Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing Iowa Girls

Keel M.

I'm still wondering what kind of evidence they have ( allegedly ) leading them to believe that the two girls are still alive.

• Like 1

A chilling report from a local-ish news site:

http://www.kcrg.com/...-164615776.html

For perspective, Cedar Rapids is around an hour south on I-380, the highway that runs by the bike trail.

I just read about two more attempts in Story County last Wednesday.

http://ames.patch.co...in-story-county

• Like 1

The comment thread from your link is interesting.

I wouldn't like to be driving a white van in central Iowa right now.

• Like 1

This a strange case for sure. Sort of looks like they disappered into thin air. There hasn't been news updates on this. I believe to police know something and aren't talking to the pulbic or the news.

Things like this make me terrified for when I have kids. It's like you have to keep them in a bubble to prevent anything bad from happening these days.

I hope they find those girls. They deserve to be back home with their families.

There are not as many stranger child abductions or even crime right now as there was in the seventies when my family let me play outside with my friends all day. There is more news about abductions, not more.

There are not as many stranger child abductions or even crime right now as there was in the seventies when my family let me play outside with my friends all day. There is more news about abductions, not more.

My uncle was an nypd sergeant .

He was teaching me from the time I could talk .

NEVER go with a stranger,even if they tell you stuff about your mom ..NEVER go near a car if someone stops near you and asks a question .NEVER NEVER NEVER.Stick them in the eye with your house key if they grab you.Kick scream .

My uncle instilled all of this into me .

Even when i was older ,HIT THEM WITH YOUR SHOE HEEL ,ALWAYS CHECK THE BACK SEAT OF YOUR CAR BEFORE YOU GET IN !

He saw so much bad stuff,he was just like this .

Well good thing he was.

Twice ,someone tried to grab me.Same guy,different car .I was about 12 .He pulled up in a red car,going same direction i was.

He asked me directions ,which I was good at.I gave him directions....,and then started to talk low and whisper .My uncle said they do this so you move closer to the car to hear them,and when you get close,they grab you .

The first time,I started walking away,and he slowly followed me and kept talking. I was on the sidewalk,so quite a distance from the street,but he was creepy. I bolted and he chased me . I ran up to a house banging on the door,and he kept going back and forth. They finally came to the door,and I called my mom to come pick me up .I was around the corner from my home.

The second time,he was driving in the opposite direction I was walking,and as soon as he pulled up ,I bolted .He was facing the other way so...again,around the corner from home,opposite street.He was in a blue car that time .

When I think of it now,he was probably stalking me. Not long after that,a little boy disappeared from a shopping center ,about a 5 min drive up our main avenue .

I can still see this guys face.....

• 2 weeks later...

There are updates... But they aren't encouraging. All they say is girls are still missing, folks are still looking. Or giving support- Cousins Law is gaining momentum.

• Like 1

You're right Rashore, my bad. What I meant is that last time we received new information was almost 1 month ago. It doesn't look good. :(

I don't know why this incident was reported.

Given the history and the circumstances, it's certainly not surprising, and I fail to see the purpose of reporting it.

Completly agree.

I've been thinking about this case, and about Robert Carpenter's sighting.

I think that whether or not Carpenter actually saw the girls that day isn't as interesting (to me) as the statements by him and his wife that they often saw the girls in that area before.

The family's of the girls have stated that the girls never rode that far- as far as the lake, that is, so this info should have been clarified.

I think it could be a resaonable conclusion that the family simply might not be aware of where the girls actually rode. Lyric wasn't where she was thought to be just the previous week.

If just one of the girls were truly often seen by Carpenter and/or others in the Carpenter's part of the neighborhood, then that should have been established during the door-to-doors.

Assuming it was determined as accurate, then I would wonder what it was that attracted them to that part of the neighborhood, and I would focus on that part of the neighborhood.

After all, that's the general vicinity of where their items were located.

• Like 2

I agree with that. The way I perceive it was the the Grandmother had been basically raising Lyric for quite some time. I think honestly (and this is just conjecture) that the Grandmother really had no clue of Lyric's overall coming and goings. It's not hugely unusual. I realize times have changed a bit, but I can clearly recall being of that age and having free reign in Evansdale, especially during the summer.

I grew up right down the road from the Grandma (on River Forest Rd) and it was no big deal to ride my bike down to the lake. The lake didn't have the bike trail at that time (it now circles the lake) but it had a old WW 2 army tank that we would play on. The tank is still there...but I don't know if that would still be an attraction, especially for girls.

I do think she (the Grandma) was just unaware of how far Lyric would actually go.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it's a rather naive notion that the girls wouldn't have gone that far. I realize it could be a startling revelation, but the girls could have arrived there in minutes, and it seems an obvious place to go.

It seems to me that the lake itself would be an attraction, but with the park and the trail, the area is even more so. Even those east woods might have an attraction for some kids.

I seem to recall it said that Lyric had been going to the grandmother's only recently.

That could explain why Mrs. Carpenter expressed more familiarity with Elizabeth.

It is sad these girls haven't been found yet. There are 15 convicted, registered sex offenders in the Evansdale area. They were riding their bikes. It seems common sense to me.

Imo, the longer this takes the less and less it seems the two drug troubled parents could have had anything to do with it.

And imo, the less likely the girls are alive or still in the United States.

How horrible. I can't even fathom the anguish of not knowing the fate of your child

Edited by QuiteContrary

• 1 month later...

Police say that the last reported sighting of the girls was between 12:30 and 1:00pm on Gilbert Drive, in the vicinity of Meyers Lake.

My question is why would they just now "reveal" this? How long have they known this? Surely, they don't expect memories to be better now than they were then!

Good night nurse.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20120914/NEWS01/309140045/Details-released-last-sighting-missing-Iowa-girls