intelligent and possibly even has the capability of using wormholes. For example, read the skinwalker ranch transcripts. No corroborating proof yet. We're all aware of the fact that overzealous people will hoax information just for the purpose of joining the ranks of those claiming to have a very exciting or terrifying experience. Yes, being skeptical is a good thing but just remember, it only takes one legitimate sighting to make any claim valid.

In mind is like a parachute, must be open to work.

In mind is like a parachute, must be open to work.

True, however if your mind is too open then you risk having your brains fall out on the floor.

Mike and Kenisc are typical examples of those whom frequent the blogs, steeped in indoctrination that gives a false sense of truth, superiority and seemingly inherent knowledge which is only a facade supported by a generous amount of cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements. An example of this would be the conflict between wanting to smoke and knowing that smoking is unhealthy; a person may try to change their feelings about the odds that they will actually suffer the consequences, or they might add the consonant element that the smoking is worth short term benefits. A general view of cognitive dissonance is when one is biased towards a certain decision even though other factors favour an alternative.

The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse. Cognitive dissonance is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

Just goes to show that you really don't know anything about me or you knopw that Mike and I don't share the same level of disbelief, but don't let that stop you Sunshine.

Edited by keninsc

Career cynic here, although I would prefer the term career skeptic or realist. You could easily shut me up by offering some real, testable, scientific evidence. Until you do, all of these sightings, grainy videos and footprint castings are just campfire stories.

Hmmmmm? Ok, so if I form a "research" organization, then I can take a huge tax write off for my equipment, travel expenses, food and gear, right? I should have thought of this years ago. Take a few pictuires of fuzzy, out of focus blobs; post a video or two that don't show much on the web, create a site and suddenly I'm an organization. Wonder if I should claim to be non-profit? I could ask for donations. Christ, I could have a reality TV show!........oh wait, that's been done already. Bugger!

Probably two gay guys have sex in the bushes, that's why I stay out of the parks any more...........and that blue Zuchini........well, that wasn't produce most likely. Know what I mean?

Your WIKI defination...........................

Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment. The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements. An example of this would be the conflict between wanting to smoke and knowing that smoking is unhealthy; a person may try to change their feelings about the odds that they will actually suffer the consequences, or they might add the consonant element that the smoking is worth short term benefits. A general view of cognitive dissonance is when one is biased towards a certain decision even though other factors favour an alternative.

The phrase was coined by Leon Festinger in his 1956 book When Prophecy Fails, which chronicled the followers of a UFO cult as reality clashed with their fervent belief in an impending apocalypse. Cognitive dissonance is one of the most influential and extensively studied theories in social psychology.

I'm thrilled to see you are so knowledgable about researchers, but copy & paste does not necessarily indicate critical reading. Read further, at least to.......

"Cognitive dissonance is a discomfort caused by holding conflicting cognitions (e.g., ideas, beliefs, values, emotional reactions) simultaneously. In a state of dissonance, people may feel surprise, dread, guilt, anger, or embarrassment.[1] The theory of cognitive dissonance in social psychology proposes that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by altering existing cognitions, adding new ones to create a consistent belief system, or alternatively by reducing the importance of any one of the dissonant elements.[1] An example of this would be the conflict between wanting to smoke and knowing that smoking is unhealthy; a person may try to change their feelings about the odds that they will actually suffer the consequences, or they might add the consonant element that the smoking is worth short term benefits. A general view of cognitive dissonance is when one is biased towards a certain decision even though other factors favour an alternative."

If researchers are so insignificant that you could easily do better with your obviously superior qualifications, maybe you could use those reasearch abilities to learn more about CD.

Wow, you're still talking? Kudos on fianlly joining the discussions.

I always copy and paste references, that way they don't get misquoted.

maybe you could use those reasearch abilities to learn more about CD.

Why would I wish to learn more about something I'm all too familar with?

.....unless you're talking about cross dressing?

