Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

do you think some people have special powers

graybeauty

I'm not sure about that but I do believe that some people have a real gift of making people feel loved or comforted.

• Like 3

If you're even bored, you might google "Maximillian Langsner". I believe his case to be a documented case of mental telepathy.

• Like 2

If you're even bored, you might google "Maximillian Langsner". I believe his case to be a documented case of mental telepathy.

You're right. It does seem that he had this ability and proved it with results. Impressive.

Most cases (not all, there are "anomalies") of people reading other people's minds are more about "empathy" or being able to put themselves in others shoes and intuit based on the other person's personality what they are thinking.

There are also many cases of this being "wishful thinking" and even paranoia, imagining that we know what others are thinking or imagining what others could be thinking - these types usually believe people think the worst or best about them and are likely wrong on both accounts.

There is anecdotal evidence of some people with gifts but it is so rare that it is best to consider the above options first and be absolutely sure they don't apply before entertaining the idea that anyone we know personally has such "gifts" imo.

Prehaps.

There is after all, that man who can run nonstop in the cold.

Yes

I think some people are more intuitive and intelligent, and are able to pick up signs through smell, body language, and even sight as well as other ways that other people wouldn't notice. Sometimes people who are synesthesics (example: people who hear lights, or see a certain color everytime they taste something) pick up information that other people who aren't synesthesics wouldn't notice.

However, that wouldn't explain those people who can sense things over long distances about people they've never met personally.

• Like 3

like being able to know what others are thinking in their mind?

Yes

There is an ever growing number of people who are Telepathic.

• Like 1

like being able to know what others are thinking in their mind?

.........No. I honestly do not see any reliable proof that would compel me to think otherwise.

It is "possible" but from what I have seen and observed, it is often faked or is a result of paranoia or coincidence.

People in general seem to be able to pick up subtle cues from their surroundings to give them a overall view of a situation...this is a normal sensing ability that most creatures have as part of their survival mechanism. But psychic abilities? I need far more proof.

Yes

There is an ever growing number of people who are Telepathic.

John, what makes you say this? I've been wondering whether there has been an increase in "paranormal" phenomena among the general population. There has been in my family, and I've wondered whether this is a general trend, and if so, why.

I'm not sure about that but I do believe that some people have a real gift of making people feel loved or comforted.

For me, this is the most valuable gift of all. If people would use their ESP, telepathy, empathy, clairvoyance, etc. to do this, the world would be a better place.

• Like 1

You're right. It does seem that he had this ability and proved it with results. Impressive.

Thanks, and then. I got my information from Frank Edward's "Strange People", and he seems (unlike so many others) to document his cases, and give references, etc. (They didn't have the internet in his day, boo hoo.) I know there are also many books published that are just so much c**p, if you know what I mean.

Most cases (not all, there are "anomalies") of people reading other people's minds are more about "empathy" or being able to put themselves in others shoes and intuit based on the other person's personality what they are thinking.

There are also many cases of this being "wishful thinking" and even paranoia, imagining that we know what others are thinking or imagining what others could be thinking - these types usually believe people think the worst or best about them and are likely wrong on both accounts.

There is anecdotal evidence of some people with gifts but it is so rare that it is best to consider the above options first and be absolutely sure they don't apply before entertaining the idea that anyone we know personally has such "gifts" imo.

I certainly agree that one should exercise caution...just don't believe everything, because the quacks/charlatans/hoaxers certainly ARE out there. And imo do they ever muddy the waters!

• Like 1

I do not think anyone has special powers, like being able to know what others are thinking in their mind.

I believe there are some people who are great at cold readings, reading body language and predicting general human reaction to events but that's it.

It would be remarkable if there are people with real ability to read minds but they will have to fight through the hundreds and thousands of fakes out there that have ruined the credibility of such claims. But then this should be easy for someone that can read minds...

yes, but i don't consider them to be powers.

i believe that every person has the potential to be extra sensory (for lack of a better term at the moment) but that it's more manifest in some than others.

having said that i should also say that for every person able to actively use or experience these abilities there are countless others who will con people into thinking they do.

• Like 1

Yes

I think some people are more intuitive and intelligent, and are able to pick up signs through smell, body language, and even sight as well as other ways that other people wouldn't notice. Sometimes people who are synesthesics (example: people who hear lights, or see a certain color everytime they taste something) pick up information that other people who aren't synesthesics wouldn't notice.

However, that wouldn't explain those people who can sense things over long distances about people they've never met personally.

I actually have synaesthesia...in my case, I associate tastes and colors. (I can rarely eat any food that tastes pink to me. I can't think of the ones that really grate on me right now, but if I do, I'll post about them.) Certain months have distinct colors, too. There are other things as well.

