Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did most dinosaurs have feathers ?

Saru

A new well preserved fossil find suggests that feathered dinosaurs may have been a common sight.

Feathers didn’t start with birds. Plumage of various sorts - from simple fuzz to the complex structures used for flight - adorned dinosaurs first, and was only later inherited by birds.

arrow3.gifRead more...

I wonder if the feathers were colored? The idea of a 'pretty' Velociraptor is kinda distrubing actually!

• Like 1

I imagine some are going to look quite strange now xD.

I wonder if the feathers were colored? The idea of a 'pretty' Velociraptor is kinda distrubing actually!

I wonder if the plumage differed between the sexes

Actually, I feel like a featherd velociraptor would look somewhat like a turkey.

Well I'd guess so, birds use coloured feathers for show or to warn other animals. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was any colour

I'd like to see a bright pink velociraptor.

One day... my dreams will come true.

I hope your dreams do come true bro.. but I want to see a whole pace of multi-colored raptors.. flash mobing.

*pack

Somehow the thought of tyrannosaurus Rex with feathers just doesn't seem right.

yea a pink feathered T-Rex would be disturbing. especially when its roaring for flesh and meat meh...

It doesn't seem right to me either.

I could understand why some of the smaller dinosaurs would have feathers, but I couldnt see a reason for the bigger ones to need them... its kinda like asking someone to picture a rino with feathers... weird!

It doesn't seem right to me either.

Come on guys, I can quite easily picture T-Rex with pink feathers....

bolan.jpg

• Like 3

I've said this on an earlier thread -

I understand that the current theory about 'Raptors appearance supports feathers - and maybe they did..

But I sure like the look of the earlier concept better!

feathers on dinosaurs has been proven for quite some time now...as to every which one that had them cannot be proven, but its not a new concept at all - in fact its been proven for over a decade or longer. I've seen several documentaries that even had feathers on the heads and necks of Trex....and to me that seems suspect. From one standpoint, proportion of feathers and their function in respect and two, I don't believe that the feathers would adorn the heads and necks of these types of carnivores much like we see on todays buzzards. the heads and necks are actually void of feathers due to their eating habits and being free of food, bacteria and mess that would accumulate while feeding. I've seen the raptor fossils where feathers are prominent around the limbs and such, but it was an evolutionary stage, where several other breeds of larger raptors didn't have them. Birds evolved from dinosaurs, no doubt, and feathers were an integral step in that direction. my two worthless cents. LOL

I know they were able to tell some colors from well preserved fossils, I think the resultant color was a ruddy red color.

Ah, here we are: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/02/dinosaur-fossil-reveals-true-feather-colors/

Yutyrannus2.jpg

New smaller Trex found in China....Yutyrannus

yutyrannus_XING-1-639x1024.jpg

Scientists discovered feathered dinosaurs going on over 20 years ago now.

Edited by Sheetz

Feathers are a fancy hair, right? So.. they most likely evolved from simpler hair? Interesting that some were hairy and fuzzy and feathery and probably leathery... and not all were scaly .

Feathers are a fancy hair, right? So.. they most likely evolved from simpler hair? Interesting that some were hairy and fuzzy and feathery and probably leathery... and not all were scaly .

I had a check, and it looks like there's a split on how feathers developed. On the one hand they evolved from scales, which is what I've heard.

However it looks like a new theory is that they evolved separately from follicles as part of thermoregulation. Wish I was subscribed to a journal, to bloody expensive if I'm not in the field though.

• Like 1

New study of melanosomes has actually allowed us to learn some dinosaur plumage colours. Here's an example, Anchiornis huxleyi : Anchiornis%20huxleyi.jpg

New study of melanosomes has actually allowed us to learn some dinosaur plumage colours. Here's an example, Anchiornis huxleyi : Anchiornis%20huxleyi.jpg

Hey, I already posted that!

;)

Get used to it. Yutyrannus huali was discovered in China a few months ago.

120404-LidaDino-BANNER.jpg

Hey, I already posted that!

;)

Oh, ha, I apologize! I didn't notice!