Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Comics!

MarvelAtTheWords

1) Conan the Barbarian, then King Conan, then ROM, then The Amazing Spiderman, then The Uncanny X-Men, then... oh hell, etc... etc... etc.... They were a great joy when I was growing up and I almost decided to become a comic book artist. I even had an art scholarship which paid my college tuition while I was still going.

Rom Space Knight!

Steve Ditko drew me into that and I got wrapped up in the story. Regardless of the toy line I liked the idea behind it and it was the first book I

"collected".

Who remembers "Zot!!", or "Warp"? "Flaming Carrot"?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading the re-launch of all of the DC titles (DC 52). Especially Action Comics, Detective Comics, JLA, and Superman. The Superman is probably my least favorite series at the moment, but I'm a Superman fanatic, so I feel compelled to read it. Marvel has been kind of lame since the Siege event, so I haven't really kept up with that one.

• Like 1

I've been reading the re-launch of all of the DC titles (DC 52). Especially Action Comics, Detective Comics, JLA, and Superman. The Superman is probably my least favorite series at the moment, but I'm a Superman fanatic, so I feel compelled to read it. Marvel has been kind of lame since the Siege event, so I haven't really kept up with that one.

I heard the hottest titles of the New 52 relaunch are Action Comics, Animal Man, Aquaman, Batman, Batman Incorporated, The Flash, and Swamp Thing. I collected many of them but wasnt able to continue due to the cost of comic books these days and a tight budget.

• Like 1

What do diehard Superman fans think of the new Superman costume design? Does it offend you? Or simply an irritating pet peeve? Or completely acceptable?

• Like 1

Female & I don't still read comics.

This is going back a bit! - Bunty, June, and Judy for me.

My brother had - Dandy, Beano, Topper, and others I can't remember the names of. I'd read his comics as well as mine. The Dandy and Beano especially were for both of us to share.

• Like 1

What do diehard Superman fans think of the new Superman costume design? Does it offend you? Or simply an irritating pet peeve? Or completely acceptable?

I actually like it a lot. I guess the costume in the upcoming movie will be similar.

• Like 1

I heard the hottest titles of the New 52 relaunch are Action Comics, Animal Man, Aquaman, Batman, Batman Incorporated, The Flash, and Swamp Thing. I collected many of them but wasnt able to continue due to the cost of comic books these days and a tight budget.

Yeah, I guess the entire re-launch has been pretty hot. My local store sells out of almost all the titles within a week or two of getting them, and he says it's the same everywhere. Even online it's tough to get some of them (especially JLA and Batman). The just started collecting them all in hardcover and I'm sure softcover is coming soon, so that will probably be the cheapest way to keep up with them.

• Like 1

Yeah, I guess the entire re-launch has been pretty hot. My local store sells out of almost all the titles within a week or two of getting them, and he says it's the same everywhere. Even online it's tough to get some of them (especially JLA and Batman). The just started collecting them all in hardcover and I'm sure softcover is coming soon, so that will probably be the cheapest way to keep up with them.

Yeah, I hate that I am behind on the issues. Geoff Johns is doing an excellent job on Aquaman, likewise Francis Manapaul on The Flash.

But the hottest writer on the New 52 relaunch is no doubt writer Scott Snyder on Batman and Swamp Thing. White hot titles. The rest of the Bat titles are largely ... meh. Batman And Robin has been decent though and I have yet to read any issue of Grant Morrison's Batman Incorporated but no doubt it is -probably- giving Snyder a run for his money.

I felt JLA was a rather weak title.... the lack of characterization and story. It is just blah by the numbers deal particularly in the light of previous runs before the relaunch.

I actually like it a lot. I guess the costume in the upcoming movie will be similar.

Action Comics is by far the better Supes titles.

Superman is just been dreadful first under George Perez and secondly under Giffen/Jurgans.... I didnt dig the Helspont/Daimonites storyline.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Interesting things are shaping up in Marvel in the aftermath of AvX event:

New titles of Iron Man #1 (vol 5) and Deadpool #1 (vol 4) debuted last month?