• Like 1

John, what makes you say this? I've been wondering whether there has been an increase in "paranormal" phenomena among the general population. There has been in my family, and I've wondered whether this is a general trend, and if so, why.

It all relates to an evolution in human consciousness. This is very gradual yet profoundly different than we have ever seen before.

The children are starting to become more conceptual. This is a departure from the linear logical thought processes that has dominated our thinkinf for the past 10,00 years. All the under 18 group is genetically different than any previous generation. We are at a mid-point for a great shift that has been fortold in all the ancient spiritual teachings.

The next 18 years will see another group of children who will be those born after that Dec 21, 2012 date that so very few of us are able to appreciate.

It is my understanding that telepathy will eventually become so common place that we will no longer be able to lie to one another. This alone will forever change who we select to place our trust with.

That is how I see these things.

John

Hi John, some bold claims there...

All the under 18 group is genetically different than any previous generation.

Across the world or just in America?

telepathy will eventually become so common place that we will no longer be able to lie to one another. This alone will forever change who we select to place our trust with.

That is a bit contradictory, we will not be able to select who to trust because we will all know each others secrets.

Your signature also betray's your post, 'What we are never changes !!'

I hope you get to see what you believe because it would be astounding and might push us beyond the materialistic lives we lead, but I don't hold up much hope of it happening.

@lizzieboo, I have synaesthesia too! I hear lights, and associate certain colors with numbers/ letters. I don't actually see the colors, but I was tested for this and I associated the same colors with the same numbers/ letters over the span of a month (ex: 8 is red, 2 is blue). Also when I was little I remember seeing colors in everything, but that doesn't happen anymore.

• Like 2

@Sheep Say Meep, that is so cool! I think I like your form of synaesthesia better than mine. I took the battery of tests but I can't get back to the site to see my results. Phooey.

I forgot to mention that the reason I don't like the taste of pink is that it tastes furry to me. I don't only associate colors with tastes, but also with textures and temperatures. Green is bright, crisp, and cool; blue is soft and warm. It's so great to be able to talk about this; most people don't get it.

@lizzieboo, pink tastes furry haha... thats pretty cool if you ask me. Hearing lights isn't that cool since it gets really annoying sometimes. Honestly, and I haven't been tested for this, but I think I might be able to sense electricity/ electronics in general. Like whenever I'm in crowded places I get really annoyed for no reason (maybe because so many people carry cell phones and Ipods/ mp3s), and its the same sort of annoyed feeling I get with hearing lights sometimes.

I agree! Its really tough to meet people who are like this, but when you do its totally awesome

• Like 1

I actually have synaesthesia...in my case, I associate tastes and colors. (I can rarely eat any food that tastes pink to me. I can't think of the ones that really grate on me right now, but if I do, I'll post about them.) Certain months have distinct colors, too. There are other things as well.

Not sure if I suffer with synaesthesia, but I do have issues with purple food. Nothing in the realm of purple food appeals to me, don't get me wrong I will eat or drink purple if I am hungry enough or to be polite but given the choice I would avoid it.

• Like 1

Not sure if I suffer with synaesthesia, but I do have issues with purple food. Nothing in the realm of purple food appeals to me, don't get me wrong I will eat or drink purple if I am hungry enough or to be polite but given the choice I would avoid it.

I'm not sure whether that qualifies as synaesthesia, sweetie. I haven't really studied the field b/c for most of my life, I wasn't aware that there was a name for what I experienced. I will say this, however: In my case, the food doesn't have to actually be a color that I find unpleasant to the taste. I can remember when I was a kid, turning my nose up at something my mom served. When she asked why, I told her that I didn't like it because it "tasted pink." Darn, I wish I could remember what it was. Ah, I have one: honeydew melon. Now, that is pale green melon, but I don't like it because it tastes pink to me. Ugh. Liver tastes pink to me, too.

Edited by lizzieboo

i think i do but it only works when im not being self obsessive so its properly more empathy and predictability of how people react in certain situations.

Hi John, some bold claims there...

Across the world or just in America?

That is a bit contradictory, we will not be able to select who to trust because we will all know each others secrets.

Your signature also betray's your post, 'What we are never changes !!'

I hope you get to see what you believe because it would be astounding and might push us beyond the materialistic lives we lead, but I don't hold up much hope of it happening.

The comment in my signature refers to our divine energetic essence not our physical expression.

My hope is that this perception unfolds in a way that respects all ways of being.

John

My hope is that this perception unfolds in a way that respects all ways of being.

Well hope is one thing we all have, good luck with yours. :)