Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Study: Atheists Have Lowest 'Retention Rate'

markdohle

Dear God,

I pray that this post will have 10 likes. It must happen within one week or else you're not real.

Sincerely,

me

P.S. i noe this wont work lol but w/e prove me wrong UM members

^_^

• Like 1

Dear God,

I pray that this post will have 10 likes. It must happen within one week or else you're not real.

Sincerely,

me

P.S. i noe this wont work lol but w/e prove me wrong UM members

^_^

It won't work because God doesn't understand text speak... and neither do I

It won't work because God doesn't understand text speak... and neither do I

uhh ok. this wasnt meant to be taken seriously btw :no:

uhh ok. this wasnt meant to be taken seriously btw :no:

I didn't take it seriously..I never take text speak seriously lol....Just kidding.. I knew you were only playing, with the post you made praying to God :P But on a serious note.. I never like to read or use text speak..I am just odd like that.!!

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Well this is true for the atheists I have met.. They all say - they want their kids to chose later in life...But that is only the ones I have spoken to...that doesn't mean other atheists would not raise their kids to be atheist lol

That is exactly right, we want our children to be free to make their own choices without the burden of parents barring down on them with their way of life.

im sure if there is a god he could give a rats ass on who believes he is real or not.

• 2 weeks later...

Athiests dont raise their children to be athiests. They raise them to think for themselves, unlike many of the religions listed in the OP.

Let the finger pointing and name calling begin. Or not. Preferably not.

if someone raises a child to think for him/her self does that mean they pretty much don't require parenting? Children are very aware of the thoughts and beliefs of their parents. It will affect them in one way or another. I think it's great that so many that are raised atheist and grow up and become more aware.

Being raised as an atheist has its own shortcoming. Basically you are raised without a really powerful stimulant and analgesic, which is religion. It can help when the child becomes a part of the intellectual sector of the society, but when he/she faces a great ordeal, then it can be a make it or break it situation.

Rubbish... Look, the door swings both ways. I am certain that this type of coming and going from one belief to the next or to the "lack-there-of" is influenced by many factors.

Being raised as an atheist has its own shortcoming. Basically you are raised without a really powerful stimulant and analgesic, which is religion. It can help when the child becomes a part of the intellectual sector of the society, but when he/she faces a great ordeal, then it can be a make it or break it situation.

Why does religion have to be the stimulant or the analgesic?

I was raised Christian, taught to literally fear God.

As an adult I've since learned that religion is a business and a very lucrative one at that. Ones personal stimulant should be the God inside each person. That's faith. And analgesic should be used gingerly at best.

If I may ask...what does that entail exactly?

I mean, if a child is raised to be religious the parents are accused of indoctrinating their children. Isn't that a different form of indoctrination?

IMO, you bring in a good point Michelle, as a parent myself I have put much thought and great care in how I present ideas, because any idea can become dogmatic.

The reality is as a parent I think there is always a way to present something in a neutral manner. 'For me' the goal is to encourage my kids to think for themselves and impart the tools that best motivate this, not tell them what they should think. I have 3 sons- 2 are exploring religious paths, one is not. In our home, we embrace diversity and on going discussions so we all can grow in openness and fairness.

Edited by Sherapy

• 2 months later...

I think ALIENS showed us religion to help us become more civilized and that religion is just pretty much guidelines to good morals and to keep us away from barbaric killing and mindless destruction! ANCIENT ALIENS THEORY!, my hair is a bird by the way...

IMO, you bring in a good point Michelle, as a parent myself I have put much thought and great care in how I present ideas, because any idea can become dogmatic.

The reality is as a parent I think there is always a way to present something in a neutral manner. 'For me' the goal is to encourage my kids to think for themselves and impart the tools that best motivate this, not tell them what they should think. I have 3 sons- 2 are exploring religious paths, one is not. In our home, we embrace diversity and on going discussions so we all can grow in openness and fairness.

tumblr_l9ih17opWS1qc45nxo1_500.png

• Like 2

Where can I find real information on what "most but not all atheists" think? I mean...besides here, of course. :D

It's interesting to think that because atheist parents don't believe in God, they don't push their beliefs on their kids. I never thought that only the belief in God carries that dynamic in raising one's children. Oops, I still don't! Because I wouldn't want to get the idea that most atheists don't have any beliefs worth teaching their kids. :innocent:

Yes I know that cute kitty cats and atheism are both so freaking popular, I should never ever rub two words together in opposition to either one. But I will accept the study as valid and be open-minded to additional studies that may come. Retention rate is an interesting variable. To me it's an excellent measure of satisfaction that one didn't seek out alternatives and actually switch to one. I don't join in generalizing all Christians as this, or all atheists as that, because there are remarkable amounts of individuality in everyone. But if we do negatively generalize religion as indoctrination and positively generalize atheism as logic, then logic is losing the battle for hearts and minds according to this study and that's interesting enough to me.

In an atheist household, nobody is indoctrinated. They are free to think what they want. Atheism is simply not believing. People who go from Atheism to a relegion as usually more informed and know what they're getting in to, rather than indoctrinated children just doing what they only know.

Good point. Though many atheist who leave their faith actually don't get it as well. Again, there are exceptions I know. I have stayed in my faith because at a very young age I studied it, the good, the bad and the ugly as well as what is beautiful and transcendent.

peace

mark

• Like 1

but wat about dinosaurs?!!?!? do u believe in dinosaurs!?!?!? evolution?!?! i bet yur gonna say no ^_^

You don't read much do you, or least not outside what backs up you narrow understanding of a very complex and important aspect of human life. Science has nothing to say about God, and many believers from the days of Darwin have no trouble with evolution or science for that matter.

peace

mark

Yes I know that cute kitty cats and atheism are both so freaking popular

The Pew Forum, who's research this is, says that 1.6% of the US are atheist. You have an interesting definition of freaking popular.

But if we do negatively generalize religion as indoctrination and positively generalize atheism as logic, then logic is losing the battle for hearts and minds according to this study and that's interesting enough to me.

Alternately - perhaps what it's illustrating is that it's much harder to get out of an organised religion than it is to get out of atheism.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Y'see, when people get older they start to believe and read their holy books because as George Carlin said "They're cramming for their final exam"