Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ouija board helps probe the subconscious

Saru

Psychologists are using Ouija boards to explore how we communicate with our own subsconcious mind.

Beloved of spiritualists and bored teenagers on a dare, the Ouija board has long been a source of entertainment, mystery and sometimes downright spookiness. Now it could shine a light on the secrets of the unconscious mind.

arrow3.gifRead more...

It could be anything, you never know with these things.

There is another possibility and thats the subconscious is the spirit world.

But that kind if idea drives materialists mad.

• Like 1

Every time I see something about a Ouija board I feel sad for the human kind... :w00t: :w00t: but then I starting laughing

I saw this somewhere before, where the momvements provided are from those around the board.

Interesting topic none the less.

Be interesting to see what the researcher gather from this.

nice find OP!

I would run, not walk, away from any mental health professional that resorts to fluff bunny garbage in their practice.

That would be like a doctor coming into the room waving a dead snake and shaking a rattle made with bones while dressed in drag chanting in some obscure language.

Sorry but the mental health field has sunk to a new low.

• Like 2

One night at a friends house there was 4 of us me my 2 friends and his girl friend so we broke out the board.so the friends uncle killed him self.

And we had our finges on the pointer and he said his uncles name are you here and there was a light above the kittcen table and the light turned bright green and we all ran out side .very creepy

Oh great, that's all we need. A bunch of psychologists possessed by Ouija board demons.

• Like 1

Unconscious muscle movement? Bull poop. It moves via electrical impulse through our fingers or in other word, telekinesis. We all can do it in varying degrees and we usually do it in an unconscious state... So we are not aware when it happens. Power of the mind... Who was it that said, "w don't know just how powerful we are".

As to what messages come through is debatable but I believe that it it's communication with other entities as well as subconscious messages. Why not? Often channels will go into "trances" to talk to spirits, they are using their subconscious abilities.

Just imagine what we could do of we were able to unlock the power of our minds! I know I'd fly. :0)

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 1

I would run, not walk, away from any mental health professional that resorts to fluff bunny garbage in their practice.

That would be like a doctor coming into the room waving a dead snake and shaking a rattle made with bones while dressed in drag chanting in some obscure language.

Sorry but the mental health field has sunk to a new low.

It's just research, mainstream physicians would never jump onto such a controversial band wagon, way too much liability.

• Like 1

I used to use ouija boards back in 93, I learned how to open my subconcious to new levels through reading them without a planchette. Alone. It proved to be kindof a mind expanding experience. When you read the board ( manufactured or self made) you can tap into the spirit world on your own and discover connections. Unfortuneatly its' dangerous to do that since it's an opening to evil spirits as well as good ones.

For many years I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and have suffered from voices from the 'beyond' always bothering me. I never found a medication that has made the voices go away since then. Luckily now they have decreased to just a few 'good' voices with positive outlooks.

So whatever happens don't use it alone unless you know what your doing....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use ouija boards back in 93, I learned how to open my subconcious to new levels through reading them without a planchette. Alone. It proved to be kindof a mind expanding experience. When you read the board ( manufactured or self made) you can tap into the spirit world on your own and discover connections. Unfortuneatly its' dangerous to do that since it's an opening to evil spirits as well as good ones.

For many years I was diagnosed with schizophrenia and have suffered from voices from the 'beyond' always bothering me. I never found a medication that has made the voices go away since then. Luckily now they have decreased to just a few 'good' voices with positive outlooks.

So whatever happens don't use it alone unless you know what your doing....

Thats the thing you dont know what your contacting when you mess around with that stuff and say you contact an evil spirit that doesnt WANT to leave you alone then what

• Like 2

I'm not surprised. The subconciouse is both intelligent and quite active. Though I never put much stock in the ouji, it seems like an interesting area of research. I'll look forward to future results.

Im opened minded , but all this "subconcious mind" and "ideomotor effect" and "telekinesis" cannot explain when things get thrown across the room at you, i had a cup and a pen thrown quite hard at me when i used a ouija board , also every time it got really cold in the house :/

• Like 1

I really don't know what to make of Ouja boards since I played around with them myself as a kid and nothing much happened but my mom had a very creepy experience with one when she was a child that was truly frightening and the events totally inexplicable by "rational" standards and I have known many others who have had very negative experiences with them as well, so if there really is anything "beyond"---I think that the probability is high that Ouja boards are not simply games, but a portal to something beyond whether that is "evil spirits" or as these researchers are apparently trying to determine if the board has some sort of connection with our own subconscious and the unknown powers we have since most people don't have any concept that they have any other dimension other than living our lives in this "realm." It could be that what the boards do is focus our own unknown, but very dark and deeply held "internal demons" much like in the movie "Forbidden Planet" when Dr. Morphius mind connections with the Krel supercomputer unleashes the hidden monsters from the "Id."

