Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Next Sexual Revolution...

7STAR

There is a culture war in full effect in these United States and there are those who want to drag us back to the Dark Ages where dialogues about sexual identity and alternatives to sexual monogamy didn’t exist. Fortunately, we can’t go back — as much as these ignoramuses would like. We are in what the anthropologist Margaret Meade called a prefigurative stage. The myths and symbols that gave meaning and direction to our culture have lost much of their significance (and with good reason), and we are only beginning to create a new cosmology, a culture that respects sex, pleasure, and sensuality; new myths and icons that provide relevant models for a new consciousness of ourselves and of the earth. —( http://thefreshxpres...al-suppression/ )

ragecomic-II-1b.png

ragecomic-II-2b.png

ragecomic-II-3b.png

ragecomic-II-4b.png

The myths and symbols that gave meaning and direction to our culture have lost much of their significance (and with good reason), and we are only beginning to create a new cosmology, a culture that respects sex, pleasure, and sensuality; new myths and icons that provide relevant models for a new consciousness of ourselves and of the earth

I hope so.

I wandered round the outside of the OP for a while, couildn't find a way in, so sat down and had a rest.

s12455.gif

• Like 3

Sexual Revolution were do I sign up to join. 1st rule of a Revolution kill all the lawyers lol

• Like 1

That reminds me of the ancient times of Egypt or the Roman Empire. You know these obelisk statues? In fact they were meant to represent the penisses of the Emperors/Pharaos (to "demonstrate" their power)^^. In my city there is one of those phallus statues and I can't pass that place without telling everyone what they depict XD.

If the revolution succeeds we might already have a lot of holy monuments^^

Hedonism is a dead end because it's only goal is to please the limbic system and that makes our executive functioning weaker in turn.

What is up with the infographic?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i'm not talking about outright hedonism. i'm talking about leveraging sexual energy into altered states of consciousness / interpersonal awareness.

• Like 1

i sometimes wonder at what state of development we all would be if there wouldn't have been religions that condemned sexuality as "dirty", "filthy" or generally "bad unless you intend to produce us some more baptized souls".....

i sometimes wonder at what state of development we all would be if there wouldn't have been religions that condemned sexuality as "dirty", "filthy" or generally "bad unless you intend to produce us some more baptized souls".....

Over populated with many fatherless children.

Over populated with many fatherless children.

not necessarily....we came up with contraceptive methods and i know a lot of patchwork families in which the kids grow in happily, although one of their parents might not be their biological one. I have a daughter myself, i didn't "make" her, but met her mom when she was in her 6th month of pregnancy. I was there at her birth and the first to hold her in my arms. She is my daughter since then and i love her very much. Taking care of children has NOTHING to to with living monogamous or not and a lot of children are neglected although they came from (whatever) religious families.

A system to fulfill desires. The hippies gave way to many children who became without parents and panhandle for a living outside of the places you like to visit.

A really bright future bro.

These societies have come and they have not stayed for good reason. We go against the system again and again by trying to prove that is right. The average person goes through 8 people before marriage. What are you testing here with this ? The waters or how one limbos with your private part?

• Like 1

not necessarily....we came up with contraceptive methods and i know a lot of patchwork families in which the kids grow in happily, although one of their parents might not be their biological one. I have a daughter myself, i didn't "make" her, but met her mom when she was in her 6th month of pregnancy. I was there at her birth and the first to hold her in my arms. She is my daughter since then and i love her very much. Taking care of children has NOTHING to to with living monogamous or not and a lot of children are neglected although they came from (whatever) religious families.

So you are in a monogamous relationship and takeing care of child correct? If there were no blocks to promiscuity ( without birth control) don't you think there would be many more children without parents and many more transfers of STDs.

It's fairly evident in circles where there are no social blocks to sexual promiscuity.

A 2nd revolution? I'm still recovering from the first! IMHO, back then, tantric sex was often just an easy to get into the sack, with little or no emotional attachment or commitment, despite the "spiritual" aspect of it. The spirituality part of it often disappeared after the act. And however the energy is altered, it's still the woman who gets pregnant and is often left holding the baby. Before one attempts to leverage sexual energy into a greater consciousness the ground rules about commitment & responsibility should be made clear.

• Like 2

So you are in a monogamous relationship and takeing care of child correct? If there were no blocks to promiscuity ( without birth control) don't you think there would be many more children without parents and many more transfers of STDs.

It's fairly evident in circles where there are no social blocks to sexual promiscuity.

If a society had a framework so that a whole community was able to take care of the children, and the community had a mutal self interest to remain in each other's company, it is very possible. In fact mankind during the hunter-gatherer stage most likely found advantages in such a society.

Our post-industrial societies simply have been transformed too much for this to make sense. There are too many alternatives, when you want to break with your spouse it is easy, you couldn't do that when all you had was your tribe and being outside of it meant death. It is too easy for those in a hypothetical flowers-and-love commune to be tired of society and do a free love type family then get tired and want back in society.

So many things are possible and everything has advantages and disadvantages. If one clearly believes the present system they find themselves under is perfect, and any other type of system by virtue of not being their favorite, any other type is not good at all in their eyes, then they lose the chance to recognize every system has both and recognizing the advantages allows one to harness and even exploit them for success while recognizing inherent disadvantage of any system allows us to compensate and manage.