Dan Slott's The Amazing Spider-Man is officially ending January next year after the #700 issue and picking back up in a new title, Superior Spider-Man #1 (vol 1 with Dan Slott still on board and artist Ryan Stegman), THEN!…Peter Parker spent a lifetime living up to the responsibilities his powers foisted upon him but his Amazing story finally ended dramatically in the historic Spider-Man #700. NOW!…The new Amazing Spider-Man has arrived and he is better in every single way. Smarter, stronger…Superior.

Later this month, will be Captain America #1 (vol 7) under the helm of Rick Remender and John Romita, "Thrust into a bizarre, inhospitable world far from home, the all-new, high-adventure, mind-melting, tough-as-nails, sci-fi, pulp-fantasy era of Captain America is NOW! With no country and no allies, what's left for the Sentinel of Liberty to protect? The Saga of Dimension Z begins here!"

The Indestructible Hulk #1 (vol 1) under the helm of Mark Waid and Lienil Francis Yu, "Hulk - Indestructible force more weapon than man. Banner - smartest man alive. Combined they are the Strongest, Smartest Weapon on the planet! And NOW! the INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK is an Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.!"

Uncanny Avengers #1 (vol 1) under the helm of Rick Remender and John Cassaday, THIS IS IT! The greatest era of the Marvel Universe starts here! From the ashes of AvX an all-new, all-different Avengers assemble! • Dive headfirst into Marvel NOW! as the superstar dream team of Rick Remender (Uncanny X-Force, Venom) and John Cassaday (Astonishing X-Men, Captain America) deliver high stakes action in UNCANNY AVENGERS #1 - sporting a jaw-dropping cover by Cassaday! • No fan can miss the blockbuster debut of an all-new Avengers team featuring members from all across the Marvel Universe...a team uniting Avenger and X-Man alike! • Captain America begins his quest to create a sanctioned Avengers unit comprised of Avengers and X-Men, humans and mutants working together - so why is Professor Xavier's dream more at risk than ever? • The funeral of one of Marvel's greatest heroes! • The first attack of the most loathsome villain in history will quake the Marvel Universe forever! • But following the devastating events of Avengers VS X-Men, can Captain America pull together a team that can get along for its first mission?

1228833_ful.jpg

All-New X-Men #1 (vol 1) under the helm of Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen, "It's a blast from the past as the original five students of Professor X - Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel and Beast - are plucked from the past and brought to the present. But what they find, the state that their future selves are in and the state of Xavier's dream, is far from the future they dreamed of. And how will the X-Men of the present deal with their past coming crashing forward?"

1228834_ful.jpg

Avengers #1 (vol 5) under the helm of Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena, It’s a new day and a new beginning for the Earth’s Mightiest Heroes, with a brand new team that’s bigger and better than ever before! And they won’t just be ‘Earth’s Mightiest Heroes’, either – when the galaxy is in danger, the Avengers will answer the call!

1228835_ful.jpg

I dont really collect Marvel comics and didnt follow any of the recent Avengers vs X-Men event. So no comment.

But hear mixed opinions about writers Rick Remender and Brian Michael Bendis. And hear mostly positive things about Dan Slott, Jonathan Hickman (Fantastic Four), and Mark Waid (Daredevil).

The jury is out as far as I am concerned. But with the advent of The Avengers movie (and soon to be sequel), many new readers are sure to pick up these titles no doubt.

Edited by Ambush Bug
  • Like 1

*sigh* Wish I lived in US.

This is going to get expencive for me...

2000 AD Though they were third hand and very old by time I got to see them, and i couldn't read all the words then, still can't. Well, Borag thung Earthlets.....

• Like 1

I wasn't into comics as a kid (unless Beano and Dandy count :D ) but over the past few years I've taken to Frank Miller's dark comics. Sin City, 300, his Batman works and Daredevil. Awesome, I have to say.

Anyone here ever read any Star Wars comics? I started on some of them a few months ago and am hooked. In particular Star Wars Legacy (cut short after 50 issues) and Dawn of the Jedi (still being released every month) are awesome. Truly epic stories. And I'm now working through Knights of the Old Republic and the Rise and Fall of the Sith timelines.

I have to say though, there is a massive difference in quality between comics of all genres. You get some really, really bad comic book writers.

• Like 2

I wasn't into comics as a kid (unless Beano and Dandy count :D ) but over the past few years I've taken to Frank Miller's dark comics. Sin City, 300, his Batman works and Daredevil. Awesome, I have to say.

