Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant owl photographed at Carrizo Springs

Saru

i don't even think i could hold it up with one arm, so it's fake!

The skeletal structures of birds are hollow. That bird, if it truly is a bird of that size, would weigh well under 100 pounds.

Regardless, I cannot say one way or the other; this world as an uncanny way of surprising me.

Edited by Paradigm2929

There isn't going to be any carcass. It was stolen by the Giant Mutant Owl community to "protect the species". :rolleyes: I guess it turns out that the Giant Owls are actually in league with Bigfoots all over and the Bigfoot lobbyists leaned hard on the Owl supporters because they were afraid of the consequences of a Giant Owl undergoing scientific scrutiny.

Its really amazing when you think about it......I'd think that the Footers would have their hands full confiscating and burying all their own dead bigfoots to keep science from ever verifying its existence. :D

Man! Do you have any idea how much of your day is taken up burying bigfoots if you're a Sworn Brother of the Bigfoot Defenders Guild, and live in Northern Oregon. The driving around lone takes hours and hours. And you always have to be scanning the sky for that big supernatural footprint in the clouds that announces, "Man (err... Squatch) Down!".

• Like 1

I'd guess such a big bird would be 25 to 30 pounds. Bigger then that and your approaching the size of a pre-schooler. Even an adult male condor usually only gets up to 30 pounds.

Edited by DieChecker

As a turkey hunter, I know that I've picked up 20 pound birds (dead) and we've been able to pick them up by the end of the wing feathers and take pictures. I think the way they have it picked up is certainly possible. The wing feathers are anchored pretty deep, I would imagine, and can probably bear the entier birds weight for a short time.

As a turkey hunter, I know that I've picked up 20 pound birds (dead) and we've been able to pick them up by the end of the wing feathers and take pictures. I think the way they have it picked up is certainly possible. The wing feathers are anchored pretty deep, I would imagine, and can probably bear the entier birds weight for a short time.

Thanks for adding that, nice to hear something that is from first hand experience, don't know if its enough to make me rethink my position though.

The analysis in the link you posted seems to point out these discrepancies, and could well be spot on. but the comment about the man in the jacket removed the guys credibility for me.

Interesting - him pointing that out is kind of what sold it for me.

Have you ever been to Texas in July?

Interesting - him pointing that out is kind of what sold it for me.

Have you ever been to Texas in July?

Lol, conflicting view points from the same statement.

No I haven't been to Texas in July (unfortunately, I would love to travel more). I guess you are saying its very very very hot.

My point is that he (analysis man) may not know the reasons for the jacket, granted its may be to hot for a jacket, but there are always people like this. They may be uncomfortable wearing short sleeves, have a noticable deformity, feel 'cool' (that's like a dude) in a jacket, wanted to look more official in the photo, it might have been a slightly cooler day, he might be henpecked, there seems to be another man in the photo in a long sleeved top too. Some of these arguments are weak but may be possible reasons.

In England its a bit (well a lot really) colder than Texas, our 'people like this' work on the other end of the spectrum. No matter how cold or wet it is, while we are wearing jackets and scarf's, some bloke is out and about in a t-shirt, apparently impervious to the cold, big grin on his face looking at us softies wrapping up to protect us from the elements.

Also the original image may not have been taken in July but just put into circulation recently (I only re-read the article quickly so forgive me if I'm wrong here). The photo could have been staged at any time before its circulation.

It is interesting that we both drew opposite conclusions from the same statement yet share a similar view point on the authenticity of the image. but that's what keeps us posting. :tu:

Edited by Junior Chubb

Looks like it could maybe be another large type of bird of prey like osprey, eagle or hawk with head hanging down to the right in fuzzy photo. Could it be a South American species like harpy eagle.

Found a better picture on another site, photoshopped I'd say or the largest barn owl ever. http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/showthread.php?p=5512416

Deja vu? ;)

Before you ask, I often wear my jacket in the Texan sun, if you don't believe me ask Rafeterman...

walrusBird.jpg

Edited by Junior Chubb
  • Like 2

Are there any decent versions of this photo online?

It's not hard to Photoshop something like this with a bit of skill and my immediate reaction is that it's fake.

The photograph contains artifacts that shouldn't be present. I might be talking out of my rear though.

Deja vu? ;)

BTW I often wear my jacket in the Texan sun...

walrusBird.jpg

Thanks for posting a good version of it (Walrus Man rocks btw!)

Definitely 100% Photoshop fake.

Walrus Man's fingers are all screwed up, as is the edging of the factory wall just above the owl's wing on that side.

There's heaps more little telltale signs but those alone are more than conclusive.

• Like 1

Also, is it just me or does the concrete seem to merge with one of a different shade?

Walrus Man's fingers are all screwed up, as is the edging of the factory wall just above the owl's wing on that side.

:lol: :lol:

Thanks Dolly, glad you appreciate the Walrus...

He likes you too :blush:

Edited by Junior Chubb

In the picture it looks like some kind of string, or small rope going from the top of the garage door down to the birds left wing (right wing as we see it). Could it be supporting some of it's weight ? Or, am I not seeing what I think I'm seeing ?

Also, is it just me or does the concrete seem to merge with one of a different shade?

Looks that way.

In the picture it looks like some kind of string, or small rope going from the top of the garage door down to the birds left wing (right wing as we see it). Could it be supporting some of it's weight ? Or, am I not seeing what I think I'm seeing ?

It might be something running diagonally down that brick wall....?

something else that screams out Photoshop fake for me, is the expression on the face of the cop on the left of picture. He's grinning like an idiot as though in actuality he's holding up something (that's been airbrushed out) which he knows the viewer of the photo will find amusing.

A cop posing for a soon-to-be world famous photo, holding the corpse of a legendary giant spirit owl isn't going to go with that kind of dickish expression.

Glad you are enjoying the picture, but please avoid using it for analysis.

This is a re-saved version of the image from the thread Rafterman linked to. That images quality was poor enough, but this one has been reduced in size, had colour, levels and contrast adjustments before being saved for the web (a low quality jpeg looses definition).

If we want to analyse the image we really need the original...

Its probably in a folder with the Thunderbird photo somewhere though.

I don't recall hearing anything about it on any of the local San Antonio tv stations.Yes, there is a town called Carrizo Springs,west of San Antonio.I think it's the county seat of Dimmit County.Crystal City, also in the same area is the seat of Zavala County,which has a statue of Popeye the Sailorman and an annual Spinach Festival. This must be the biggest thing to hit Carrizo Springs since the Eagle Ford Shale and the oil fracking. Never heard of Pro8 News, unless it's a tv station out of Del Rio or El Paso.

Not much really to do out in that part of Texas,so they came up with this one. If the owl is for real, then they need to contact the Texas Parks and Wildlife,or UTSA or UT Austin to let them check it out.

I think it looks fake,but maybe a freak owl with giantism.Animals,as well as people exist with giantism.

So it might be a giant owl,but personally I think it looks fake to me.