Believing your chosen system (insert political, economic, religious, marriage, etc..,) is ideal doesn't allow for growth, finding your niche, or optimal performance of your being.

Edited by Lookitisoneofthosepeople
  • Like 1

i'm not talking about outright hedonism. i'm talking about leveraging sexual energy into altered states of consciousness / interpersonal awareness.

MODS, I'm still wondering where the dis-like button is..........

This type of juvenile hippy thinking has run it's course, the obvious exception being people in thier teens and twenties who are still enslaved to thier hormones. Sex and or the supposed tantric energies are right up there with channeling enlightened spiritual masters from another galaxy.

Like it or not the main function of sex is reproduction, anyone who defines themselves with thier genitals is shallow. period. gays and straights both.

• Like 1

You guys never cease to amaze me! I've been back several to times to that tangle of meandering, disjointed sentences and diagrams that was the OP, to try and make enough sense out of it to formulate some sort of answer, (or even to understanding it!) and there you lot go unraveling and debating it with ease!

Hmmm, must be more stoopid than I thought I was! *Wanders away muttering disconsolately*

Nope, her mom and i separated 2 years ago...what about using condoms man? If you don't wanna catch anything, you should be protected. preventing stds through limiting your partners is not my approach....

If a society had a framework so that a whole community was able to take care of the children, and the community had a mutal self interest to remain in each other's company, it is very possible. In fact mankind during the hunter-gatherer stage most likely found advantages in such a society.

Our post-industrial societies simply have been transformed too much for this to make sense. There are too many alternatives, when you want to break with your spouse it is easy, you couldn't do that when all you had was your tribe and being outside of it meant death. It is too easy for those in a hypothetical flowers-and-love commune to be tired of society and do a free love type family then get tired and want back in society.

So many things are possible and everything has advantages and disadvantages. If one clearly believes the present system they find themselves under is perfect, and any other type of system by virtue of not being their favorite, any other type is not good at all in their eyes, then they lose the chance to recognize every system has both and recognizing the advantages allows one to harness and even exploit them for success while recognizing inherent disadvantage of any system allows us to compensate and manage.

Believing your chosen system (insert political, economic, religious, marriage, etc..,) is ideal doesn't allow for growth, finding your niche, or optimal performance of your being.

No argument here. I never said anything about any systems. It's quite obviouse That children are healthier with both parents being apart of their upbringing. Without social blocks that encourage this, quite obviously the society cannot be as healthy.

Nope, her mom and i separated 2 years ago...what about using condoms man? If you don't wanna catch anything, you should be protected. preventing stds through limiting your partners is not my approach....

Still you are a committed parent right? Condumns break and fail. So does birth control. If you are prepared to to be a father to all potential children, then awesome, you are a responsible person... But we all know that is not true for everyone. If every partner you were with had a high probability of a child , and you wanted to maintain an identity of responsibility, your behavior would change. Instead you rely on technology so that can maintain your lust for variety.

In a not so distant past where these technologies did not exist, quit obviously it was in the interest of everyone for social blocks to restrain our apitite for gratification.

Edited by Seeker79

I think if promiscuity was going to create a spiritual revolution we'd have seen it by now. Sounds likes the sort of rationalization hedonists might want to hear, though.

Condumns break and fail.

So do a lot of relationships. And when that happens, i think kids grow up healthier when they have parents that are not bound toghether by the cultural concepts of marriage and monogamy as the only things that KEEP them together. I'm neither a hedonist (or maybe in small percentages...) nor do i have an urge to **** everything that's not on a tree by the count of three. But being able to live my sex life in a way that I came to consider good for myself is something of value for my, let's call it, mental balance. I don't know if you are familiar with the early work of Wilhelm Reich, but from studying his (and quite a few other) books i realized that sex is much more than the mere reproduction process, and that opressing , distorting or condemning sexuality can have huge negative effects on the human psyche.

I agree although what you recommend might be so esoteric that it will escape many. Care to explain in brief what you have learned from Wilhelm Reich? I want to understand your view.

So do a lot of relationships. And when that happens, i think kids grow up healthier when they have parents that are not bound toghether by the cultural concepts of marriage and monogamy as the only things that KEEP them together. I'm neither a hedonist (or maybe in small percentages...) nor do i have an urge to **** everything that's not on a tree by the count of three. But being able to live my sex life in a way that I came to consider good for myself is something of value for my, let's call it, mental balance. I don't know if you are familiar with the early work of Wilhelm Reich, but from studying his (and quite a few other) books i realized that sex is much more than the mere reproduction process, and that opressing , distorting or condemning sexuality can have huge negative effects on the human psyche.

I'm not a beleiver in dogma merely intelligent restraint. Sexual dogmas are an outgrowth of that, so I understand them even if I may not agree. Sexual oppression is a travesty I have even seen it here on um. ( got in trouble once ). But I believe the opposite is true aswell. Hedonistic overdose of the sex act and the degradation of its uniquely precious qualities for bonding and intamacy Isac loss. By no means do I think restrictions should be placed on anyone. I just see why we have some of the taboos that we do. I think it's a decent social norm that sexuality resides inside of a loveing relationship. I think it benefits our cultures. This does not mean marriage. Sex outside of loving relationships is fraught full of problems. I have seen it first hand. A little social pressure isn't always a bad thing of course until it crosses the lines of oppression.