Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Music playing while on the forum

booNyzarC

I'm using Firefox 13.0.1 and recently installed an updated Adobe Flash Player 11 Active X as prompted by Adobe, so it may be related to that...

But over the last few days I've had random music start playing (midi) while I was browsing through the forum. On both occasions I also had other websites up, so it may have been ads on those sites as well, but the music continued after closing everything down but UM and stopped when I finally closed the browser altogether.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar recently.

Hoping I don't have a virus, but the scan came up clean.

You scanned for malware as well?

To clarify, the initial scan I ran was in the most common places viruses reside and I'm currently running a full scan.

I'm more curious right now if anyone else has encountered this. Google has some varying results, and this just started happening, with the most recent installation of that Adobe update. I may uninstall that if the full scan comes up clean.

I had this happen once a long time ago with some song by Danzig called "Stalker Song". It was extremely creepy. I had never heard of that song before, and had no Danzig songs on my computer, and no music programs running. I assumed it was a virus issue.

Could there have been auto-playing embedded video on a page you had open at the time ?

Could there have been auto-playing embedded video on a page you had open at the time ?

Entirely possible, though I closed each tab one at a time until I had only one tab with UM and it continued playing. Then I visited different pages on the forum and it also continued playing. It only stopped when I closed the browser completely. I may try separate instances of the browser for a while to try to narrow it down further, or even a different browser.

Random music suddenly playing? What music is it? Maybe Forces are trying to tell you something from the Beyond.

Make sure you scan with a malware/spyware program as well as anti virus. most anti virus doens't cover those, just viruses.

Never heard of this before though.

Edited by Coffey

I've been having issues with firefox, but nothing related to music playing on the forum. My adblock has stopped working altogether though.

I'm running linux right now, but I was on Windows last night and had nothing like that.

Out of interest, on one (and only one) occasion I have opened a thread and found an embedded video began playing automatically - as I was not aware that was possible, I shut down my browser and reopened it, only to find it happened again. I wasn't very impressed - I don't think that *should* be possible - but don't know enough about embedding to be sure.

Trouble is, I forgot about it (probably when the thread moved onto a later page..) and didn't report, bookmark or record it.. and of course I can't remember where it was now. I guess it's possible it was the same thread. Should I stumble upon it (or any similar) I'll report it and come back to this thread..

Update on this.

Had nothing to do with UM. It appears as though it was indeed Malware (prize goes to Coffey! :tu: )

It was a ROOTKIT.0ACCESS Trojan which required manual removal. (or at least I hope that's what it was and that I don't still experience this very bizarre issue...)

Thanks all :)

• Like 1

Update on this.

Had nothing to do with UM. It appears as though it was indeed Malware (prize goes to Coffey! :tu: )

It was a ROOTKIT.0ACCESS Trojan which required manual removal. (or at least I hope that's what it was and that I don't still experience this very bizarre issue...)

Thanks all :)

I wish my boss could see this and give me a raise/promotion... LOL

Not heard of a malware doing that before, it's kinda intresting. Haha

Highly recomend "Malwarebytes" by the way, it's a free anti spyware/malware program. (don't know why i didn't put this in my last post.. lol)

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 2

Highly recomend "Malwarebytes" by the way, it's a free anti spyware/malware program. (don't know why i didn't put this in my last post.. lol)

Coffey is correct on the Malwarebytes comment. I also use Combofix.exe as well. Both are free and great tools.

• Like 2

Yes, Malwarebytes is what identified the problem for me, and then Google from there for the details I needed to manually remove because it couldn't fully remove it.