Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Circumcision ruled as 'bodily harm'

ouija ouija

Oh I would just love to see what would happen if they banned religiously based circumcision because of one botched job. Heads would roll.

Sounds like one already did...

http://www.circinfo.net/

SUMMARY

Circumcision of males represents a "surgical vaccine" against a wide variety of infections, adverse medical conditions and potentially fatal diseases over their lifetime, and also protects their sexual partners. In experienced hands, this common, inexpensive procedure is very safe, and can be pain-free. Although it can be performed at any age, the ideal time is infancy. The benefits vastly outweigh risks. The public health benefits are enormous, and include protection from urinary tract infections, that are common over the lifetime, inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis. In women circumcision of the male partner provides substantial protection from cervical cancer, genital herpes, bacterial vaginosis (formerly termed "gardnerella"), possibly Chlamydia (that can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy), and other infections.

Circumcision has socio-sexual benefits and reduces sexual problems with age and diabetes. It has no adverse effect on penile sensitivity, erectile function, or sensation during sexual arousal and is reported to enhance the sexual experience for men. Most women prefer the circumcised penis for appearance, hygiene, lower infection risk and sexual activity. At least half of all uncircumcised males will develop one or more problems over their lifetime caused by their foreskin, and many will suffer and die as a result. The benefits exceed the risks by over 100 to 1, and if fatalities are taken into account in men and their sexual partners the benefit is orders of magnitude higher than this. Given the convincing epidemiological evidence and biological support, routine

circumcision should be highly recommended by all health professionals.

First link I saw when asked about health benefits.

I think penises are ugly either way, they're not an attractive thing at all.

Sexually transmitted diseases are carried through body fluids, so if a penis has foreskin or not the only thing that can protect it is a condom.

How can skin or no skin decide who gets thrush and who doesn't? If the man properly cleans himself there should be no problem for anyone.

http://www.circinfo.net/

SUMMARY

Circumcision of males represents a "surgical vaccine" against a wide variety of infections, adverse medical conditions and potentially fatal diseases over their lifetime, and also protects their sexual partners. In experienced hands, this common, inexpensive procedure is very safe, and can be pain-free. Although it can be performed at any age, the ideal time is infancy. The benefits vastly outweigh risks. The public health benefits are enormous, and include protection from urinary tract infections, that are common over the lifetime, inferior genital hygiene, smegma, sexually transmitted HIV, oncogenic types of human papillomavirus, genital herpes, syphilis and chancroid, penile cancer, and possibly prostate cancer, phimosis, paraphimosis, thrush, and inflammatory skin conditions such as balanitis and balanoposthitis. In women circumcision of the male partner provides substantial protection from cervical cancer, genital herpes, bacterial vaginosis (formerly termed "gardnerella"), possibly Chlamydia (that can cause pelvic inflammatory disease, infertility, and ectopic pregnancy), and other infections.

Circumcision has socio-sexual benefits and reduces sexual problems with age and diabetes. It has no adverse effect on penile sensitivity, erectile function, or sensation during sexual arousal and is reported to enhance the sexual experience for men. Most women prefer the circumcised penis for appearance, hygiene, lower infection risk and sexual activity. At least half of all uncircumcised males will develop one or more problems over their lifetime caused by their foreskin, and many will suffer and die as a result. The benefits exceed the risks by over 100 to 1, and if fatalities are taken into account in men and their sexual partners the benefit is orders of magnitude higher than this. Given the convincing epidemiological evidence and biological support, routine

circumcision should be highly recommended by all health professionals.

First link I saw when asked about health benefits.

A lot of old wives tales, A babies foreskin prevents infection, what you shouldn't do is force it back.

• Like 1

Sexually transmitted diseases are carried through body fluids, so if a penis has foreskin or not the only thing that can protect it is a condom.

How can skin or no skin decide who gets thrush and who doesn't? If the man properly cleans himself there should be no problem for anyone.

Complete and circumcised look pretty much the same when aroused

This is a no-brainer, does anyone seriously believe circumcision practices arose from hygiene considerations ? If you do, go stand in the corner of the room for 20 minutes.

• Like 1

Yes through bodily fluids into the bloodstream. With an uncircumcised penis, virus' and infections can get under the foreskin and get into the bloodstream a lot easier than a circumcised penis.

A Cochrane meta-analysis of studies done on sexually active men in Africa found that circumcision reduces the infection rate of HIV among heterosexual men by 38%-66% over a period of 24 months,[22] and studies have concluded it is cost effective in sub-Saharan Africa.[23] World Health Organization recommendations state that male circumcision should be considered as part of a comprehensive program for prevention of HIV transmission in areas with high endemic rates of HIV.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

People from different countries are going to have different opinions on it too.

Global_Map_of_Male_Circumcision_Prevalence_at_Country_Level.png

With the amount of HIV/AIDS myths and bad advice, some of these arguments are promoting the idea once you're circumcised you can have sex with who ever you like without risk.

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

If it came between it being more sensitive and *ahem* lasting longer, I've found the general consensus is preferably the latter. :innocent:

Where you are seeing from the beneficiaries point of view, not from the victims.