I've not seen any of the old timers who "run" this section in this thread yet. :innocent:

Personnally, I think they are chasing after something based on reality, maybe a disfigured/diseased human, or an actual "wild" man that grew up away from civilization. But I do believe it most likely is a human.

Down the possibilities list, there is the possiblility of a relic population of homonids. Maybe Neanderthal, or maybe some other early human.

What I do not think bigfoot is, is a simple ape, like gigantopithicus.

1000 sq miles?? That is small enough that you could drive around it in 3 hours. That is a box 32 miles on a side. Not really very big. At least it is of a size that they can expect to look it over in a reasonable amount of time.

I suppose most anything is possible really, but then one has to also consider the likelihood of a humanoid like creature, I mean don't get me wrong, we can't know everything about everything and new species are being discovered. Just in 2010 a new species of monkey was found. Here's the link: http://news.national...cience-animals/

So, who knows?

Edited by keninsc

What will happen when/if they find one? I think they will do as we (humans) usally do, cut it open just to see how it look likes inside - or put it on a zoo. We humans are disgusting!!

They won't find anything. If by some miracle they do find something, it will end up being dissected and studied as it should be. We humans are awesome!!

I've not seen any of the old timers who "run" this section in this thread yet. :innocent:

You mean I was "running" this section all along and didn't know it? Thanks for the heads up... :lol:

Personnally, I think they are chasing after something based on reality, maybe a disfigured/diseased human, or an actual "wild" man that grew up away from civilization. But I do believe it most likely is a human.

Down the possibilities list, there is the possiblility of a relic population of homonids. Maybe Neanderthal, or maybe some other early human.

What I do not think bigfoot is, is a simple ape, like gigantopithicus.

From the evidence I've gathered so far I would say it's an ancestor of man in the Gorilla clade, but not simple. I was told a couple of years ago it's a most unlikely creature to exist. I did some research and found that to be "not a fact".

I went looking for evidence and found it. Dumb luck strikes again. If you want evidence, you'll have to go looking for it because you'll never in a million years find compelling evidence sitting at your computer....

just sayin

You mean I was "running" this section all along and didn't know it? Thanks for the heads up... :lol:

From the evidence I've gathered so far I would say it's an ancestor of man in the Gorilla clade, but not simple. I was told a couple of years ago it's a most unlikely creature to exist. I did some research and found that to be "not a fact".

I went looking for evidence and found it. Dumb luck strikes again. If you want evidence, you'll have to go looking for it because you'll never in a million years find compelling evidence sitting at your computer....

just sayin

Lots of people will tell you it is impossible, but I am not one of those people. Many of the arguements that are used to "Proove" that bigfoot is not real fall on their face when examined. The only real bigfoot killer is the lack of bones or a living specimen.

What will happen when/if they find one? I think they will do as we (humans) usally do, cut it open just to see how it look likes inside - or put it on a zoo. We humans are disgusting!!

That's the way of being a newly discovered creature, you get sliced and diced. But what if they do find one? It's just another creature in the wild. Odds are they won't because they have not found any evidence i.e. bones of a dead one or any thing in the fossil record to suggest there was ever a creature like it in North America. Now, having said all that, what evidence I have seen is largely pretty easy to duplicate. However, has it ever struck anyone as odd that all the footprint casts seem to be of a creature standing? I mean there never seems to be a push off impression like with a human, it's almost always flat. Try this, take your shoes off sometime and take a walk in an area with loose soil or sand like a river bed or the beach and then make a plaster cast of the print you made. Just walk normally or maybe briskly, you see when the cast sets up that you left a push off impression when your foot rotated as you were taking the next step and it's not going to look all nice and flat like you often see on Bigfoot casts. If you want to compare to see the difference then by all means stand in place for a couple minutes then cast that one for comparison and you'll see that what I'm saying should be painfully obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

I like how people come on unexplained mysteries.com but don't like a good unexplained mystery....

Yeah whats with all these people that just scoff at these things.

I'd love to know what China finds. If they find the Yeren or prove of it will be another win for cryptozoology.