Ouija boards are not good or evil. They are basically neutral. However, many people have negative experiences with them. The reason why is because people get freaked out when they start spelling messages out. They get scared, and this fear is like blood in water to sharks. Nonphysical beings that feed on fear, smell it or sense it, and come immediately. It's tasty meal time for them. If one is not fearful when using the board, one will not interact with those types of entities. There is a whole ecology of different beings out there. I wouldn't call any of them "good" or "bad", but there are beings that serve self more than other beings, and you don't really want to interact with them.

How the Ouija board works is a combination of ideomotor muscle movements (tiny unconscious muscle movements you don't realize you are making) and also a kind of subconscious non-physical communication (a sort of telepathic dialog with spirits). Unconsciously, you are engaging in communication with nonphysical beings all the time. You just aren't consciously aware of it. What the Ouija board provides is a sort of translation between this "unconscious communication" and your so called "conscious mind". If you become sensitive to these unconscious transmissions of information, you no longer require a Ouija board. Then people start labeling you a "channeler". Really, the Ouija board is just a block of wood/cardboard/whatever else you make it out of. It is like "training wheels" for channeling. You could draw letters on a table and have the same effect. It just provides a means for you to get your conscious interference out of the way, and allow your autonomic muscle movements to spell out words on the board. The scientific community has made the connection of ideomotor movements, but obviously they are not ever going to commit academic suicide and announce the existence of nonphysical beings. And besides, most of the behavior of Ouija boards can seemingly be explained through currently known scientific facts. Occams razor won't always serve you however. Just because it seems like there is a simpler explanation, doesn't mean the explanation is always that simple. There is more to the phenomenon than just unconscious muscle movements.

Weird things can most definitely happen when you connect with beings over a Ouija board. If they are motivated enough to mess with you, they can, and with great expenditure of mental effort, can move physical things occasionally. It can be very disturbing to those witnessing such acts, which is the pay off such negative beings are after. They are ethereally nourished by your fear, so of course they are motivated to make you afraid (by spouting all sorts of nonsense that preys on common socioculture beliefs in things like the devil, ghosts, demons, aliens, and what not). Sometimes, they are just being playful though. There are positive beings to, and due to their polarity they do not thrive off negative emotion. I've seen some very enlightening and inspiring messages come over Ouija boards. They are not all bad.

The Ouija board is just a tool, and its nature is determined by how you, the tool user, use it.

• Like 2

Well, for what it's worth - I will give my 2 cents. When you ask a ouija board something you are opening the door to any and all entities. Any spirit can answer. Some are merely mischieveous and may give you a correct anwer once or twice only later to trick you on something else. Some have bad intentions to begin with, which explains why some people have worse experiences than others with the board.

To avoid this you must direct your questions/inquiries to a specific spirit/entity. State who you are speaking to, this way it does not allow any other spirit to answer. Never show fear and remember you are ultimately in charge - they are not in control of you and you do not have to be at their mercy. There is a universal law that protects you. If you have spirit(s) troubling you tell them they cannot stay, that they must leave 'now'. Wishing they were not there does nothing - you must tell them directly to leave. Some people prefer to be kinder and ask them nicely, but however you chose to do it - they must understand that you are telling them they cannot stay.

Though I have never used a ouija board, I do automatic writing which is basically the same principle. I have a friend who communicates with her spirit guide this way, as well as her subconscious (which I prefer to call Higher-Self). I personally have not tried to contact guides. I direct my questions to my Higher-Self.

I believe everyone's Higher-Self (subconscious) could be communicated with through the ouija board. Just state that is who you are directing the question to.

Edited by Time Traveler
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

while it could also be used to communicate with spirits i also believe that it could be used to communicate with the subconscious mind as well.either way lets say your looking for a answer you still get it.it would be so cool to talk to a ghost and talk to one and be able to see one.one thing though i do not believe its the devils toys.the devil is something and the creation of the catholic church and christian religions.i have a quija board at home and in my room and i sleep like a baby meaning it don't bother me and its glow in the dark too lol

There are alot of people that say the Ouija board is controlled by the ideomotor response which can be controlled. By the subconscious and the subconscious is able to pick up on alot more than we realize. It just filters out what isn't thought to be relevant. So if your trying to use an ouija board to contact spirits i would think it would depend on the person or people using it.

Just my opinion