With the amount of HIV/AIDS myths and bad advice, these some of these arguments are promoting the idea once you're circumcised you can have sex with who ever you like without risk.

^THIS

I have also read that this study done in Africa could not be repeated in the USA with the same results. I also like to point out, that most HIV infected US Americans are circumcised. If you want to be safe, wear a condom!

There is also dispute around this site, circinfo.net. The owner is apparently member of a couple of dubious groups .called Gilga Society or the CuttingClub, and even accused of being a "circumcision fetishists". Thus, and some of his weird claims (connection between having a foreskin and homosexuality) make me look for other sources of information.

Edit: There is also a picture involving an infant in the "humor" section of said site that I find very disturbing. I won't link it directly.

Edited by FLOMBIE

Where you are seeing from the beneficiaries point of view, not from the victims.

I beg your pardon...that was directly out of the horse's mouth, not mine. Except I did say it a lot more politely.

I beg your pardon...that was directly out of the horse's mouth, not mine. Except I did say it a lot more politely.

Yes, but as it could be understood as if you were implying to concur I just wanted to add a little clarification...

• Like 1

Anyways everyone ill catch up with this conversation as I can by Monday ill be back at full attention for discussion.

;)

I don't get why it would be banned when the person wouldnt even remember it when they're older. Ahh. Oh well, I can see where it's coming from, in a way.

Guys look better circumicised anyhow. Someone had to say it. lmao

One small cut for man one giant ouch for mankind. :tu:

I don't get why it would be banned when the person wouldnt even remember it when they're older. Ahh. Oh well, I can see where it's coming from, in a way.

What makes you so sure that the person wouldn't remember the event when they're older? As mentioned earlier in this topic, it's a difficult/impossible situation to speak out about because if the circumcised man does so he is at one and the same time 'attacking'/criticising his parents, his religion and his community.

And in my opinion, an unmutilated man looks better .........

What makes you so sure that the person wouldn't remember the event when they're older? As mentioned earlier in this topic, it's a difficult/impossible situation to speak out about because if the circumcised man does so he is at one and the same time 'attacking'/criticising his parents, his religion and his community.

And in my opinion, an unmutilated man looks better .........

As practiced in the US the procedure is done before the child and mother leave hospital. I don't know many folks who have memories of what was going on when they were 3 days old. I do have a cousin, though, who had the procedure done when he decided to marry. He was 24 and HE remembers it quite well :(

As practiced in the US the procedure is done before the child and mother leave hospital. I don't know many folks who have memories of what was going on when they were 3 days old. I do have a cousin, though, who had the procedure done when he decided to marry. He was 24 and HE remembers it quite well :(

What inspired your cousin to do that ?

What inspired your cousin to do that ?

I have NO CLUE. Maybe it was something his fiancee' wanted... I was only about 9 at the time but I knew what circumcision was and it freaked me out a little that he'd inflict that kind of pain and discomfort on himself. I think at that age I'd have been a little cowardly about the whole process :no:

I have NO CLUE. Maybe it was something his fiancee' wanted... I was only about 9 at the time but I knew what circumcision was and it freaked me out a little that he'd inflict that kind of pain and discomfort on himself. I think at that age I'd have been a little cowardly about the whole process :no:

I remember when I was a kid, the boy next door who was about 9 or ten so nagged his mother to be circumcized, so he could be like his friends, she took him to a doctor and had it done. Pretty silly, the poor devil obviously had low self esteem and other problems, and I heard years later he died in his 20's from drug addiction. Tell me, is your cousin still married to that woman ?

I remember when I was a kid, the boy next door who was about 9 or ten so nagged his mother to be circumcized, so he could be like his friends, she took him to a doctor and had it done. Pretty silly, the poor devil obviously had low self esteem and other problems, and I heard years later he died in his 20's from drug addiction. Tell me, is your cousin still married to that woman ?

They divorced after 30 years and 3 children. He changed careers, remarried and had another child and became wealthy so it doesn't seem to have harmed him :)

Kind of like feet binding? Or cranial deformation? Aesthetic purposes.
  • Like 1

Circumcision isn't a funny subject, except I recall from schooldays a boy who wrote an essay about early seafaring explorers, which included a paragraph about Matthew Flinders circumcising Tasmania, which would probably have been more gruelling than circumnavigating it.

• Like 2

Circumcision isn't a funny subject, except I recall from schooldays a boy who wrote an essay about early seafaring explorers, which included a paragraph about Matthew Flinders circumcising Tasmania, which would probably have been more gruelling than circumnavigating it.

I'm sure the people of Tasmania are still regretting the loss of valuable real estate.

• Like 1

I went to my friends son's circumcision a last week (a Jewish ceremony). We all had food in the garden before the men gathered in the room to watch the circumcision. Wasn't much fun to watch, but everyone seemed quite pleased afterwards. After attending this event and reading this thread it made me understand the stalemate seen in this thread. For most men your position on circumcision is made for you, if you have had the chop you will be pro, if not then anti with a few stragglers in between...

There are pro's and con's to both sides of the argument but I now see circumcision as another difference between us that we can squabble over until we are blue in the face.

I will leave this one for the women to discuss as for them it is more likely to be a choice rather than a rule.

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 1