Anyone here ever read any Star Wars comics? I started on some of them a few months ago and am hooked. In particular Star Wars Legacy (cut short after 50 issues) and Dawn of the Jedi (still being released every month) are awesome. Truly epic stories. And I'm now working through Knights of the Old Republic and the Rise and Fall of the Sith timelines.

I have to say though, there is a massive difference in quality between comics of all genres. You get some really, really bad comic book writers.

Most of Frank Miller's books are brilliant, IMO, his best stuff was Daredevil, gritty and grim noire.

I unfortunely didnt get into the Dark Horse SW books. Probably should have. I did read some of the expanded universe novel but not the comic books and these comics have been put out for many years now. Very prolific series.

Indeed there is a massive difference in the quality of comic books, like does one want to read a by-the-numbers story every month, same vanilla ice cream every month? Or does one want to read a book that presents startling dimensions and dynamics to the characters and the plots something that can be considered genuine literature?

Most of Frank Miller's books are brilliant, IMO, his best stuff was Daredevil, gritty and grim noire.

I unfortunely didnt get into the Dark Horse SW books. Probably should have. I did read some of the expanded universe novel but not the comic books and these comics have been put out for many years now. Very prolific series.

Indeed there is a massive difference in the quality of comic books, like does one want to read a by-the-numbers story every month, same vanilla ice cream every month? Or does one want to read a book that presents startling dimensions and dynamics to the characters and the plots something that can be considered genuine literature?

I've actually read all of the expanded universe stuff after Return of the Jedi. I'm hooked but need to wait until next year for my next fix.

You can download the comics online mate, either for free or by paying. That's how I read most of my comics.

And I know that I definitely prefer the 'genuine literature' comics. They are far more engrossing. Daredevil is a prime example of that.

Got any you would recommend?

• Like 1

I've actually read all of the expanded universe stuff after Return of the Jedi. I'm hooked but need to wait until next year for my next fix.

You can download the comics online mate, either for free or by paying. That's how I read most of my comics.

Yes, that is how I am reading the Walking Dead currently. :tsu:

And I know that I definitely prefer the 'genuine literature' comics. They are far more engrossing. Daredevil is a prime example of that.

Got any you would recommend?

The Alan Moore run on The Swamp Thing. One of my favorite comic titles of the 80s.

Edited by Ambush Bug
  • Like 1

First DC Comics reboots their titles with New 52, and now Marvel Comics has followed trend with Marvel NOW!

Of these titles, the ones to watch I guestimate, would be Jonathan Hickman's Avengers (vol 5) and New Avengers (vol 3, coming Jan.), Mark Waid's The Indestructible Hulk, Jason Aaron's Thor The God Of Thunder, and Dan Slott's The Superior Spider-Man (coming Jan.) after an epic three issue finale #698-700 to The Amazing Spider-Man title END RUN upon which Doc Oc finally learns Spider-Man's true identity.

Perhaps Matt Fraction's Fantastic Four (vol 4) is worth a looksie. I never followed Hickman's run on vol 3 but he was instrumental in increasing that title's popularity with inventive and original storylines which should be all the more reason to check out his two Avengers titles as they're the reason he left the Fantastic Four.

Jason Aaron's is taking Thor into some new directions including three timelines, past, present, and future.

1227061_ful.jpg

1227062_ful.jpg

1236765_ful.jpg

1236749_ful.jpg

1240497_ful.jpg

Grrr! Marvel insists on putting out some of their most popular titles out TWICE a month. Gimme a break, comics are too expensive these days.

Update, I have read all of week 1 and week 2 of the Marvel NOW! reboots and it pales in comparision to DC's New 52 reboots.

I only like three titles:

I cant decide between Aaron's Thor God Of Thunder and Waid's The Indestructible Hulk as the best. A distant third is Fraction's Fantastic Four (Fraction is no Hickman).

The rest were pure vanilla. One would have to be a real diehard Iron Man and Captain America fan to enjoy the reboots. The X titles same old tired story about mutant racism and maniacal mutants. I dont like the mutants (my love of X titles more or less ceased with the departure of longtime writer Chris Claremont).

All there is left is Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers and Slott's Superior Spider-Man which all debut in January.

But hey I am a DC dude anyways.

• Like 1